Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teacher Or Entertainer ?

Teacher Or Entertainer ?

I have danced and taught for 11 years now and seen and met many many teachers from all over this country..

I truley now believe that it's no longer enough to be a good teacher.. you have to be an entertainer as well !!!

What do you think ?

Re: Teacher Or Entertainer ?

Originally posted by Mikey
    I truley now believe that it's no longer enough to be a good teacher.. you have to be an entertainer as well !!!
    Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer first, teacher second. The structured approach allow Ceroc teachers to convey all the information that the dancers needin a concise way, allowing them to concentrate on watching the class and making the whole thing entertaining. I think that the CTA training does a good job of this and its probably what gives Ceroc the compettive edge against most other organisations.

Please note, that this doesn't neccsarily mean Ceroc teachers are the best ... just the best trained

you have to be an entertainer as well !!! What do you think ?
    Yep, I'd agree with that. BillCo is one of the funniest teachers I know and you just *gel* with him because of his personality.

Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Well Gus, i can only say the CTA training must have changed somewhat in 10 years, because thats certainly not what they taught me, thats why i left Ceroc, so i could teach and entertain without been told of !!! They did teach me well i must say, but certainly not to entertain... I have seen a few Ceroc teachers who i have thoroughly enjoyed been taught by and found them to be entertainers as well as a good teacher, but not many to be honest.. but on the upside.. at least they are trained anyway.. so many so called teachers have never had a days training in thier life.. i even had one tell me i was doing a catapult incorrectly one day, cheeky so snd so.. mind you, i won't repeat my words, but he went away rather sheepish.. LOL

Re: Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Well Gus, i can only say the CTA training must have changed somewhat in 10 years, because thats certainly not what they taught me, thats why i left Ceroc, so i could teach and entertain without been told of !!! They did teach me well i must say, but certainly not to entertain... I have seen a few Ceroc teachers who i have thoroughly enjoyed been taught by and found them to be entertainers as well as a good teacher, but not many to be honest.. but on the upside.. at least they are trained anyway.. so many so called teachers have never had a days training in thier life.. i even had one tell me i was doing a catapult incorrectly one day, cheeky so snd so.. mind you, i won't repeat my words, but he went away rather sheepish.. LOL
    But Mikey being sheepish on this forum means you are a smooth dancer (and dresser in comps) , well liked and have a pretty fine taste in music

Re: Re: Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    But Mikey being sheepish on this forum means you are a smooth dancer (and dresser in comps) , well liked and have a pretty fine taste in music
    Who's that then? Have we got a new member?

But Mikey being sheepish on this forum means you are a smooth dancer (and dresser in

Hell, you learn something new everyday !!! ok ok.. he left with his tail between his legs then..lol hopefully this will not mean your well hung on the forum ...

I truly now believe that it's no longer enough to be a good teacher.. you have to be an entertainer as well !!!
    There's a balance to be struck. I've been in very dreary classes with no entertainment factor, during which I've switched off completely. I've also been to classes where the teacher is so bloody entertaining that no actual teaching takes place.

I reckon the entertainment factor is more important for beginners, since the laughter breaks the ice, and helps them relax while they're at the point where for lots of reasons it's most difficult.

Later though, it's the inspirational qualities of the teacher, their passion for the subject, and their ability to convey information in the right ways that become far more important to the students' actual learning.

The very best teachers are the ones that know how to find the right balance.

Chris

Re: Re: Teacher Or Entertainer ?

Originally posted by ChrisA
    There's a balance to be struck. I've been in very dreary classes with no entertainment factor, during which I've switched off completely. I've also been to classes where the teacher is so bloody entertaining that no actual teaching takes place.

I reckon the entertainment factor is more important for beginners, since the laughter breaks the ice, and helps them relax while they're at the point where for lots of reasons it's most difficult.

Later though, it's the inspirational qualities of the teacher, their passion for the subject, and their ability to convey information in the right ways that become far more important to the students' actual learning.

The very best teachers are the ones that know how to find the right balance.

Chris

Well put Chris,

i cannot disagree with that at all...

Re: Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Well Gus, i can only say the CTA training must have changed somewhat in 10 years, because thats certainly not what they taught me, thats why i left Ceroc, so i could teach and entertain without been told of !!!
    I think the teacher training has trained a fair bit. I did my training about 4 years ago and the emphasis was very much akin to being a cheerleader Being an accountant (with the associated personality bypass) and naturaly quiet person this approach to teaching was somewhat of a challenge!

The comments about achieveing a balance are well made. I still have a battle in trying not to teach people during a class, i.e. try to correct the many mistakes you see from stage. Unless I can see some muppet being openly homicidal, the teaching approach simply does not give you enough time to get across the more subtle points to a class of 100 or so very differning standards and styles .... that is why I vastly prefer teaching workshops to classes.

Anyway ... on any given night I would think that the majority of dancers want to pick up 90% of the moves and have a good laugh .... sounds a good night out to me

Hi,

(extra special hi to Gus who I'm really looking forward to seeing at the weekend).

Unfortunately, and for the first time, I disagree with you Gus and I did my training round about the same time as you.

I thought that the emphasis was very much on the dancing and the teaching of the moves. Yes, a lot of time was dedicated to the 'performance of those dreaded keypoints', but IMHO delivering a good key point is a very important element of the teach.

Ceroc teachers are the best, WE ROCK

Can't wait to see you again and have a dance or 5,

lotsa love Lorna x-x

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Lorna
    Hi,

(extra special hi to Gus who I'm really looking forward to seeing at the weekend).

Ceroc teachers are the best, WE ROCK
    Unfortunately, Gus isn't coming this weekend now

And yes, there are some very good Ceroc teachers......

(And of course, you're one of them Lorna)

Steve

A good thread. I was told that one of the earliest adverts for teachers was placed in the Stage magazine, and I think they got that exactly right. As has been said, for the beginners class, the teacher must be an entertainer first and foremost. I agree that for beginners it takes their mind of themselves if they laugh. Ceroc is about having fun. It also keeps the old hands coming to the beginners classes.

Even if the teacher could not teach the old hands would teach the beginners anyway, wouldn't we?

The intermediate class is something else. There is very little space there for diversions. It needs good clear efficient teaching.

When I was starting I compared the Ceroc classes to the Le Jive ones. Hannah at Bromley had a clear lead in humour and presentation. The Le Jive teacher used to correct mistakes that he saw in the class. Even if he did not put the undesired spotlight on your error, there was always the fear that he might next time. Doubtless he taught them to dance well, those that came back.

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Unfortunately, Gus isn't coming this weekend now

And yes, there are some very good Ceroc teachers......

(And of course, you're one of them Lorna)

Steve
    and of course your one of them Lorna ?[B] Steve, is her ass that cute that you kiss it so sweetly ?

B.T.C.
    [B]and of course your one of them Lorna ? Steve, is her ass that cute that you kiss it so sweetly ?

As her regular demo I'm not sure how sweet her ass is - I'm too much of a gentleman to look closely.......... .......but I'll try and find out - I'll have a good look next time I'm on stage with her and let you know

ps we're very lucky to have two such very good - and entertaining teachers up in Aberdeen and perhaps no surprise that Lorna took to it so well being a teacher as well.

In fact thinkinbg of all the Scottish teachers I'd have to say we have a very good 'bunch' - all with their own little ways but all equally good at teaching and at entertaining. No coincidence that we have aso many good dancers up here now

Hey,

keep kissing boys, the ass is liking it!!

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

The Forum Legend
    Hey,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x
    Ah. I'll have to teach you the ass-kissing routine then eh

Steve

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Originally posted by Pammy
    Who's that then? Have we got a new member?
    Well Peter, I'm blushing, but Pammy knows how to bring a wee lamb down!

I've been taught by countless teachers in my years, and agree that the entertainment factor makes a big difference. (And is one of the reasons I could never see myself doing it.) The least entertaining teacher I ever had was the man who founded Ceroc himself, it didn't take me long to avoid his lessons.
    I would say a lot of this is down to the natural personality of the relevant teacher, but enthusiasm and a touch of irony are essential. The most entertaining class I've ever done was just a few weeks ago, at Beach Boogie, where Nigel and Nina did a blues class. Nina had been relaxing with a bottle of wine before the 11:30 pm lesson, so Nigel was ribbing her for being sozzled. I can't say if she was, or if she was putting it on. (Her dancing was perfect as ever), but I, and many others, were in absolute stitches over the banter (and heckling). Now maybe this went too far for the normal lesson, but I'm sure I can still recall the whole routine, over 6 weeks later. I couldn't believe it when I heard someone complaining that they weren't taking it seriously enough! OK it may have overrun a little, but we had another 6 hours of dancing to go.

Let the beginners have a laugh, and they'll relax, learn more, and be more likely to return.

And as for picking on anyone in the class, this has to be done in the right way, I think it's fine if done with humour and done to a regular. (Nigel ALWAYS picks on Nina if she is in the class, rather than teaching it, she can probably handle it!)

Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: Basic Ceroc Teacher training (by CTA) trains all Ceroc teachers to be an entertainer

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Pammy knows how to bring a wee lamb down!
    With thighs my size, I could take down an elephant

Nah, you know I love you really Sheepy; I'd never spend hours designing tops for you if I didn't *kiss*

I couldn't believe it when I heard someone complaining that they weren't taking it seriously enough!
    I can't believe that either. Nigel and Nina are both fab and I can't imagine anyone having grounds to complain about them. Even if Nina was too drunk to stand, she could still dance better than anyone else in the room, she's lovely.

I love the banter that goes on between those two, it just lightens the whole atmosphere and shows that they're normal people with a sense of humour.

And as for picking on anyone in the class, this has to be done in the right way, I think it's fine if done with humour and done to a regular.[/B]
    Yes, good point, so stop picking on me in class, right!

Px

B.T.C.
    Hey,

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

The things I have to do to get a holiday in Las Palmas ah well.....................does it have to be on stage

Thread Information