Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10% my Arse

10% my Arse

Just got back from Camber where I had a great weekend as usual, but, again found it was easier to find some rocking horse crap than it was to get a dance.

Was told by Franco there were only 10% more women than men. Which was clearly not the case.

I don't want to spend my weekends constantly having to stalk and grab. It's hard work and very boring.

I'm sure the men love it as it means they are constantly in demand but for us girls its a nightmare.

Why don't they do 50/50 sex ratio on all weekenders?

Blog Entries

Re: 10% my Arse

With a title like that you'll be lucky if this thread doesn't go straight upstairs!

*borrows Witty's gag to prevent comments about 10% of your @rse *

Sorry you had a tough time hunting leaders, but quite a lot of people seem to think that the gender balancing thing is unfair.

Personally, I don't think it helps at all, because unless you insist that everyone books which workshops their going to do and which freestyle rooms they'll be in so you can gender balance those, it's all pointless.
    You might get a 50/50 total, but you can't guarantee the number for each part.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Personally, I don't think it helps at all, because unless you insist that everyone books which workshops their going to do and which freestyle rooms they'll be in so you can gender balance those, it's all pointless.
    You might get a 50/50 total, but you can't guarantee the number for each part.
    Yes. It's true that it doesn't guarantee equal numbers at anything. However, it's a hell of a lot more likely that you're going to get equal numbers, if you start off with roughly equal numbers.

If you start off with a big discrepancy, then chances are, that's what you'll end up with.

So, to say that it doesn't help at all, has to be wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'm sure the men love it as it means they are constantly in demand but for us girls its a nightmare.
    Definately not
    Give me gender controlling any day!

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Well, I've did my last Franco weekender in January and that is one of the reasons.

There are plenty of other weekenders to choose from these days so vote with your feet like I have

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got back from Camber where I had a great weekend as usual, but, again found it was easier to find some rocking horse crap than it was to get a dance.

Was told by Franco there were only 10% more women than men. Which was clearly not the case.
    Well, it's quite possible, when you think about the maths a bit, to "only" have 10% over, and for there still to be a massive discrepancy.

Say there are 1,000 dancers - 10% (probably) means there are 450 men and 550 women.

But take a typical class of 200, and you get 90 men and 110 women. So that's 20 women on for a start. Now, remove all the fixed partners (say 80 people), and you have 50 men and 70 women, which is more like 20% over already.

Similar principle applies to freestyle.

10% over is a lot.

I don't want to spend my weekends constantly having to stalk and grab. It's hard work and very boring.

I don't love it - it means I can't pick and choose the women I want to dance with, and I can't sit out dances.

Franco's rationale, as documented, was that this would be illegal.

I dunno if that's still his attitude, but it was then - see the "Gender control at ticketed events: legal?" thread for details.

...but quite a lot of people seem to think that the gender balancing thing is unfair.
    You, Stewart38 and a handful of selfish mediocre/smelly/creepy/sleazy or just plain ugly men doth not equal quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    Well, I've did my last Franco weekender in January and that is one of the reasons.

There are plenty of other weekenders to choose from these days so vote with your feet like I have

I told Franco the same. He was counting his money at the time and didn't seem to be listening

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    You, Stewart38 and a handful of selfish mediocre/smelly/creepy/sleazy or just plain ugly men doth not equal quite a lot.
    It's not actually my opinion, just one I've heard on this forum from people whom I have no idea whether they are "selfish mediocre/smelly/creepy/sleazy or just plain ugly men" and I wouldn't make the assumption that they are just because they have an opinion.

I could make the assumption that your rude accusation demonstrates a measure of your insecurity, but I don't like to make assumptions like that

Blog Entries

It's not actually my opinion, just one I've heard on this forum from people whom I have no idea whether they are "selfish mediocre/smelly/creepy/sleazy or just plain ugly men" and I wouldn't make the assumption that they are just because they have an opinion.
    I am - all of the above

But I still don't like gender imbalancing.

I could make the assumption that your rude accusation demonstrates a measure of your insecurity, but I don't like to make assumptions like that
    Nah, he's just a rude b&gger. Not like me.

It's not actually my opinion, just one I've heard on this forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    Personally, I don't think it helps at all
    Make your mind up.

Don't hide behind these other forumites please. If that's your opinion, don't be afraid to stick by it.

How you can possibly believe that gender balancing doesn't help is totally illogical. Only selfish men who feel that all women are there just to wait around for them to ask, could possibly agree. Or the sorts of men who would never get a dance if it wasn't for these hordes of women having to take whatever they can just in order to get on the dance floor.

Which category do you fit into?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    Of course you could.

But then you'd be wrong again...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I am - all of the above
    You're not smelly!

Blog Entries

You're not smelly!
    Awww....
    That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day, that is

But you're still rude

This made me laugh

If you could find a women upstairs at 3am let me know There was a LACK of women

Id say max was 10% different (overall), try 2 yrs ago then there was an imbalance

If women dont ask men to dance thats there problem

I hope Franco doesnt go down the gender balance route.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    If you could find a women upstairs at 3am let me know There was a LACK of women
    Just to clarify. Stewart actually means a lack of women that he fancied....

Blog Entries

Make your mind up.

Don't hide behind these other forumites please. If that's your opinion, don't be afraid to stick by it.

How you can possibly believe that gender balancing doesn't help is totally illogical. Only selfish men who feel that all women are there just to wait around for them to ask, could possibly agree. Or the sorts of men who would never get a dance if it wasn't for these hordes of women having to take whatever they can just in order to get on the dance floor.

Which category do you fit into?
    Of course if you actually read my original post instead of randomly trying to score points off people, you'll see that I have both quoted others' opinions and stated my own, which quite clearly bears no resemblance your assumptions.
    However, to clarify for the hard of understanding, the last weekender I went to was gender balanced and in just about every workshop I went to, there were ladies over. In one particular one there were more than 30 ladies over. It seems to me that gender balancing didn't help there, because either a load of men stayed in bed or the concurrently running workshop had at least 30 men over.
    Of course you could.

But then you'd be wrong again...
    Yes, but we've already established that I don't make those assumptions, to avoid the danger of being proven wrong. A lesson that some people seem to not learn...

I dont refuse women to dance like you do so i do my bit

My point is its very clear some events have gender balance some dont. women have a choice

as a man you can decide 2 hrs before the event you can go as you often do

MAYBE just MAYBE some women would prefer to accept a few refusals of you but hey still have a good time and go

what GOD given right do a few men think that ALL women should not be ALLOWED to go to an event

Now put your name forward for SWISH you support there cause its early November and they cant go to an event i feb for god sake, shoulkd they book 4yrs in adance ?

Guess what they would like to go as they know i wouldnt refuse them a dance but according to you tough they should book 4yrs early

One guy i asked to dance this weekend said under his breath as he got up "oh ***".

He explained during our dance that he said that becasue it is very difficult for the men as they never get a rest and feel it's rude to say no. He actually enjoyed our dance and asked for another. But can you imagine how I felt, having asked him, then to have that reaction.?

I approched another guy for a dance and almost had my eye's scratched out by another woman who had her eye on him...She practically dragged him away from me so she could dance with him first...!

In the end, I just gave up. Thank God I had Spin Dryer to keep me satisfied.

Just to clarify. Stewart actually means a lack of women that he fancied....
    If you had actually dance up there then you would know what i mean

there were more men

now whos going to SWISH to help our poor ladies

Im not against gender balancing no one wants to see 2 to 1 etc and people now have choices

i would say after 1am there were even numbers

However, to clarify for the hard of understanding
    Talking of 'the hard of understanding' if you read my post I was referring to the freestyles and not the classes.

So what is your experience of the freestyles then?

Thread Information