View Poll Results: Does it matter what you wear to dance in?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wear whatever I'm comfortable in

56 50.91%
  • I always dress up

27 24.55%
  • I only dress up on specific nights/for specific venues

47 42.73%
  • I specifically avoid dressing up

6 5.45%
  • I find people who dress up intimidating

2 1.82%
  • I never take any notice of what people wear

15 13.64%
  • All that matters is that they're clean and don't smell

53 48.18%
  • I only dance with people if I like what they're wearing

3 2.73%
  • Other (please add comment in thread)

3 2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it matter what you wear?

Glitter Queen

Does it matter what you wear?

Last week I went to Hipsters and it was comented on that I was "Too dressed up for a Tuesday night" and, at the same time, I found had a rather poor night as far as dancing goes because hardly anyone asked me to dance.

This week I specifically dressed more casually and had a much more successful night, in that I was asked to dance more regularly.

Do other dancers out there find that it matters what they wear on specific nights/to specific venues?
    (by dressing up I mean putting on smart/posh clothes, not cross-dressing or monkey suits, OK people?! )
    Last edited by Sparkles; 14th-July-2004 at 03:09 PM.

Glitter Queen

Re: Does it matter what you wear?

PS. you can tick as many boxes as are appropriate!

Hmm, I've just lied in the poll. I ticked I don't notice what people wear which is blatantly untrue. I most definitely notice what people wear, for example Sparkles was her usual, elegant self last night, along with the other ladies I had the pleasure of dancing with. What I think I meant was I don't necessarily take what they are wearing into consideration, if I want to dance with them. Having said that, nicely dressed will catch my eye more easily than not, in a freestyle situation. What can I say - I'm a man and I don't have a leg to stand on as at class, I'm a MIB as often as not

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Last week I went to Hipsters and it was comented on that I was "Too dressed up for a Tuesday night" and, at the same time, I found had a rather poor night as far as dancing goes because hardly anyone asked me to dance.
    Well I'm sorry I wasn't there. I would happily dance with you no matter how dressed up or down you are.

Whoever commented that you were too dressed up for a Tuesday deserves a slap. (go on, PM me who it was )

I love it when the girls dress up (unless the clothes make the dancing difficult, like a big flouncy ballgown, for instance ). I make no apologies.. I'm a guy after all ...

But it's still the dancer and her dancing that attracts me the most - I'd rather dance with a fab dancer in ordinary clothes than a yanker dressed up to the nines.

But you'll find no complaints from me if there's both in the same package

Chris

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Red face Re: Does it matter what you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    But you'll find no complaints from me if there's both in the same package Chris
    Have a dance with Andy McG - you'll get more than you bargained for in that package and it will be exquisitely dressed as well...!!!
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

I do not like clothes with too many traps for wayward fingers, or the dance being disrupted by parallel straps that keep falling off the shoulder, and am daunted by simply too much costume for MJ. I have only ever once not asked a lady to dance on the basis of her costume, and that was because of the "too much" criterion, and I regretted that afterwards, on thinking about it, because she had tried so hard and not got many dances.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would be interesting to see what percentage of men compared to women dress up

I noticed what you were wearing last week, a lovely black dress and I thought how lovely you looked.

I have to confess to being a sucker for a nicely dressed man! Being totally honest, it doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman, my eyes are probably drawn to them more if they're presented nicely! And I'll make an effort to watch to see how they dance!

I think it adds to an evening (Party nights) if everyone makes an effort.

But just to completely contradict my self now, one of my best nights ever, was on a recent hen weekend to Ibiza, when we got there it was already past midnight and everyone agreed, just dump the cases in the rooms and go out as we were! Trainers the lot! Though it might have had a little to do with the alcohol on the flight!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver
    I do not like clothes with too many traps for wayward fingers
    errrmmmm....

J

(another useful post I think you'll find!)

Blog Entries

Just remembered something... shout me down if you like but YES, I have refused someone on the bases of what they were wearing! I was asked to dance by a man at Hammersmith once and quite franckly he looked like a dirty unwashed tramp! 3 seconds would have been too much to bare, let alone 3 minutes!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lory
    I have to confess to being a sucker for a nicely dressed man!
    ...Though to be honest that's probably just an initial impression, and it wouldn't affect whther or not I asked them to dance

This is a tricky poll

Who is going to wear something they are not “comfortable in”

Yes someone’s dress (know locally as THAT dress) is intimidating, but it’s not going to stop me dancing with lady in Question

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove
    This is a tricky poll

Who is going to wear something they are not “comfortable in”
    Ladies? Shoes? When did you leave the monastery?

I think i've said this elsewhere but I always like to dress up and look smart even on a normal class night. I dont like casual and I dont feel comfortable unless I make an effort with my apperance. I think that stems from my days in the army as we had to be immaculately dressed at all times. I dont feel like I've been out unless I've shaved and have dressed well and smell nice. Thats purely personal thing. I dont look for dance partners by what they are dressed in I'm not that fussy, I just like to ask as many ladies as possible to dance as i can.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie
    I think i've said this elsewhere but I always like to dress up and look smart even on a normal class night. I dont like casual and I dont feel comfortable unless I make an effort with my apperance. I think that stems from my days in the army as we had to be immaculately dressed at all times. I dont feel like I've been out unless I've shaved and have dressed well and smell nice. Thats purely personal thing. I dont look for dance partners by what they are dressed in I'm not that fussy, I just like to ask as many ladies as possible to dance as i can.
    Gentlemen take note... ... (isn't that right, Lory?! )

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

I don't know about smartness of dress, but I've heard a number of girls mention that they get asked to dance a lot more if they're showing more skin. I've never tried that approach myself ...

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    ...they get asked to dance a lot more if they're showing more skin. I've never tried that approach myself ...
    I've worn shorts before (which does show more skin, I guess). Don't think it works (not with my legs anyway )
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Gentlemen take note... ... (isn't that right, Lory?! )
    ABSOLUTLY!

Blog Entries

Sticky out petticoats and mid calf circle skirts feel FAB to dance in - take a bit of getting used to, but only in the way that wearing heels take a bit of getting used to when you're about 14!!

Now that I've got the feel for it I take every opportunity to use the spare hand for a bit of skirt swishing a la Cha Cha Degregorio in Grease (OK it probably doesn't actually look like it but that's what I'm TRYING to do!!)

Top tip for spagetti straps - make them as short as possible (but not digging in) and watch your posture, shoulders back boobs out etc.

Top tip for posture (in my humble experience) is the Wonderbra basque...again takes a bit of getting used to and I know it's not for everyone but it does give great support and means I couldn't look down at my feet (instead of at my partner of course) if I wanted to!!

Top tip for basque buying, buy one a chest (not cup) size smaller than you would normally buy a bra and wear it on the widest setting until it stretches, which it will.

Long live GLAM!!

Andy, this is a GIRL POST!!!!!

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Talking Re: Does it matter what you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    Sticky out petticoats and mid calf circle skirts feel FAB to dance in - take a bit of getting used to, but only in the way that wearing heels take a bit of getting used to when you're about 14!!

Now that I've got the feel for it I take every opportunity to use the spare hand for a bit of skirt swishing a la Cha Cha Degregorio in Grease (OK it probably doesn't actually look like it but that's what I'm TRYING to do!!)

Top tip for spagetti straps - make them as short as possible (but not digging in) and watch your posture, shoulders back boobs out etc.

Top tip for posture (in my humble experience) is the Wonderbra basque...again takes a bit of getting used to and I know it's not for everyone but it does give great support and means I couldn't look down at my feet (instead of at my partner of course) if I wanted to!!

Top tip for basque buying, buy one a chest (not cup) size smaller than you would normally buy a bra and wear it on the widest setting until it stretches, which it will.

Long live GLAM!!

WOW...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't stop now - keep going....what about suspender belts and the like - you've only covered (or not quite by the above description) the top half....

Hosiery and stay ups....what about them.....

Sorry to interupt - please DO go on....
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet

You could have put that at the top of the post

Thread Information