Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dance-related hobbies

zorbing

Originally posted by Stuart M
    I'll have a look into 1-4. Or alternatively there's zorbing, which I believe you can do in somewhere in Perthshire.
    No, I think zorbing is best done on my home planet, the Planet Zorb. But is it really a new hobby you need to fill up your leisure hours and improve your dancing? Do you not just ( ahem!) need a regular dance partner with whom to practice the yummier, trickier moves?

Originally posted by Stuart M
    Usually just called paintball - Bedlam have a venue near Aberdeen I think.

The one time I tried it, I ended up with a sore back after some idiot shot me there from quite close . Wouldn't go again unless I knew everyone in the parties taking part (we were teamed up against a stag night of neds).
    The one I've been to a few times is "Skirmish", but try this URL for reviews and lists of all companies running paintball:
    www.justpaintball.co.uk

Good fun, but you have to be carefull of "Neds", "Supermen" and "Psychos". Allways best if you have "nutters", "snipers" and "shambling mounds" on your team

Keep taking the medication, Gadget !!!

Heather,
    X

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Gadget

Good fun, but you have to be carefull of "Neds", "Supermen" and "Psychos". Allways best if you have "nutters", "snipers" and "shambling mounds" on your team

boys and their toys eh !!!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose violent hobbies might help get rid of aggresion and stress but I prefer going to the cinema than running about 'killing' people

Originally posted by Gadget
    Hee Hee!I am a closet psycho! Let me at 'em!!

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by fruitcake
    Hee Hee!I am a closet psycho! Let me at 'em!!

now why doesn't that surprise me .............. better be careful the next time we dance then

Look- forget the rest. Spring is just around the corner and it's time to get out into the garden and get some dirt under those fingernails. Happiness is a warm greenhouse.

Originally posted by Bill
    now why doesn't that surprise me .............. better be careful the next time we dance then
    No love, you'll be alright, cos it'll be slow music and I'll just have a wee nap on your shoulder- but you should see me in charge of an electric drill- I pretend I'm Lara Croft- ooer!
    (unless anyones watching of course!!)

No love, you'll be alright, cos it'll be slow music and I'll just have a wee nap on your shoulder- but you should see me in charge of an electric drill- I pretend I'm Lara Croft- ooer!
    (unless anyones watching of course!!)
    PS although I don't actually resemble lara croft in Any way, shape or form, its a lot of pretending I have to do

B.T.C.
    PS although I don't actually resemble lara croft in Any way, shape or form, its a lot of pretending I have to do

so the buzzing noises are from the electric drill are they.....

An Eclectic Toaster

Re: Dance-related hobbies

Though it worthwhile resurrecting an ancient thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Monika
    Stuart
    Good luck in finding a new hobby. I recommend rock-climbing! Includes both mental and physical pursuits and is good fun. I know several people with dance-related injuries/pains & aches and most of them involves problems with shoulders and/or neck: Climbing will help you build strength to avoid these types of injuries and help you switch off and good anti stress medicine.
    Well, over 2 years later and I finally got round to taking someone's advice on the Forum (at the behest of my other half, I must add)! Rep to Monika for suggesting this. I started a couple of weeks back, been a few times and lovin' it already! Plus points: all those Mon mentions above, also
    • a better understanding of body position and balance transfer.
    • specifically, increased upper body strength.
    • you get to stare at fit bods of your gender preference contorted into interesting positions for ages, and no-one asks questions
    • for a bloke, it has a whole new range of geeky gear to buy, and terminology to bandy around.

Only downside is that I am now developing finger muscles - at this rate my hands will resemble Charles Atlas glove puppets in a couple of months...

Donna

I've tried rock climbing before and loved it! We ended up going down some caves at the top of the cliffs which was excellent... but spooky at the same time!

[*] a better understanding of body position and balance transfer.
    It certainly does!

specifically, increased upper body strength.
    It really builds your legs up too.

[*] you get to stare at fit bods of your gender preference contorted into interesting positions for ages, and no-one asks questions

Tut. men!

Only downside is that I am now developing finger muscles - at this rate my hands will resemble Charles Atlas glove puppets in a couple of months

I've noticed this thread recently and since I am just back from my first fencing lesson, I thought I would post how it went (haven't read the thread from beginning to end so apologies if this has already been said ).

I spent an hour with lovely Douglas - a fellow ceroc dancer and very experienced fencing champions producer! - who took me through the basics at fleuret. (many thanks Douglas ).

So, I'm convinced that it will be great to improve:
    - balance
    - posture (can't slouch!)
    - concentration - if you rush things it just goes wrong, must take a lot of self-control (without even thinking about competition and stress and strategy...)
    - patience: it's a lot to take in, you have to concentrate on a lot of things at the same time and it will just take time before I remember them all - and even longer before I can do them propely!

So I think there's a good chance it'll have some good repercussions on my dancing, we'll see. I'm especially expecting this to improve my balance.

I was a bit worried that my knees wouldn't like it (I have bad knees), but actually it was fine. The problem in the future might be my wrist (to much computing and clicking!) but we'll see it's fine for now.

So although it's too early to say if I'm really gonna get into it, I surely enjoyed that first class and I will definately give it a try in the coming weeks and months.

Realised an important bit about how fencing might help your dancing, especially relevant for the followers.
    I think it will really develop thigh muscles, especially the right thigh (for right handed) and it may very well come in very useful for drops - or coming out of them!!!

Thread Information