Thread: Ceroc headache

Ceroc headache

The day after a Ceroc night I sometimes wake up with a headache. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to be a little annoying. If I do get this "post Ceroc headache" a couple of Asprin or whatever usually gets rid of it pretty quickly but once in a while the headache lingers for most of the next day.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so have you found a cure or a preventative measure that seems to work?

There are some obvious candidates as to the cause of this headache such as loud music, flashing lights, reasonably strenuous exercise and so on. I should perhaps add that I very rarely drink any alcohol immediately before, during or after a dance night and always drink plenty of water. The fact that I get up at 6:30 am the next day to go to work (if it's during the week) probably doesn't help matters.

Re: Ceroc headache

dehidration ???

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    dehidration ???
    I was going to suggest the same thing.
    Love dance, will travel

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

You do frequent (some) venues where IMO the music is particularly loud

Dehydration, or salt imbalance. If you drink a lot of water, you're likely to loose salt which can cause headaches. Try adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a glass of water - if you can drink it, this is probably the cause. (or use a sports drink instead cause they ought to have a more correct mix of salts.)

Sean

You can become dehydrated even if you drink plenty of water, because you lose salts when you sweat, and without the proper balance of salts in your system, you don't retain enough fluid to keep your blood volume up to scratch.
    If your morning symptoms include dark urine, and postural hypotension (that dizzy feeling when you stand up from lying down or sitting) then suspect dehydration. Try an electrolyte (sports) drink during or just after dancing ( look for sodium, magnesium and potassium in the ingredients); or just eating something salty may be enough.
    The other thought that springs to mind: is it possible you grind your teeth? I've been told that bruxism (fancy term for "teeth-grinding") can be worse if you go to sleep with something on your mind: you'll have to ask your dentist, if that is what you suspect.
    My "loud music" headaches are why I now carry earplugs! (I read about some special musicians' earplugs on another thread - I must look into those)
    Good luck! ( anticipating a headache must put a bit of a damper on your evenings!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    The day after a Ceroc night I sometimes wake up with a headache........

This didn't register the first I saw this thread

Try one of the independants

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Dehydration, or salt imbalance. If you drink a lot of water, you're likely to loose salt which can cause headaches. Try adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a glass of water - if you can drink it, this is probably the cause. (or use a sports drink instead cause they ought to have a more correct mix of salts.)

Sean
    I'd go with the dehydration rather than the salt imbalance.

I'd be surprised that you actually sweat that much on an average class night to cause potential salt imbalance (especially at this time of year). My understanding is that salt imbalance doesn't cause headaches anyway; I spent a summer working out on site in Dubai (construction of a power station next to the sea), and I used to sweat loads, and have to drink loads. Your body gets most of the salt it needs from normal food (assuming that you are eating a balanced diet); I was having to drink over 6 litres of water a day to stay hydrated whilst out on site, but got all the salts I needed to replace lost lost via sweat from my normal diet.

My understanding of the salts in energy drinks are that for typical sportspeople, the dissolved salts in sports drinks are to do with water being absorbed more quickly rather than actually replacing lost salts. I'm not an elite athlete so am happy to be corrected by a sports scientist, but none of my colleagues out on site needed to take salt tablets when sweating much larger quantities that an average Ceroc night; it was a very hot (48 degrees) and humid environment.

Are any other factors involved; do you eat or sleep differently on dancing nights?

The previous comment about loud music is a possibility to consider as well?
    Last edited by SteveK; 6th-January-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added bit about loud music

Yes - I used to get this - not all the time - but quite often I'd wake up in the morning after a Ceroc evening with a bad headache particularly if I'd danced every dance in the two freestyle sessions - I'm pretty sure dehydration is at least part of it.

My cure - have a bowl of cereal with plenty of sugar when you get home. My wife thinks this is crazy but it seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by Achelous View Post

My cure - have a bowl of cereal with plenty of sugar when you get home. My wife thinks this is crazy but it seems to work
    Interesting you should say that as i was wondering if a lack of carbohydrate might be the problem? Looking at stuff on the internet it appears that hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can have these effects.

National Headache Foundation: Hypoglycemia

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    The day after a Ceroc night I sometimes wake up with a headache. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to be a little annoying. If I do get this "post Ceroc headache" a couple of Asprin or whatever usually gets rid of it pretty quickly but once in a while the headache lingers for most of the next day.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so have you found a cure or a preventative measure that seems to work?

There are some obvious candidates as to the cause of this headache such as loud music, flashing lights, reasonably strenuous exercise and so on. I should perhaps add that I very rarely drink any alcohol immediately before, during or after a dance night and always drink plenty of water. The fact that I get up at 6:30 am the next day to go to work (if it's during the week) probably doesn't help matters.
    Do you do any other form of strenuous exercise? reason I ask is that you may have a bone out of place that might be irritated by the dancing.
    I would have also included dehydration - but you say that you drink plenty of water. As other folks have said, maybe your salts need replenishing (excessive water drinking flushes them out). When dehydrated the headache is generally near the oxyput.

Thread Information