Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirriemuir Blues Weekender - the aftermath

Kirriemuir Blues Weekender - the aftermath

You excelled again this weekend Franck. Thanks to you and Sheena for a fabulous weekend. My wife and I actually learned how to dance together slowly. Looking forward to the next one.

Kirriemuir Blues Weekender - the aftermath

3 days ago I had never been to a weekender, I hadn't been dancing in Scotland, and I hadn't been to any of Franck's classes. I was vaguely aware that these things were considered good, but without any personal experience it was kinda hard to fully appreciate them.

Well it's not hard any more.

I had a superb weekend! The workshops contained some of the clearest and most helpful teaching I have had, and I was never bored or felt out of my depth. It was lovely to meet loads of forumites (and others) and put faces to the names, even if real names might have fallen by the wayside a little bit... The evening dances were fab - especially dancing under the stars on the outdoor dancefloor - major to stairman & co for putting it together! It was completely worth the long journey from Belfast and none of us wanted to leave on the Sunday afternoon.

People I Met (in no particular order)

Batnurse - lovely girl, really easy to chat to and has a very infectious giggle!
    Whitetiger - if you treat her right, she literally purrs...
    Anneka - never danced with a German before, and it was a treat
    Trampy - only in passing, but waved
    Franck - well duh really excellent workshops and took genuine concern for our wellbeing and happiness, which was lovely
    Tiggerbabe - again, duh! Really enjoyed the music, and am also about to PM you for a track name.
    Little Monkey - only met briefly but had a really nice dance, apologies for confusing you by saying "you're Little Monkey aren't you?" without explaining who I was...
    Jeanie - much the same, couple of lovely dances despite initial confusion...
    ShinyWeeStar - we meet at last! And I didn't even need the top with a shiny wee star on it to recognise you - if I keep on saying 'had a lovely dance(s)' I'll sound like a broken record but I really did have that many and SWS was no exception
    Dundeedancer - was introduced, waved, I think that was it...
    The Whale - likewise
    Nessiemonster - one of the most elegant dancers I've met, very responsive and easy to lead, and not as Scottish as you might suspect...
    Blackisleboy - only in passing, said hello
    Idlemind - has the most piercing blue eyes and I frequently got lost in them... also created possibly the weekend's most memorable moment by shouting "TESTICLES!!!" during a particularly quiet point at dinner on Saturday night! Although I think drathzel was probably to blame for starting that one...
    est101 - wiggly, giggly and loads of fun to dance with!
    stairman - again, big thanks for building our outdoor dancefloor
    Gadget - apparently I'm a smaller version of you according to drathzel...

I also discovered that Blair (stairman junior) is my Mini-Me. We're scarily similar!

Drathzel and ClaireS were there too although I'd met them previously - still had fab dances though. I'm sure there were other forumites I missed but it was great to meet everyone - there was a really friendly, open atmosphere at the whole weekend which made it even better.

Franck - thank you so much for organising a brilliant weekend

Caz, Lynn - get your act together and book for the next one so I can dance with you!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Kirriemuir Blues Weekender - the aftermath

What a fab weekend. Here are some photos from Saturday afternoon, but I'm hoping somebody has some from Saturday night.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Gadget - apparently I'm a smaller version of you according to drathzel...
    Don't know that I'd go about advertising that one
    I also discovered that Blair (stairman junior) is my Mini-Me. We're scarily similar!
    Hmmm... Blair has been accused of being my mini-me - so would that make make you a mini-mini-me?

Too many clones going around I think...

Nice to see (& dance with) lots of faces I hadn't for a long time Pitty it was such a whistle-stop visit - would have liked to spend more time dancing with more faces I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Don't know that I'd go about advertising that one
    Hmmm... Blair has been accused of being my mini-me - so would that make make you a mini-mini-me?

Too many clones going around I think...

Nice to see (& dance with) lots of faces I hadn't for a long time Pitty it was such a whistle-stop visit - would have liked to spend more time dancing with more faces I didn't know.
    You certainly gave me a dance to remember!
    THE ABILITY TO QUOTE IS A SERVICEABLE SUBSTITUTE FOR WIT!

Quote Originally Posted by thainmaggiet View Post
    You certainly gave me a dance to remember!

Had a great weekend, loved the outside dancing, coolest I have ever been at a ceroc party. Loved the workshops and going to be suffering withdrawal symptoms. Great to meet Dee and her gang, hope to see you all again soon. Had great dances all weekend, thanks to all who danced with me.

Thanks to Franck and Sheena for a well organised and fun weekend, I am still laughing at the memories.

Wow - I have to say that was the best weekender I've not attended!!

Franck and Sheena - Thank You So Much!!!

From the moment I arrived on Friday night (I'd forgotten how potent that punch is!) to the time I left Sunday's tea dance I had a fantastic time.

Although I only attended the parties I still felt part of the special Kirriemuir atmosphere - from my experience the best and most special of the weekenders I've attended.

I have to say a HUGE thank you to stairman and co for creating the outdoor dancing area - it really made the weekend to be dancing outside.

And big also to Sheena for successfully DJing two 'rooms' simultaneously on both Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

The music was fab - perfect blues music in the blues room and outside, both on Saturday night and the Sunday tea-dance. Trampy's main room music had the buzz required to enable me to warm up again when the temperature outside meant I had to come inside for a time.

For me Saturday night was probably the best night of dancing I've ever experienced - I was totally in the zone and was more than happy for folk to practice their bluesing on me... I had so many blissfully sway-y dances, and spent all night feeling I was floating. And underneath the stars too...

Claire S -

TPH - What more can I say? So pleased we finally managed to be in the zone at the same time.

Good to meet CheesyRobMan - not as Irish as you might suspect... Thanks for my great dances.

Finally, thanks to BlackIsleBoy and Fiona for the lift down and back.

Franck - I hope you've got a reservation for another weekender already booked at Kirriemuir for when the hotel reopens...?
    Last edited by Nessiemonster; 8th-September-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Firstly i want to apologise for being a bit grumpy this weekend, for those that didnt know, i woke up on Saturday Morning for the workshops unable to hear in my right ear, this messed up my balance and i was therefore unable to dance. I took this really badly and was very upset so if i was a bit miserable i am very sorry and i will make it up to people with hugs next time i see you.

A massive to Franck and Sheena. Franck for his fab workshops, inspiring all my lovely dancers and Sheena, for well.... everything else, djing two rooms and generally lighting up the room as she normally does.

Travelling- set off from my house at 5 am collected my passengers and headed for the boat to meet our fellow travellers, had a laugh on the boat. Travelling in a car with me from Troon to Kirrie is something few people will probably recommend. Altho we had fun, me making comments and generally keeping everyone amused, it was on the journey to Kirrie that it was decided that i had multiple personalities in my head and in fact, they were smarties!

Friday Night was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC i dont think i sat down for more than one or two tracks, i had loads of lovely fab dances. My dance of the weekend was with franck to Real Love by Drizabone.

Saturday was spent steaming my nose and ears and sleeping trying to sort out my ear.

Afternoon dancing on the deck was fun, thanks to Adam for the ear plugs, by plugging up the good ear my balance was more equal and i felt i wasnt going to fall over. And a massive thanks to Cheesyrobman, i had had a few dances with people but dancing with Rob to Give it Back, woke me up and made me feel confident about trusting myself to stay up right and turned the rest of my day around.

Saturday night dinner was hysterical but the least said about that the better!

I didnt dance as much on saturday night as i would have liked but i had a great time, some lovely dances and most people were gentle me seeing as i barely could remain upright. I retired to bed about 3:30 am as i was in pain

Sunday... i finally attended a workshops, it was fantastic! Dancing on the deck on Sunday was fab and had lots of lovely dances. Thanks to donna for the oils, i actually started to hear better within a few hours.

Got home about midnight Sunday night after the drive to troon and delayed boat.

On a downer today as i am missing all of my lovely friends, new and old ( and by old, i am not refering to being old enough to be my mum by scottish standards.... he he he) You guys were great and made my weekend for me, even though i couldnt dance as much as i would like.

Spending the weekend with lovely claire s was just the icing on the cake we had lots of giggles, cuddles and inappropriate greetings. It was fab!

I am hoping to come back very soon.... any NI ones with me or have a scarred you for life!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    Travelling in a car with me from Troon to Kirrie is something few people will probably recommend. Altho we had fun, me making comments and generally keeping everyone amused, it was on the journey to Kirrie that it was decided that i had multiple personalities in my head and in fact, they were smarties!
    We also decided that the blue smartie was responsible for the various quotes you came out with in the space of 48 hours such as:

'Lick it, stick it and screw it'
    'Strip me baby, go on do it'
    'I was just waiting for Rob to take it from behind'
    'I'm good with tongues going into most orifices'
    'No F... teeheeheehee' (obscure joke, was funny though)

...as well as shouting various words for genitalia at dinner and getting Idlemind into trouble

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    I am hoping to come back very soon.... any NI ones with me or have a scarred you for life!!!
    No I'm used to you by now although you were right that putting you and ClaireS in a room together does result in what sound engineers will know as positive feedback...

t'was a very good weekend

any chance of a playlist or two (so when my dancers say "you know the song that was played on friday night that went like ....." I have a fighting chance of guessing

thanks

Only went to the Saturday night party, but what a buzz!! I've never seen so many people at a Focus weekend before! The addition of the blues room last time was great, and this time we didn't just have the additional blues room, but a fantastic outdoors dance floor, too!

There were so many good dancers that I felt like a kiddie in a sweetie shop, and it was good to catch up with people I don't see very often. The only minus was that I only got one dance with CRM.

If only SWS and I didn't have the traumatic experience with the hare on the way home, it would have been the perfect night.....

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRobMan View Post
    Jeanie - much the same, couple of lovely dances despite initial confusion...
    Thanks! Was nice to put another forumite face to a name I blame the initial confusion on the beer......

I too only went to the Sat night party & I had a fantastic night! Fab music on all dancefloors and the addition of the outside dancefloor was truly a treat

Thanks to everyone who made it such a great night

Hello everyone!!!

I can only agree with what's already been mentioned above:

It was a really fab weekend,
    so many many thanks to Sheena and Franck!

It was very nice to meet new people, especially from exotic places like Northern Ireland - nice bunch!

Now I'm back to normal, sitting at work (or rather swaying ), counting the minutes until 5pm and coping with my annoying (though today thankfully quiet) colleague.

See some of you tonight at the Glasgow class and others at future parties I presume.

Cheerio

Anica

PS: I really enjoyed that punch!!

Commercial Operator

Hi All

What more can we (Mandy and I) add? It was a truly great weekend. Our first and definitely not the last. We traveled 470 miles from darkest Oxford (ish) and it was worth every mile.

Franck and Sheena, your reputation in this neck of the woods is well deserved. I came away feeling that I had really learned some great new stuff and had a great time doing it!

It has to be said though that the warmth and friendliness of the people there were a massive plus. Thanks to everyone for just making it fun.

We would really like to meet up again so are thinking of booking up for the Hogmanay party so hope to see some of you there again. Anybody planning to go?

Thanks again to everyone.
    Peace
    Mark & Mandy

Commercial Operator

One last thing.....

As I am c**p at remembering names and dont know who each of the forum handles are anyway, how about a msg back saying who was who (names/faces/dances to forum handles). Just be nice to put a memory to a forumite!

On the other hand, if you would rather not say who you are I understand

Cheers
    mark

The Forum Legend

Ummm. I don't think we spoke, and I wasn't there the whole weekend, but I was the one doing the music in the main room on the Saturday night....

Commercial Operator

Hi The Tramp (Steve isn't it?) We spoke briefly towards the end of Saturday evening when I asked yo about the Microwave Dave track (Roadrunner). Saw you dancing with some of the ladies there, very cool.

Thanks for the info in the track. I have downloaded the album with my Napster account, great album!

Any chance of posting the playlist? There were loads of great tracks I hadn't heard before.

Thanks
    Mark

I was one of the ladies dancing with thetramp. I am not sure if we danced/introduced ourselves (if i knew who you were i could answer that question) I was the one with the dodgy ear! There is a pic on my profile so you can maybe see if you recognise me! Anyway i am Dee from Northern Ireland!

Commercial Operator

Hi Dee
    Dont think we met (or danced ) during the weekend. If I am right you are the lady giving Franck some stick on Sunday morning. Very funny

I have just booked Mandy and I on the Hogmanay party so hope to see you there!

Take care
    Mark

Yes that was me!!

I dont dance in Scotland so i wont be at the Hogmanay Party but hopefully see you soon!

Thread Information