Page 10 of 92 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: World of Warcraft

used to use RogerWilko years ago for online games and hundreds of that type of program have come up since then.

More recently I' ve used Skype, which is fine for a game like WoW which is not a bandwidth hog.

Not heard of ventrilo - is it the best one ?
    (calling it a "broadband" system doesnt make it sound particularly efficient)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    used to use RogerWilko years ago for online games and hundreds of that type of program have come up since then.

More recently I' ve used Skype, which is fine for a game like WoW which is not a bandwidth hog.

Not heard of ventrilo - is it the best one ?
    (calling it a "broadband" system doesnt make it sound particularly efficient)
    Sorry, yes Ventrilo is the same as Roger Wilco (I used that as well before they made you pay for it).

Ventrilo isn't a broadband thing really, I just said that as I wouldn't want to use any chat software over a Dial-up. But yeah, as you say same as Skype, Roger Wilco etc etc. Just made by a different company.

I use Skype quite happily. I don't like Vent, for some reason. Probably the noises aren't as cool or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Sorry, yes Ventrilo is the same as Roger Wilco (I used that as well before they made you pay for it).

Ventrilo isn't a broadband thing really, I just said that as I wouldn't want to use any chat software over a Dial-up. But yeah, as you say same as Skype, Roger Wilco etc etc. Just made by a different company.
    Well some codecs can be bandwidth hogs. Often because they go for the best voice quality they can. I use TeamSpeak for my gaming comms which is free but you'll need to find a TeamSpeak server. I'll often host when it is just a few of my friends but for larger groups you'll need a fatter pipe on the server.

So Skype does n-way calls? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Do any of you use "Ventrilo"? Its a broadband voice-chatting system that allows you to talk to other people. I use it when playing WoW with my sister and her bloke. It makes it a lot easier to co-ordinate WoW playing.

Do a Google for Ventrilo and someone set it up. Then we can actually talk to each other whilst playing instead of the WoW typing system.

yeah - i use it all the time. it's not too bad. Though some of the people i play with have had problems with it in the past

For the list. A great guild there, a tank, healer and some dps. We'll be raiding in no time.

MostlySane : Thrull : blood elf : warlock : 13 :
    mining :
    jewelcrafting

The Forum Legend

TessaLicious : Toireasa : blood elf : rogue : 34 : skinning : leatherworking
    ESG : : : hunter :
    DS : Shirley : Orc : Warrior : 8 : mining : blacksmithing
    MostlySane : Thrull : blood elf : warlock : 13 : mining : jewelcrafting
    Sparkles : Sparklette : blood elf : priest : 8 : skinning : tailoring
    Andystyle : Shem: Blood Elf: Mage : ?
    Tramp : Nekiar : Blood elf : Rogue : 16 : mining : jewelcrafting
    Shodan :
    StrayCat264 * :

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

it does indeed - and it will do n-way video calls too with a plug-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    it does indeed - and it will do n-way video calls too with a plug-in.
    Cool. It's something Google Talk still lacks. I'm a fan of that because of the whole open platform thing...

Sorry I do witter at times don't I?

Glitter Queen

Now that I've finally made level 10 you can see my profile properly Sparklette and I wondered if I could ask a couple of questions from the people who know what they're doing...?

You can see that my unarmed skill is 0/50 ... how do I fight without a weapon (if I don't select anything and something comes attacking me it seems I just stand there and get killed rather than fighting unarmed )? Also what is the best way to build up unarmed skill without just getting beaten to a pulp?

Lots of my quests seem to need me to go find someone or something in Eversong woods. these are EMENSE and I have spent ages just running around trying to work out where I need to be! I know that a little gold dot will show up when I am close, but it would appear I haven't even been close . How do I know where to go? The main map is pretty useless for finding specific things unless you're in the city.

I'm learning tailoring, so if anyone needs anything made from cloth (at the moment I can only make things from linen) please let me know. Also, if anyone has spare linen or wool that they don't need please can you post it to me (and I will, of course return the favour if I get things you might need )?

Some of my armour needs to be repaired. I thought that I could repair it at any goods seller, but it seems this is not the case. Are there only specific places/people I can see to repair armour?

Thanks in advance for help with these questions, sorry if some of the questions are silly, but I'm new to all this!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    You can see that my unarmed skill is 0/50 ... how do I fight without a weapon (if I don't select anything and something comes attacking me it seems I just stand there and get killed rather than fighting unarmed )? Also what is the best way to build up unarmed skill without just getting beaten to a pulp?
    IIRC my unarmed skill increased when my opponent disarmed me and I was forced to fight bare-handed, just during the normal course of an attack - your character's hands will glow red when this happens.

Glitter Queen

Also, why doesn't the picture on my profile look like my character? Tessalicious' looks like her's...
    Last edited by Sparkles; 19th-March-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Now that I've finally made level 10
    Gratz!
    If you open your character window and your backpack and drag-and-drop your weapon from your hand to your backpack, you will put it away. Until you equip it again, you will be unarmed. Don't fight anything that's higher level than you - stick with several levels lower and don't use offensive spells unless you have to (healing ones are fine), then you'll skill up as you do damage.

Aleks is also right that some mobs disarm you - this is why having some skill in unarmed combat can be useful, but it shouldn't really be the only time you practise it.
    Lots of my quests seem to need me to go find someone or something in Eversong woods. these are EMENSE and I have spent ages just running around trying to work out where I need to be! I know that a little gold dot will show up when I am close, but it would appear I haven't even been close . How do I know where to go? The main map is pretty useless for finding specific things unless you're in the city.
    To be honest, I use Allakhazam, as do most people (or Thottbot). You might find add-ons with map coordinates make things easier too - I'll send you one when I get home. Otherwise, if you don't want to use these "cheats" then you can always ask another player. Sometimes the quest log is helpful enough to give you enough direction to find the place if you wander far enough.
    I'm learning tailoring, so if anyone needs anything made from cloth (at the moment I can only make things from linen) please let me know. Also, if anyone has spare linen or wool that they don't need please can you post it to me (and I will, of course return the favour if I get things you might need )?
    Of course! Part of having a guild is about sharing stuff between members if it's more useful to someone else.
    Some of my armour needs to be repaired. I thought that I could repair it at any goods seller, but it seems this is not the case. Are there only specific places/people I can see to repair armour?
    Only armor merchants, bowyers, and blacksmithing suppliers can repair armor. For example, in the town you're about to visit (Tranquillien) the only repairer is the blacksmith supplier behind the inn.
    Also, why doesn't the picture on my profile look like my character? Tessalicious' looks like her's...
    Mine doesn't either - on the profile, the picture is the generic blood-elf female, unfortunately.
    Thanks in advance for help with these questions, sorry if some of the questions are silly, but I'm new to all this!
    Don't be silly - questions are things that need answering, therefore they can't possibly be silly!

/moo

Go on, you know you want to

Glitter Queen

Just a quick update: 'The Licious' is finally a guild - DS, MostlySane and Andystyle you need to get signed up to join us

I also believe Tessa is still taking donations to go towards funding our Tabard (we can't expect her to pay for the majority of it herself, so if anyone has spare cash... ).

No need to worry about money donations - it's all paid for. You'll need to buy your own tabards anyway, but we have a guild and a design!

Trampy is an officer (as is Alec), so even if I'm not online he can invite any forumites that happen to log on at any abnormal time of day or night . That goes for alts too.

I'll also set up one of my other characters as a guild bank, so if anyone has drops they think will be useful for someone else (ie for a lower level guildy) they can post it to Haeli. Anything you need, ingredients for tradeskills or equipment, just post it in here or add a note to your character in the guild book online.

And yes, we do have a few non-forumites in the guild at the moment (mostly Alec's relatives!) but they'll either be completely inactive, or they'll be really useful to have around, so we'll see.

Just a quick update: 'The Licious' is finally a guild - DS, MostlySane and Andystyle you need to get signed up to join us

I also believe Tessa is still taking donations to go towards funding our Tabard (we can't expect her to pay for the majority of it herself, so if anyone has spare cash... ).
    Cool - i'll be on later tonight. Have had a couple of wow free days to recover from Blackpool

Commercial Operator

Just installed the free trial. Haven't had time to try it yet. Is my life nearly over? Maybe I should delete it rather than risk getting hooked....

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

Just installed the free trial. Haven't had time to try it yet. Is my life nearly over? Maybe I should delete it rather than risk getting hooked....
    Welcome

Has anyone else had problems logging in recently? I think it might just be me . Sometimes it won't let me past the logging in screen (and the only way to rectify that seems to be to keep trying every few minutes). but it's latest blip is that it tells me to pick a realm .
    I've already picked one! Anyway, I do as I'm told, tell them I want an English Normal realm - and it brings up an empty list... I've cancelled out of it and retried several times... maybe leaving it a while is the only way?

The servers are always down (for scheduled maintenance) on Wednesday mornings. They usually come back up at 10, but sometimes they take extra time if there are problems. I guess they figured it was the time when fewest people would be disrupted by being unable to play.

Thread Information