Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you lead to Dance or Dance to lead?

Do you lead to Dance or Dance to lead?

I Definitely Lead to Dance. This is like a conversation, you invite the lady into a lead, if she accepts, can handle it or does something with it, then I proceed to showing her my well oiled moves.

Each move being introduced in the same way, like a conversation.

My leading has taken time to arrive at its present state, like water going down a river, over time; the water will find the shorted path to the ocean.

This is why the semicircle to the left was Dropped and one to the right adopted, When I Dance, I don’t expected the lady to step back and forward, unless I lead it so. The Semicircle to the right is done to get her to twist as she comes to me. I find moves easier to lead this way and the ladies I dance with seem to like it.

Lead to dance; this way, you dance with the lady, not at her.

Do I hear any arguments to the contra?

Commercial Operator

Re: Do you lead to Dance or Dance to lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Teeth
    and the ladies I dance with seem to like it.
    Nothing to do with the muscular body, good looks and charm?

Sorry I don't get what you mean by "Dance to lead"

Be Well,
    Christopher

I Definitely Lead to Dance. This is like a conversation, you invite the lady into a lead, if she accepts, can handle it or does something with it, then I proceed to showing her my well oiled moves.

Each move being introduced in the same way, like a conversation.

My leading has taken time to arrive at its present state, like water going down a river, over time; the water will find the shorted path to the ocean.

This is why the semicircle to the left was Dropped and one to the right adopted, When I Dance, I don’t expected the lady to step back and forward, unless I lead it so. The Semicircle to the right is done to get her to twist as she comes to me. I find moves easier to lead this way and the ladies I dance with seem to like it.

Lead to dance; this way, you dance with the lady, not at her.

Do I hear any arguments to the contra?

I'm not entirely clear about what you mean on this one - because I'm sure you are not talking about leading the lady into improv.

I think I would need you to demonstrate with me sometime to fully understand what you mean. OK, OK, actually that would be a serious request (honest ). And I notice you write dropped with a capital D, so do you mean dropped to a lower position or dropped as in not doing it?

I agree with the sentiment of talking/dancing WITH someone and not AT them. Trying to describe how to do that I am willing to bet is going to open the floodgates........................

M

Who needs dance for dance's sake? I am very controlling and just use it as a means to control as many women in one night as possible. Very rewarding, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    Who needs dance for dance's sake? I am very controlling and just use it as a means to control as many women in one night as possible. Very rewarding, I tell you.
    Yeah right, that explains a lot

ZW

I dance to surrender control (although I do also like to disrupt proceedings occasionally ).

I like to be controlled by as many men as possible in one night. Very rewarding. Yes it is.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman

ZW

I dance to surrender control (although I do also like to disrupt proceedings occasionally ).

I like to be controlled by as many men as possible in one night. Very rewarding. Yes it is.
    Thats where i'm going wrong, it's not in my nature to be submissive

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Sorry I don't get what you mean by "Dance to lead"

Be Well,
    Christopher

You own pleasure comes first....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Is that the same as being a reciever not a giver?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella
    Is that the same as being a reciever not a giver?

Is one who leaks a Frog a taker or a giver?

Ok, this thread has gone awol...

Commercial Operator

I can confirm that ZW likes a muscular and lithe lion to drag her around the dancefloor by her hair

.....I dance to surrender control (although I do also like to disrupt proceedings occasionally ).

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Ah ok. I’m still thinking the following through so it’s not perfect, but might be of interest.

I normally dance with the lady, not at her. Better to let things flow than force them. However I’m finding there are moments when it works better to dance at her or indeed to let her dance at me, it changes the energy and dynamics of the move. Last night, I had a dance with a lady except for the final move. We both realised that the final move wouldn’t work if we danced with each other – the energy was wrong. So we both danced it at each other – worked great!

I’m moving away from “dance as a conversation” and towards “dance as two musicians jamming together”. Conversation to me means we don’t both talk at the same time. Whereas two musicians playing together may well play at the same time. I’ve been listening to Johnny B Goode and at times, both the piano and guitar plays and at others, just the one. So sometimes we’re both dancing, sometimes she’s doing sweet improv and I kick back and watch – think blues / jazz band when the piano player will just lean back and let the bass play and then when it feels right, lean forward and join it at just the right moment. Last night I led a lady into a Cerocspin and she nailed it perfectly. I just relaxed and watched her flying round and only offered my hand when it felt right to - caught hers as she finished beautifully on the third revolution and continued to flow into the next move.

Moving on from this, think of the entire dance floor as filled with musicians playing to or improvising around a song (whatever the DJ’s playing), but instead we’re using dance instead of instruments. So how I dance is also affected by the people around me and what they’re doing as well as the actual song. Likewise different people suit different types of music. Pianos are a lot more versatile than flutes.

Imagine a lady dancing around on her own. Now imagine she’s actually dancing with a ghost you can’t see. I’m not so much leading as feeling which movement flows for that point in time. Of course if I don’t know the movement that she would naturally do I run into problems. To a limited extent I can get around this by front-leading. I let the lady lead the move, but by keeping constant pressure with my hand and following just in front of her, it feels like I’m leading it. Think of running along in front of a moving car with one hand on the bonnet. The line between whether I’m leading or following changes. Indeed it could be argued that often I’m following the music with her.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, I’m happy to try and clarify

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I can confirm that ZW likes a muscular and lithe lion to drag her around the dancefloor by her hair
    Yeah, and when she can't stand it anymore she straddles the guy right on the dance floor scream out aloud 'YEEHAA'. Not sure how that works in with submission but she is female afer all, changing her mind from one second to another.

You surely mean it explains why I don't turn the ladies down, right?

I appreciate the conversation analogy(in theory this is what it should be) but is it really that equal when it is the guys who determine which move to do and when you do them.

Is it not more like giving a speech which you target to your audience and occassionaly asking for questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I’m moving away from “dance as a conversation” and towards “dance as two musicians jamming together”.
    That's a lovely analogy. You could take it further by talking about the different instruments that each dancer most resembles.

I wonder what instrument I'd be.
    (Swanee whistle?)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    That's a lovely analogy. You could take it further by talking about the different instruments that each dancer most resembles.

I wonder what instrument I'd be.
    (Swanee whistle?)
    Thanks. I have wondered about that. It works well with different people preferring say rock (electric guitar) or blues (sax) or being equally happy with everything (piano)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I’m moving away from “dance as a conversation” and towards “dance as two musicians jamming together”. Conversation to me means we don’t both talk at the same time. Whereas two musicians playing together may well play at the same time.
    Oh, we both talk at the same time. Just not always too each other.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ads View Post
    Is it not more like giving a speech which you target to your audience and occassionaly asking for questions!
    Not really, no. I use the conversation analogy a lot, but I do agree with Ghost that the jamming one describes it better.

In an idea dance, every 'lead' that I give my partner is met and responded to in an instand and very dynamic way. Assume a move that just has a standard left-to-right handhold - the way she responds to my lead will be something that I can instantly feel through my hand / arm / body - and I will be constantly adapting my own dancing and my own lead as a result of that response. And, of course, both sides are responding directly to the music - and feeding back to the other their own interpretations of the same.

I'm still directing the dance, but she has a direct input on every part of what I'm doing - the 'questions' as you put it are coming constantly, and being answered constantly. Remember - this type of lead isn't a command - it's an invitation - a suggestion.

This is a very differently style of lead / follow from what one begins learning in most Modern Jive classes, but it's a far more rewarding one. (It's also quite rewarding to teach, as I'm beginning to find out)

Thread Information