Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on recent changes

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Bill
    WOnder if this idea holds true for Scotland ...Our three male teachers in Scotland don't really fit this 'profile' ....Franck, Obi and Scot are all wonderful dancers but don't really fit the young, slim, spiky look
    But these are all people who have been teaching for a long time.

I wonder how many of them would be accepted onto the Ceroc CTA course now. This goes for several of the other teachers who are teaching down south too.

Someone who I consider to be one of the best Ceroc teachers (Adam), was turned down 5 times I believe, and was only accepted as a franchisee, once he'd built up a successful jive business already.

Trampy

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    But these are all people who have been teaching for a long time.

I wonder how many of them would be accepted onto the Ceroc CTA course now. This goes for several of the other teachers who are teaching down south too.

Someone who I consider to be one of the best Ceroc teachers (Adam), was turned down 5 times I believe, and was only accepted as a franchisee, once he'd built up a successful jive business already.

Trampy
    Stever Nash, who`s been teaching Ceroc in Horsham for many years told me that he would no longer qualify as a Ceroc teacher because he thinks he`s too ugly

He told me I`m also too ugly - and too old

Agree. I know a number of CTA graduates who were only accepted because they were Franchisees (me being a case in point). I wonder that if, as part of the new world, any overweight, overage, receding hairline, non-gorgeous dancers have been accepted onto the CTA program?????

Hey ... Trampy ... get Franck to sponsor you to the CTA and put it to the test

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Gus
    Hey ... Trampy ... get Franck to sponsor you to the CTA and put it to the test
    Actually, I've already recently been put forward by one franchise holder (not Franck), to become an affiliated teacher under the proposed new scheme.

And was once again immediately rejected by Ceroc Head Office :shrug:

Trampy

Do they not give reasons?

Chris

Commercial Operator

Trampy
    It was probably your personality - you've got one

Probably because you think too much - won't just follow a routine or procedure because that's the way it's done: need to know why before blindley following directives.

erm.... { backtracking}... it's not that the existing or new teachers do this...just that Tramp would be a more "disruptive influence" than the 'norm'. {did I get away with that? }

So what are the entrance requirements to become a CTA? I would have thought that willingness and ability were all that were needed {and £££} - teaching skills and subject matter are what they should be passing on to the pupils. They can always fail those that do not promote the Ceroc way.
    Last edited by Gadget; 26th-February-2004 at 02:21 PM.

First night at Ceroc Rugby Thursday (Mar 4th). A very nice venue, with a very good crowd attending.

There was, as usual in openings, a high ratio of beginners to regulars. The new policy of the same beginners routine everywhere was in practise. The routine taught was the arm-jive swizzle, step-across, side-to-side step across, Ceroc-spin.

For various reasons many people did not think this an ideal routine to be taught as an intro to Ceroc, especially with so many newcomers. To my surprise the class "got it". I did not see anybody leave after the lesson, which was also unexpected. It is not unusual for the occasional beginner to flee then. In fact very few left before the end, when Alex and Emma treated us to their spectacular showcase routine.

I would think this was close to worst-case for the rigidity of the new policy, and it passed the test.

Next week, Sat 13th, we will find out how the freestyle in Rugby turns out, another bold experiment. A freestyle on the edge of a Franchise area where there is not a regular venue. Judging by the quality attendance from Leicester, Northampton and Kettering, and further, on Thursday it should be a success.

[i]Originally posted by bigdjiver
    For various reasons many people did not think this an ideal routine to be taught as an intro to Ceroc, especially with so many newcomers. To my surprise the class "got it".

Why did people not think it was ideal? I thought the main difficulty was the swizzle part but everyone coped, as you say. Several gung-ho beginner blokes went on to do the intermediate routine and seemed to manage that as well, though it was much easier than many intermediate routines.

Yes, Rugby is a lovely venue, with a nice floor. I liked the faintly exotic air provided by the Indian flags and paraphernalia. The bar staff were very friendly, too.

Which one was you, Bigdjiver?

Originally posted by jivecat
    Why did people not think it was ideal? I thought the main difficulty was the swizzle part but everyone coped, as you say. Several gung-ho beginner blokes went on to do the intermediate routine and seemed to manage that as well, though it was much easier than many intermediate routines.

Yes, Rugby is a lovely venue, with a nice floor. I liked the faintly exotic air provided by the Indian flags and paraphernalia. The bar staff were very friendly, too.

It is difficult to cast myself back into a beginners shoes, but the swizzle into a nelson is move that many find difficult, the step across is about as easy as it gets, the side to side pull across is a move that has many changes of orientation and requires a good lead, and the transition from that to a spin some ladies find difficult as they tend to be on the wrong foot, after all that the guy has the problem of reaching his left arm across to his right for the Ceroc spin. It is so second nature to most of us that we just cannot realise how daunting it can be.
    Emma knew, but is experienced enough to cope. Combining a beginners refresher into the intermediate worked superbly.

The barman does deserve recognition, his self-mocking use of the phrase "lubbly jubbly" won me over straight away.

Big is a sort of clue. I have a tendency to try and overcome height differences by kneeling, crouching, or lifting the ladies.

I saw no furry tails ...

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    [The barman does deserve recognition, his self-mocking use of the phrase "lubbly jubbly" won me over straight away.

Yeah, me too. He must say it to everyone!

I'm not very furry but I do like curling up in a warm spot.

Hmmm. Big? Still mystified.....

The Dashing Moderator
    Originally posted by jivecat
    Was wondering the same thing myself ...
    In fact very few left before the end, when Alex and Emma treated us to their spectacular showcase routine.
    That would be the one that won first prize in the Spotlight category at Blackpool yesterday....

I think that even though there were lots of beginners, there were still quite a few experienced dancers from Northampton (which was closed that night) and other folk coming along just to see what the new venue was like, which helped guide the beginners.

I think the test will be to see how it goes for the next few weeks when the novelty has worn off. Probably a smart move having a freestyle so soon though (IMHO anyway) as it will hopefully draw in other Ceroc Central regulars.
    Love dance, will travel

Originally posted by DavidY
    Probably a smart move having a freestyle so soon though (IMHO anyway) as it will hopefully draw in other Ceroc Central regulars.

True, except it's at another venue, isn't it? So I'll have to get lost in Rugby all over again.

Canterbury, Kent - The garden of England.
    I have now attended classes where I have learnt the following new 'Beginners Moves' :-
    'Back pass', 'Ceroc Spin', 'In and Out' and the new 'Yoyo'.

The 'Hatchback and 'Wurlitzer' are now considered to be 'Intermediate Moves'.

Does anyone know what the 'Beginners Moves' are any more ?

Is there a list of the 'Beginners Moves' anywhere ?

Something like the list of the 34 'Classic Intermediate Moves' on the Ceroc, Kent website at :- http://www.cerockent.com would be useful.

Hi Andy,

I shall see if we can get a list of the new beginners moves on the Cerockent site, as I think you have a good point!

Funky Si

www.kordmusic.com

and webmaster of...

www.cerockent.com

Another innovation that I had not seen before unveiled at Bedford last night - this time in moving on. For some reason women from miles away that I normally see twice a year descended on us in droves. The movers on were split into packs at the end of each set of double rows.

This meant that the ladies did not have to walk so far, and moving on was much quicker. It also meant that each set of two rows of men only got to dance with one group of ladies.

It also meant that the ladies could choose which group of men they could move around, and so either avoid an individual, or get a better chance of dancing with some others. It worked remarkably well.

For the second week in a row we had one of the new moves that many considered OTT. Many ladies do not want to wiggle their bottom at just anybody, as in the "Crucifix". (I think that a bad name, and do not care for the move) Or lift their foot between a mans legs (ripostes expected) I think that close to twenty dropouts from a class tells its own story.

The questionable moves were at least properly placed last in the lesson, so at least they got to enjoy most of it before quitting.

We also did an arm roll, imported I believe from Salsa, which is another thing I, and I think many others, would prefer to avoid.

The Oracle
    We also did an arm roll, imported I believe from Salsa, which is another thing I, and I think many others, would prefer to avoid.
    What is an arm roll?

Blog Entries

For the second week in a row we had one of the new moves that many considered OTT. Many ladies do not want to wiggle their bottom at just anybody, as in the "Crucifix". (I think that a bad name, and do not care for the move) Or lift their foot between a mans legs (ripostes expected) I think that close to twenty dropouts from a class tells its own story.
    Don't know the arm roll either but could the crucifix be what I call the "Lydia"??
    And am I the only one who really thought it was called that?
    Agree it's not an every day move and have only ever seen it taught in a workshop and I'm just remembering as I type that it was a Vicktor and Lydia workshop LOL.

Agree this is more of a special occasion move, I'm not exactly shy but I wouldn't be doing this with every Tom, Dick and Harry on the floor, indeed have turned myself out of it when invited to "get down" a few times before now.

Question, was it taught as an "invitational move"?

C

Another innovation that I had not seen before unveiled at Bedford last night - this time in moving on. For some reason women from miles away that I normally see twice a year descended on us in droves.
    That's probably because they'd heard Marc had been teaching there the last couple of weeks!!! (Though not last night - unfortunately.)

[I'm joking, of course ... I think!]
    Rachel

Oh - just read this again, cos it had got me thinking ....

When you say, OTT moves for the second week in a row .... Marc wasn't there last night, but he did teach Bedford last week, and I'd be very surprised if he had done any moves like that. I wasn't there, but I do usually go through his classes with him and 'vet' any of the moves, if necessary.

He certainly didn't do the crucifix or the foot between the mans' legs. Is there another move that he did which you think was unsuitable? Please let us know, cos feedback like that is vital.
    Rachel

Thread Information