Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Control

Originally posted by Jayne
    Are you trying to get me to take out the competition ahead of the competition???

I'm shocked.

But considering the option...

J
    Oi!! Leave 'im alone.

M

Originally posted by Franck
    Totally agree, the air dancing and the one-finger (or finger tips only) leads have been a part of most workshops, and indeed recently of the Beginners classes I have been teaching.
    It's always worth remembering that each of us are responsible for our own momentum rather than relying on our partner to move us.
    You are so cool, looking forward to meeting up with you.

Yesssss - body weight, momentum etc.
    Whenever I dance with Nina, she always has full control

If you truely teach like that, must mean most of the Scotish followers are a joy to dance with...

Looking forward to it in April...

Marty

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by spindr
    you can get compression from the lady's right hand in your left hand *and* . . . It means that the lady is really ready for the turn out.
    I can't comment on Salsa at all, but as I would only rarely lead a turn out from this position, too much compression from the follower into my left hand could disrupt what is going to happen next. (Even when I know what is going to happen next!) Also for a double time turn out, I find it much easier with a lighter lead/follow rather than going too rigid.

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    I can't comment on Salsa at all, but as I would only rarely lead a turn out from this position, too much compression from the follower into my left hand could disrupt what is going to happen next. (Even when I know what is going to happen next!) Also for a double time turn out, I find it much easier with a lighter lead/follow rather than going too rigid.
    It's probably at this point that I'd start waving hands, or trying to demo things physically -- so, I'll apologise for a lack of written clarity.

1). I think the follower's compression and tension should match the leader's -- I can't comment on other leader's, but I like "a lot of" feedback, it really helps me know whereabouts and how a follower is moving.

2). I think there's a difference between compression and rigidity -- the best way I can express it is that with more compression it might take a slightly "clearer" lead to start the lady to say bend an arm, but once the the arm starts bending there's not really any rigidity stopping the arm from bending.

3). I think as regards turns, it depends whether you're leading a turn where the "impetus" is from the overhead hand (drawing a halo) where there should definitely be some compression between hands (palms?), or a turn where the overhead hand is simply acting as a "pivot" point.

Yes, I like a light lead -- probably only leading on one/two fingers -- but I also like to get compression back, especially when leading in confined spaces, etc.

SpinDr.

P.S. If you're at Bisley/Twyford this w/end, then I'd be happy to hand wave if required

Blog Entries
    Yessss! *punch air smiley* - looking forward to seeing you at Twyford, Neil.

Sorry, off thread (so kept it brief)

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by spindr
    P.S. If you're at Bisley/Twyford this w/end, then I'd be happy to hand wave if required
    Yes I'll be at Bisley for a demo, but can't make Twyford.

Greg

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Stuart M
    You're really not doing much to discourage that regional stereotype Bill...

Sorry........just that we poorly paid lecturers need a little help......... that and the fatc that I'm Aberdonian ............thought you were going to offer there

Thread Information