View Poll Results: What should happen to the Friday Southport Forum Gathering?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as it is

3 11.11%
  • Make the BBQ the "forum event" and scrap the Friday session

3 11.11%
  • Keep the Friday night forum event but with more differentiation

9 33.33%
  • Make the Friday a general, non-forum-specific, "Welcome" session aimed at weekender newbies

8 29.63%
  • Other ideas - see below

1 3.70%
  • I'm anti-social and wouldn't talk to anyone anyway

4 14.81%
  • Where's Southport?

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Southport Forumite Gathering?

Blog Entries

Re: Southport Forumite Gathering?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Gav's not your real name is it?!? I thought it was an anagram of the real you...
    I never did like you anyway. :petulant child stamping foot smiley:

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Can't give you any rep at the moment Stewart but I think this is one of your best posts...

Doesn't DJ go on and on and on .... ad nauseum about something he doesn't even attend or want to attend...

We like it ,we will continue to have it.

I like meeting people of the forum when i'm away dancing many of you feel likewise. How it is sorted out may be up for discussion hence the thread.

WHAT is some peoples problem with others wanting to get to meet people from the forum.

IF you don't want to get involved don't! Leave us others to get on with our choice to do so if that is what we want to do!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post

A good idea, but virtually impossible to police.

The 5 trays of crumble cost about £40 in total this time, so I reckon Aunty Barb, Azande and I are ok!
    i would police your crumbles for ya Aleks...... one for me, one for him, one for me, one for her, one for me........

Blog Entries

I remember the first forumite gathering me and sis attended with our new t shirts stating across our chests who we were and i must say it felt great, special and made a brill start to the weekend. I would hate any other newbies not to experience that lovely feel of belonging to a dance family that i feel us forumites are. We have rows, we fall out, we make up, we dance, we take the micky, we are just one happy group...... most of the time..

The Forumites gathering....If you dont like it...dont go...If you dont go ...DONT POST OR WHINE ABOUT IT...Does exactly what it says on the tin.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Interesting that the most popular vote is to make it more exclusive...
    I don't remember even adding an option to make it more exclusive. I did suggest an option that it should be differentiated more from the rest of the weekend - in response to ducasi's comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    The so-called "Forumites Gathering" does nothing to differentiate itself from the rest of the dancing going on in the blues room. Same people, same music.
    But that doesn't mean it has to be more exclusive.

I think this was more the sort of thing I had in mind:
    Seriously, I think a general "Southport Freshers night" would be a great idea - somewhere where there's an official "meet and greet" policy, for people to come along and to be introduced to other newbies.
    If Friday night it is still a "forumite" slot, call it the "Forumite Welcome", something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by non-existent Feb 2008 Southport programme
    Forumite Welcome

Break the ice by meeting other dancers to start your weekend. Catch up with old friends and meet some new ones. All welcome.
    I think the sticky label/ name badges were a good idea too - you'd write your forum ID or name on it whether or not you were a forumite. There could also have a mike for someone to stop the music 2 or 3 times and eg.
    • ask everyone to dance with someone they've never met before
    • get all the people who are at Southport for the 1st time to stick their hands up and dance with someone who hasn't
    That sort of thing would just be a bit more friendly.

Of course it would mean suggesting that we forum folk were welcoming in some way...
    Love dance, will travel

Of course, you could always phrase the gathering as:

The Forum Meatspace Meet

Meet up with fellow members of the forum, or non-members come along and learn about the friendly on-line community of welcoming dancers in the flesh.
    SpinDr

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or the Forum Meet Market?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    You don't need to name and shame them on here. Just get whoever is organising the event to check what people have brought, and those who have turned up empty handed should be sent away to the on-site shop to stock up on crisps and beer (probably at twice the price they'd have paid if they'd been organised) and tell them not to come back until they've got their contribution. Or just let it be known who the skinflints are amongst the group who have contributed and embarrass/ostracise them.
    Name & shame! Name & shame! Name & shame!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    The Forumites gathering....If you dont like it...dont go...If you dont go ...DONT POST OR WHINE ABOUT IT...Does exactly what it says on the tin.

DTS Dave XXX XXX
    Your a very confident type of guy ,hell thought you were going to have a forum gathering in the mens loos, you knew everyone who came in ?

For us shy types these types of things (I can think back to Ashtons yrs back when Lory introduce me to some people and Bardsey before that (what happen to her ?). Doesnt mean we have 100 immediate friends but at least its a start on the road in giving up our teddy bears and having a real friend

Some forumites i might just say hi to and thats it all weekend ,others ill sort out there problems (ie dump the git !) but all in all gatherings are a nice thing to have , god think im going to cry

I suspect the "too trivial to bother about" threshold for N&S wouldn't be breached by this sort of thing.
    In that case I name and shame DavidJames

For, well pretty much everything really...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I remember the first forumite gathering me and sis attended with our new t shirts stating across our chests who we were and i must say it felt great, special and made a brill start to the weekend. I would hate any other newbies not to experience that lovely feel of belonging to a dance family that i feel us forumites are. We have rows, we fall out, we make up, we dance, we take the micky, we are just one happy group...... most of the time..

this is exacterly how I see it

The Dashing Moderator

As people seem to already be talking about the next Southport, I thought I'd resurrect this one - hopefully in time for J&W to reflect any suggestions before the programmes are printed.

What should happen to the Friday night Forumite gathering?
    Love dance, will travel

The best idea (and it actually worked) was when I gave all the forumites very pretty sparkly red wrist bands. Most of us wore them all Friday night and some kept them on Saturday too. (not sure if that was at Southport tho)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    The best idea (and it actually worked) was when I gave all the forumites very pretty sparkly red wrist bands. Most of us wore them all Friday night and some kept them on Saturday too. (not sure if that was at Southport tho)
    I don't remember that so probably wasn't at SP. Do remember you making us badges with our avitars on once though MM - think that might have been at a Camber thou

Talking of avitars - why don't we all change them to a pic of ourselves (maybe just temporarily for those shyer forumites ) so that we can recognise each other better at SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    I don't remember that so probably wasn't at SP. Do remember you making us badges with our avitars on once though MM - think that might have been at a Camber thou ..........
    ahhhhhhh yes, I think it was Camber

I spent ages making badges with photos of avatars on them - still got my Minnie Mouse one.

I also tried the sticky labels with a marker pen, but that only worked for a short while

........Talking of avitars - why don't we all change them to a pic of ourselves (maybe just temporarily for those shyer forumites ) so that we can recognise each other better at SP?
    Rather than change avatars piccies - having our photo on our profile is a great idea - a lot of us have do anyway (mine is about 60 years old tho )

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I don't remember that so probably wasn't at SP. Do remember you making us badges with our avitars on once though MM - think that might have been at a Camber thou

Talking of avitars - why don't we all change them to a pic of ourselves (maybe just temporarily for those shyer forumites ) so that we can recognise each other better at SP?
    How are people's memories for faces though? Am good when I've actually met someone, but am unlikely to remember a picture of someone from here, and I'm not sitting down to memorise people's faces!

I like the wrist band or badge idea, but couldn't everyone just do their own? Am sure that Beo will be wearing his Beowulf t-shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I like the wrist band or badge idea, but couldn't everyone just do their own? Am sure that Beo will be wearing his Beowulf t-shirt
    I'm planning on the T-shirt approach........................ Wouldn't want to wear a wristband and end up with CEROC wrist - especially at a JA weekend!!

Was there one in Feb? Must have missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Was there one in Feb? Must have missed it!

we didn't tell you

have you got your 't' shirt ready for this one

Thread Information