Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to participate and being criticized

43 84.31%
  • I would like to attend but only watch and not being criticized

2 3.92%
  • I am not interested because too shy / non confident enough

3 5.88%
  • I am not interested because I don't believe technique is paramount to / well defined enough in MJ

3 5.88%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: MJ critique class: would you?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: MJ critique class: would you?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
    Honestly, I would not care one bit for this sort of class - I do MJ because it's fun, it's simple, and it's sociable, and I certainly have no aspirations of mastery or perfection. To me that would suck all the fun and reason out of why I started doing MJ in the first place!
    Critiques, to me, are a very good way of improving your dancing. In any dance discipline.

And in my experience, the better you dance, the more you enjoy it when dancing socially.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Critiques, to me, are a very good way of improving your dancing. In any dance discipline.

And in my experience, the better you dance, the more you enjoy it when dancing socially.

I do wonder sometimes what people understand by the term 'technique' (or similar) in this context. If you look at it in terms of getting the hand positions right, turning the toes out a bit more... in essence cosmetic things to make a dance look better, I can understand where Mike is coming from.

Looking at it in such terms as improving my connection with my partner, or my core footwork technique (which helps me move better, dance better to faster music, and connect better with my partner) - working on anything like this can only serve to put more fun into my dancing, not take fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post

I do wonder sometimes what people understand by the term 'technique' (or similar) in this context. If you look at it in terms of getting the hand positions right, turning the toes out a bit more... in essence cosmetic things to make a dance look better, I can understand where Mike is coming from.

Looking at it in such terms as improving my connection with my partner, or my core footwork technique (which helps me move better, dance better to faster music, and connect better with my partner) - working on anything like this can only serve to put more fun into my dancing, not take fun out of it.

But then, I'm also a technique geek and enjoy the first stuff you mention as well. I have a feeling we're in the minority though.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mike View Post
    Honestly, I would not care one bit for this sort of class - I do MJ because it's fun, it's simple, and it's sociable, and I certainly have no aspirations of mastery or perfection. To me that would suck all the fun and reason out of why I started doing MJ in the first place!
    I think Mike has the view that's held by most people who dance MJ. Most people who attend MJ lessons seem to like the hands-off approach of the group lessons. The last thing they want is personal feedback. Especially if that feedback was delivered in a public forum.

My heart sinks when a guy asks "what do you think of my dancing?". Especially if I've taught them! I try to get away with a comment about the most obvious area for improvement. This is normally posture. If they push me for more I usually respond with questions like "do you really want to improve or are you happy with the way you dance?" or even "are you up for some constructive criticism?". Mostly I run for cover and change the subject. But if they really do seem to want to improve I ask them to come 30 mins before the lesson starts and give them a private lesson for free.

In my experience, most guys are happy to carry on dancing the way they've always danced. The say they'd like to improve, but they don't want to go through the pain of changing their habits - as they say, it's ten times as hard to shift a bad habit compared to developing a good habit. Especially when their bad habit has given them so much pleasure over the years - bouncing the hand and sticking out their bottom is more of a naughty pleasure to them

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe we should find a different word instead of "technique"... mind you, I can't thnk of one offhand.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Maybe we should find a different word instead of "technique"... mind you, I can't thnk of one offhand.
    I think that straycat is talking about decorations. Those things that make the dance look better.

However, hand positions for leading or following hands are technique. It's what you do with your free hand that provides the decoration.

In workshops I sometimes talk about learning to dance being like building a house from scratch. When you're putting in the foundations and putting up the walls you don't need to be choosing the fabric for the curtains. But you need to make sure you've got windows in your plan so you've got somewhere to hang your curtains.

Thread Information