Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Feedback on recent changes

Re: Feedback on recent changes

Quote Originally Posted by Funky Si
    Hi Andy,

I shall see if we can get a list of the new beginners moves on the Cerockent site

www.kordmusic.com

and webmaster of...

www.cerockent.com

Why do I have to "Click (again!) to enter these sites"? It's very annoying!!. One click should take me straight there.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard
    Why do I have to "Click (again!) to enter these sites"?
    Because they were designed by amateurs.

Bypass links, for your convenience...

http://www.kordmusic.com/km_main_jy.htm

http://www.cerockent.com/main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    Because they were designed by amateurs.

Bypass links, for your convenience...

http://www.kordmusic.com/km_main_jy.htm

http://www.cerockent.com/main.htm
    That figures. Although I'm an amateur myself I know better than that.

Just been perusing the Kidderminster and Worcester site. Do you have any hand in that?

Nice video, but it takes time on dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigger Andy
    Hi there !
    4. The 25 'Classic Intermediate Moves'.

I'm not keen on the idea of doing as many as 2 of these 25 so-called 'Classic Intermediate Moves' per 'Intermediate Class'. As a 'leader', my feelings are that I want to learn as many new moves as possible to expand my repertoire. The normal situation is that during the 'Freestyle' sessions people dance each dance with a different partner. The ladies, or followers, therefore are not perhaps aware that a man, or leader, is doing the same dance with every lady that he dances with. While this is fine for the ladies it can become very boring for the man !

I have been going to Ceroc classes for nearly 2 years now and I have felt this for the entire time that I have been dancing.

I would like to see a greater variety of moves being taught rather than being restricted like this.

I feel that on the whole, the effects of these changes to the Ceroc class have the effect of bringing the overall level down for the benefit of the beginners. How do you intend to cater for the more advanced dancers who are not now being catered for so well ?

I'm afraid that this feedback may not be quite what you wanted to hear. However, it reflects my feelings. Also, from talking to fellow Ceroc dancers, I believe that my feelings also represent the feelings of many others who may be less willing to discuss how they feel. I hope that this feedback is of use to you.

What do you think ?
    Hi Back.
    Just a personal comment. Im at the end of begineers and at the start of intermediate. My first Intermediate class was teaching 2 variations of std intermediate moves. I didn't even know the move in the first place so a variation!!! I was lucky that there were several other "confused" types there.

And I am not going to blame teachers as such as most i have come across are great.

From my own experience there has to be some leeway to teaching the core intermeate moves even if its one per night. I was told that the best thing to do was go to a workshop. Not always a cheap option.

I am lucky in being a DJ. I have been collaring some of the regulars to teach me the core intermediates and now I get more from the class.

But I believe there is a gulf there and it's maybe why many leave after begineers.

Perhaps we need more ADVANCED classes.

Regards

DJ Chris Uren

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU
    Just a personal comment. Im at the end of begineers and at the start of intermediate. My first Intermediate class was teaching 2 variations of std intermediate moves. I didn't even know the move in the first place so a variation!!! I was lucky that there were several other "confused" types there.
    I think Chris is completely right. If you're going to say that people need to do 6 beginners lessons before they do the intermediate lesson you do have to pitch the level of the intermediate lesson at dancers who've had 6 beginners lessons. I keep seeing intermediate lessons which are too hard for those newly moved up dancers - why?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    I think Chris is completely right. If you're going to say that people need to do 6 beginners lessons before they do the intermediate lesson you do have to pitch the level of the intermediate lesson at dancers who've had 6 beginners lessons. I keep seeing intermediate lessons which are too hard for those newly moved up dancers - why?
    One reason is bacuase the teachers have egos and they want to pose on stage .... not nice but in some cases true.

The other reason is that if you have a second class of 100 (based on my classes at Bowden), you have about 15 new Intermediates, about 45 who've danced 6 - 12 months, about 30 with over a year's experience and about 10 who I'd rate as really good intermediates. How do you teach a single class that addresses all their needs? I like it at clubs when they put on an advanced lesson (like Greenwich and Surbiton) .... but the trouble then is you get some people in the advanced class who patently up to the standrad of the teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    The other reason is that if you have a second class of 100 (based on my classes at Bowden), you have about 15 new Intermediates, about 45 who've danced 6 - 12 months, about 30 with over a year's experience and about 10 who I'd rate as really good intermediates. How do you teach a single class that addresses all their needs? I like it at clubs when they put on an advanced lesson (like Greenwich and Surbiton) .... but the trouble then is you get some people in the advanced class who patently up to the standrad of the teaching.
    We have recently implemented having an Intromediate classes every two weeks and also are going to be having an Intromediate workshop once a month aimed at preparing new beginners and so they aren't totally stunned when they do go up to Intermediate

Im making the cakes... how did that happen??

if left unchecked our Intermediate routines can get a little difficult. But we do try and keep it to a level that new intermediate should be able to follow most of the time.

One reason is bacuase the teachers have egos and they want to pose on stage .... not nice but in some cases true.

Yep. But there will always be people who try out a Class to high for them. Its a difficult problem but one that needs addressing. Its a problem that the BUSINESS will have to address to survive in the very long term.

And im back to a point I hold dearly. Going MJing is a reasonably priced passtime that virtually anybody can afford. But additionals like Workshops etc are NOT CHEAP.

Regards from a VERY rain soaked Leeds.

DJ Chris Uren

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU
    Yep. But there will always be people who try out a Class to high for them. Its a difficult problem but one that needs addressing. Its a problem that the BUSINESS will have to address to survive in the very long term.
    Sorry ... no it doesn't! MJ is doing very well indeed as it is. Its got a market penetration of what ... say 10%? Masses of room to grow and no sign of its rate of uotake slowing down at the moment. The biggest threat it has is not enough teachers. No matter how annoying the current situation is, MJ is still infinitely more accesible than nearly any other form of dance, and that includes pogo-ing!

Commercial Operator

The other reason is that if you have a second class of 100 (based on my classes at Bowden), you have about 15 new Intermediates, about 45 who've danced 6 - 12 months, about 30 with over a year's experience and about 10 who I'd rate as really good intermediates. How do you teach a single class that addresses all their needs?
    However, there are hundreds of intermediate moves. I don't think the level if difficulty is a concern, you just need to teach them something new each week. There's enough moves to put together a lesson that's got something new for most of the dancers in the room without making the moves too hard.

In my opinion, we move people up from the beginners too soon. I think people should know all the beginners moves and have the basics of lead and follow before they move up. Once you have the basic technique of MJ you should be able to do any of the intermediate moves. My own opinion is that there are no advanced moves. All moves can be taught to intermediate dancers - however, some dancers will take longer than others to get them.

I'd love to have a test we give beginners before we promote them to intermediate. But I'm too chicken to do it

Thread Information