Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Big Forum gathering

Re: Post Big Forum gathering

Football half time, Jack can now clear the stuff out the way in the garage so I can get my car out and go home funny priorities my son has

got to quickly get the thanks in first - will post more when I get home (after I have seen Feel & Grunt that is) better hurry second half will start in a mo

THANK YOU FRANCK, SHEENA the fantastic DJ's the great teachers and all the Ceroc team helpers - the best MJ weekender I have been on

And an extra extra special extra thanks to our Forum King

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    PHOTOS!!!

Please.......
    It's not letting me post my pictures...and i've been trying for 15 minutes!!! Hopefully i'll manage to get them posted 2morrow or the next day...or maybe i'll try again 2nite.

Ash x

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    It's not letting me post my pictures...and i've been trying for 15 minutes!!! Hopefully i'll manage to get them posted 2morrow or the next day...or maybe i'll try again 2nite.

Ash x
    There's a size limit I believe, I think it's 100K per file or something like that - maybe they're too big?

If you've got them as bitmaps (.bmp), you can make them smaller if you save them as JPEG or GIF? Failing that, most graphic programs (e.g. Paint Shop Pro) can reduce the sizes of images.

Failing that, mail them to Franck and ask him to post them, I'm sure he can do anything...

I am still on a high and in much need of sleep!!!

This weekend has just been FAB!!!!!!

Thank you to all the luverley dances that I have had this weekend with so many great partners.

BIG, BIG, BIG THANK YOU to Franck and Sheena for putting on such a great event and being just sooooo nice. to both for dances with each of you. Also thanks for post dance sandwiches and drinks on saturday night at the hotel. I especially enjoyed watching DavidB leading Sheena in a dance while sitting in his chair the whole time.

The venue was great with the main room downstairs and then latin room with Marc and Sheena and Blues room with CJ and Trampy

The workshops were soooo good and especially liked the style tips (Thanks Little Em!!) and Cuban Blues.

Can't wait to see the CD of the weekend so I can remember much more then I have taken in at the moment. Need sleep..........

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Surely there must be some more photos by now???????????
    True to form, I had my camera and took only a few photos...........but here they are

The Forum King and Queen
    Gadget and CJ dancing (and enjoying it A LOT!!!!)
    Franck and Rachel
    Minnie Mouse and Lisa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	482.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	3444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	483.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	3445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	484.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	3446   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	485.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	3447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	479.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	3448  

"If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Sorry CJ, but that was a favour to Rachel: she was annoyed that she hadn't had a dance with you or Franck, then you started dancing together... so I just stole & transferred to grant her wish - seemed a shame to waste a dance... You've got the hair, but Rachel is a much better mover

Re: BFG Tonic wow

Quote Originally Posted by JL

No truth in the rumour that the fire brigade were sent for to put out the candles on my birthday cake.

Heather,
    XX

PS The cake was delicious!! ( Happy birthday to you too !! )

Right, I've just had four hours sleep (which was probably a bit stupid, I'm wide awake now... never mind).

First up as most important - another huge thank you to Franck and all involved in organisation - the weekend went very smoothly. And as has already been mentioned by several people even laid on firemen specially (just please make sure it hasn't been raining next time? - we don't care if we burn down, but we want to keep our suede soles pristine).

Workshops:
    Gadget has already posted on some, here's my reviews...

Franck - Lead & follow basics
    Another 'what it said on the tin'. Closed eyes lead and follow, compression exercise (although only with a playing card, not a fiver, shame...). I particularly liked the leverage exercise - trying to keep a 4" length of ribbon 'taut' between us. I even got to keep the gorgeous orange ribbon as a souvenir, it's going on my suitcase to ID it at baggage reclaim next time I also appreciated that Franck made the guys try to follow (and the ladies lead) - I've led a couple of times before, but only a couple, so we were all awful - and it gave an insight into how difficult it is for the other role.

Bill - Double trouble intro
    Some very useful insight into technique/style for DT as well as the moves. Not much else to say about this one except that it was great fun!

Franck - using the lady's left hand
    As Gadget has already indicated, this gave a great insight into balance and doubles a guy's repertoire of moves! It also highlights any hints of backleading/anticipation... Not too sure about catching the left hand out of a spin - this may be my balance as much as anything, but IMO, guys: if you want to 'catch' left handed, we won't be expecting it and as catches need to be fairly firm, it could hurt if you aren't careful please. Fantastically good fun, I shall be trying to persuade some of the guys at my regular venues to give it a go, who's up for it? (trying left-hand leading that is...)

Franck - controlling the frame in a slower tempo
    Some more 'advanced' lead and follow techniques - and fabulous innuendo potential when talking about 'matching the pressure' and maintaining connection at different bodily 'contact' points. My 'hand to hand' connection has, I think, improved massively over the last few weeks - but it was really useful to pinpoint that a) my 'back to lead's hand' connection is rubbish and needs work before I will be able to "get" those syncopated walks and b) my centre of balance is too far forward. Would be fascinating to hear what others got out of this workshop, it was "the one" of the weekend for me - still too much to assimilate to be any more specific about it sorry.

Emma - Style tips for women
    I have to say that this was the only one that didn't "do it" for me - through no fault of anyone but myself. I just couldn't get into the routine. I didn't hear anything but good of the workshop from those who stayed.

Franck - Fingertip leading
    Another really good fun one (I'm sorry I was naughty). Closed eyes exercises very useful, once again. I would love a more intermediate level workshop to follow this up with more 'look no hands' lead and follow - maybe next year?

I feel like my dancing has "disimproved" - but hopefully with the potential to be so much better once I've sorted out all that I've learned and got over the inevitable learning dip which happens when you try to take in too much at once! The "take-homes" for me to really focus on are definitely posture and balance.

Freestyles
    Far too many fabulous dances to list them all... the "one of the weekend" was, very luckily for me, my last one on Sunday night (the track before the last one) with McJester (lurker on here) and Gadget swapping me between them - without missing a beat. Made me feel like it was my birthday all over again, lovely!

The smallish number of people compared with many weekenders made it possible to find those you wanted to dance with again. And standards were definitely averagely very high - a real privilege to dance with some of you guys, thank you.

"The rest"...
    Just lovely lovely lovely to put faces to so many names on here and meet others again - too many to list. Sorry I missed dancing with some of you (the Smurf and Tiggerbabe are two that spring to mind). The hotel was comfortable (thanks for the recommendation Your Majesty (Lory)) and breakfast was superb, really set you up well for the day.

Really appreciated the alternative therapies - Bill's massage was BTC and I can't thank Aleks enough - enjoyed our lunch together too.

It wouldn't be fair to compare Scotland with Southport - they were both so different. But if I could only go to *one*... I'd be heading to Luton airport, not up the M1.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    For those that are interested, here's a little flavour of what I got up to at the BFG dance on Friday and through Saturday.

I expect I'll post a post-Sunday report in the wee hours tonight, and then a post-mortem report on Monday.
    As promised...

Here's my Sunday report and my whole weekend round-up.

For best results, you're better reading them in order...

Would love to get some comments on these posts... Let us know if you recognise yourself anywhere...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Back home again, about to crawl into bed to attempt to rest my poor abused body.

Just wanted to say thank you all for fantastic weekend, the dancing I knew was going to be great, (I was telling Frank how lucky he was to have so many lovely ladies to dance with all the time).

But the friendliness and the welcome was wonderful as always.

Lara and myself had a superb time. Too many high points to mention.

Thank you again

Nick
    (From Devon - Not Manchester, contrary to some vicious rumours)

PS - Looks like I'll be in Hammersmith on Saturday, and highly likely I'llbe upto Aberdeen in November. (Have already checked flights and rota) Hopefully see some of you there.

PPS - All visitors to "sunnyish" Devon welcome

Ooooh, what a nice avatar you've got, Ducasi!

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    ....... standards were definitely averagely very high - a real privilege to dance with some of you guys, thank you.
    considering how long some of the guys had been dancing (eg: Ducassi & Killingtime) techncally I can put it that down to the excellant teachers you have in Scotland but what sense of fun and musicality too, I loved all my dances - thank you

there were some really special 'thank you's too - apologies for the 'yuck' bit but ...... to all my special dances (and you know who you are ) wow, wow and another wow CJ you rock and dancing with Gadget was like the advert from Lost in fact every dance I had was truly fantastic thank you all

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    It wouldn't be fair to compare Scotland with Southport - they were both so different. But if I could only go to *one*... I'd be heading to Luton airport, not up the M1

No comparison at all, however it can be compared with some of the events we have down south (many of which I have worked on) but this was different ISFA it felt like a party with all my best friends who I don't see very often - I had more hugs this weekend than the rest of the year put together - I love you all

Special thanks to Brady, Dave H, Claire S, Janet etc., for looking after me so well, and to my mate Northants Girly and her lovely man Really lovely seeing Linda up and dancing again and fantastic seeing the lovely Chicklet again and hopefully she too will be dancing again soon

Nothing more to say about the BFG that has already said before, I only did David & Lily's classes due to taking in other things BFG and Scotland had to offer. These guys are the masters, and we are so lucky to have them in the UK AND on our forum

I am sorry I missed the Friday party, I was at Route66 (just had to do it) - DD is my hero, just wish he could clone himself so we could have him down here - thank you for making me feel so welcome and letting me dance my little socks off, I had a fab time

and last, but certainly not least ..........

for those who didn't get a chance - try a taste of Kinesiology I had a 40minute (stretched a bit though ) with Alek on Sunday morning truly amazing I hobbled in with sore aching limbs, but primarily for help with my bad foot (I have heel spur/plante faschitus) for those who danced with me Sunday night, you would never had known - I had NO PAIN whatsoever - truly amazing I could do with another session today - any chance we can clone her too please

(got home in time to see Feel & Grunt on Freeview - great to have them back)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 25th-October-2005 at 10:53 AM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    for those who didn't get a chance - try a taste of Kinesiology I had a 40minute (stretched a bit though ) with Alek on Sunday morning truly amazing

I had a session with Aleks too and it was amazing

Recommend a foot massage to anyone if they get the chance!!

oh.... just remembered.... did anyone see the 'Double Trouble' with Cruella, Dave H and Brady - Cruella lead the two boys and did a fantastic job too - much better than some of the competition ones and was fun too

--ooOoo--

Why thank you... It's a real work of art, don't you think?

I've got a plan to "enhance" it a little... Might have a go this evening...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by animaltalk
    But the friendliness and the welcome was wonderful as always.

Lara and myself had a superb time. Too many high points to mention.
    Thank you again...
    Couldn't agree more, had a wonderful time, everyone was so friendly, had some brilliant dances, thankyou to all the lovely men.

Deffinately say it was well organised (Many thanks to Franck and team for doing a brilliant job) and was such a friendly atmosphere where I got to meet loads of people rather than losing them in a crowd like bigger venues!

Thanks to the girlies that introduced themselves too, nice to get to know girlies as well as guys as you don't tend to normally, lovely to meet you all.

Workshops were great!!! Loved James and Mels' classes a lot of fun, Marc and Rachel were great as always and David and Lilly's class was wicked! Little Em's class is not normally my kinda thing, I'm not particularly funky, but I really enjoyed it, great fun. Only regrets were that I couldn't do all the classes and missing Simon's class in the morning cos I was a wimp and slept in!!! Thanks to Simon for the lovely dances and comliments though

I'm still all buzzy inside, I want more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by animaltalk
    ...PPS - All visitors to "sunnyish" Devon welcome
    more than welcome...greatly longed for!!!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow! and Thank you!

The above sums up my feelings towards the week-end.

I felt very lucky, humbled and privileged by everyone who attended, so thank you for your kind words, enthusiasm, passion and the many dances.
    Once I had got over the initial stress and rushing around making sure everything was running smoothly, I was able to enjoy every minute of the event. Every dance, every class I taught, every class I attended (and the many more I wished I could have joined in). The tea-dances, the socializing, the music, in all the rooms.
    I have never been so proud of my team (teachers, DJs, managers), all the dancers from Scotland and all the lovely forumites and visitors.

I wish I had the time and energy to list all the highlights but I would be bound to forget some...

I have taken on board some of the comments and have decided to improve the format for the BFG 2006!

First of all, the biggest complaint was the weather, it rained! So next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May. This is the best time to visit Scotland, and while I can't guarantee good weather, I'm confident Scotland will be at its most beautiful and sunny!

I will make small changes to the timetable to include a clearer lunch break and if anyone has any other suggestions / improvements, post them here or drop me a PM / email.

The BFG is just an event, and I'm glad everything went smoothly, but what truly made it work, was the variety and friendliness of people who attended.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May.

Oooh, back to back with Camber

........next year, the BFG will be on the 12th/13th/14th May

The weekend after Franco's Camber ..... gosh going to be a busy fortnight

Extra Note:
    Thank you to all my Minnie Mouse 'look-a-likes' you did me proud, I looked pretty, very sexy and even the Minnie in the very pretty pink outfit looked fantastic
    Last edited by Minnie M; 25th-October-2005 at 03:20 PM.

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

I will make small changes to the timetable to include a clearer lunch break and if anyone has any other suggestions / improvements, post them here or drop me a PM / email.
    How about a drinky bash before the first dance for "outsider" forumites to know a few more "locals" in advance - I still hardly know anyone even though I went to dances and workshops

Apart from that I can't think of anything else I'd change - even the weather

Thread Information