Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to a weekender on your own...is there a stigma?

Going to a weekender on your own...is there a stigma?

Hiya, I'm thinking of going to the Jive Addiction thingy in Scarborough in November, but no-one I know is planning to go (wife is away on a course, people I normally would expect to go are already booked up for Ceroc Blackpool the week before).

I was planning to go on my own, but will this cause a problem when it comes to getting a partner for workshops etc etc? And also, will it make me look a bit odd if I turn up on my own?

Re: Going to a weekender on your own...is there a stigma?

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Will this cause a problem when it comes to getting a partner for workshops etc etc?
    You'll probably find it harder to find a fixed partner if there's a workshop that requires that (eg aerials, etc). Otherwise, weekender workshops are mostly rotated in the usual fashion.

Will it make me look a bit odd if I turn up on my own?
    No. Lots of people do. Plus, dancing being what it is, you'll probably end up recognising someone there from some other event.
    Last edited by MartinHarper; 15th-August-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    You'll probably find it harder to find a fixed partner if there's a workshop that requires that (eg aerials, etc). Otherwise, weekender workshops are mostly rotated in the usual fashion.

No. Lots of people do. Plus, dancing being what it is, you'll probably end up recognising someone there from some other event.
    Cool, I sort of imagined that there would be a few people on their own...I'll just have to steer clear of aerial workshops then!

Commercial Operator

Hiya, I'm thinking of going to the Jive Addiction thingy in Scarborough in November, but no-one I know is planning to go (wife is away on a course, people I normally would expect to go are already booked up for Ceroc Blackpool the week before).

I was planning to go on my own, but will this cause a problem when it comes to getting a partner for workshops etc etc? And also, will it make me look a bit odd if I turn up on my own?
    I'm a great fan of going to dance weekenders on my own. You get a chalet to yourself so there's always milk in the fridge and hot water for the shower. You get first choice of which workshops you attend and you can miss the cabaret without upsetting anybody. You can take afternoon naps without being interrupted. And you still get to dance with hundreds of people - selfish? Moi?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I'm a great fan of going to dance weekenders on my own. You get a chalet to yourself so there's always milk in the fridge and hot water for the shower. You get first choice of which workshops you attend and you can miss the cabaret without upsetting anybody. You can take afternoon naps without being interrupted. And you still get to dance with hundreds of people - selfish? Moi?
    Yep, I suppose the good thing about going on your own is that you can be a dance tart!

Yep, I suppose the good thing about going on your own is that you can be a dance tart!
    You a dance tart.... never

Go on your own... like Andy Mc says, you can do what you want when you want!

I know quite a few people who attend weekenders alone.. there is no stigma as far as I am aware.

Enjoy yourself

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was planning to go on my own, but will this cause a problem when it comes to getting a partner for workshops etc etc?
    Nope - whilst there are fixed-partners in workshops, most people turn up without fixed partners, and you get rotated like in a normal MJ class.

And also, will it make me look a bit odd if I turn up on my own?
    No, lots of people do - and the freestyles and classes are the standard "everyone dances with everyone" format. And as Andy says, there are advantages to your own chalet - I always book my own.

Having said that, a word of caution - you need to be quite independent and self-confident at a weekender if you're by yourself, as otherwise sometimes during the day it can seem like everyone's having a party, and you're stuck in your dingy chalet by yourself.

I'm not trying to put you off, but one can get a distorted view of weekenders from reading this forum, so a bit of balance may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    You a dance tart.... never

Go on your own... like Andy Mc says, you can do what you want when you want!

I know quite a few people who attend weekenders alone.. there is no stigma as far as I am aware.

Enjoy yourself
    I just enjoy spreading the love!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Nope - whilst there are fixed-partners in workshops, most people turn up without fixed partners, and you get rotated like in a normal MJ class.

No, lots of people do - and the freestyles and classes are the standard "everyone dances with everyone" format. And as Andy says, there are advantages to your own chalet - I always book my own.

Having said that, a word of caution - you need to be quite independent and self-confident at a weekender if you're by yourself, as otherwise sometimes during the day it can seem like everyone's having a party, and you're stuck in your dingy chalet by yourself.

I'm not trying to put you off, but one can get a distorted view of weekenders from reading this forum, so a bit of balance may help.
    Do you reckon a chalet is a better way to go then? Hmm, I was going to book into a hotel, but a chalet might be a better option...

None at all. I frequently go to weekenders and dance holidays on my own. You invariably find some people you know from other weekenders and your usual venues, and a quick post here will let you know which forumites are planning to attend. You will also meet lots of new people, who will then be known to you, the next time you go there.

Of course if you're going to share a room with a stranger, then it's down to pot luck!

Glad to see all these affirmative statements, as at this rate I'll be going to Bliss on my own!

Have to say that I half wish that I'd booked on my own in the first place... (am in grumpy mood today)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    None at all. I frequently go to weekenders and dance holidays on my own. You invariably find some people you know from other weekenders and your usual venues, and a quick post here will let you know which forumites are planning to attend. You will also meet lots of new people, who will then be known to you, the next time you go there.

Of course if you're going to share a room with a stranger, then it's down to pot luck!
    Eek! I can't share a room with a stranger! (I went Youth Hostelling on my own about a year ago and it was very weird sleeping in a roomful of strangers...listening to their breathing. And SNORING )

two words - HELL NO!!! - I have gone to every Southport weekender on my own.

And the only difficulty is finding a fixed partner for workshops that I want to do.

And if there are few people I know going I have to be rather more extroverted/pro-active about meeting people

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    two words - HELL NO!!! - I have gone to every Southport weekender on my own.

And the only difficulty is finding a fixed partner for workshops that I want to do.

And if there are few people I know going I have to be rather more extroverted/pro-active about meeting people
    The nice thing about dance, especially for someone like me who is quite shy, is that it's amazingly easy to start talking to people. So the social aspect of it isn't something that bothers me. I just don't want to miss out learning cool stuff because of a lack of a fixed partner

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

I like to go with people, as I like the social side like having a meal and wine in the chalet or going out before the dancing, also going off to the beach on my own by choice but knowing there is always someone to chat to if you fancy company. I once went with one person who prefer to do her own thing and I hardly saw her, and I hated it as I think as a woman we like the gossip and doing the girlie things on what to wear, so in the past it has been a group, but because how quickly it gets booked up I have not been on weekender since sept last year, as getting people to make up they minds we miss out so now I do the dance holidays abroad instead. I don't have the confidence to go on my own, and end up sitting in those grotty chalets.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well he was was talking about Scarborough so more a case of being stuck in a rather nice hotel room on your own. And there will be other dancers in the hotel so its likely you will see someone you know and can join for breakfast/dinner etc.

Going on your own is a great way of meeting other people too. I've found that when I go by myself, or with just one other friend, I have far more freedom to dance/eat/sleep when I want, than when I am with a group of friends and need to be sociable. Not that I'm anti social, just that everyone likes to do weekenders at their own pace.

The workshops are rotated, but if you really want to do one with a fixed partner you can usually arrange that when you get there, just find someone you sort of know or find you dance well with, and ask if they want to fix for a particular class.

Having said that, doing the workshops on the rotation is probably better if you are on your own and don't know that many people as then you get to meet different people are you rotate and can catch them for a dance later.
    Last edited by Lynn; 15th-August-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Well he was was talking about Scarborough so more a case of being stuck in a rather nice hotel room on your own.
    Ah, right - sorry, I assumed it was a Pontins thing again.

Eek! I..listening to their breathing. And SNORING )

Oh I know what you mean. How I wish that people wouldn't breathe

Daisy

(A Breathless Little Flower)

I went last year and you will be fine

I think they try and keep the balance but usually a few ladies over

I had a great time and would go again but for the lack of holidays, its a long way for me

personally i went with a group and that help in the evening but then we arrived early

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Hey T

i go to most of the weekenders by myself but i have shared too. There is no stigma attached i dont think and in fact because i am not attached to a person or a group i can wander and dance more.

Find out if anyone you know is goin so that you will always have a friendly face even if you are on your own.

Also if you have really nice friends like i do, you can arrange to meet them for dinner one night or arrange to have a mini forum/friends bbq (although it is november)

Thread Information