View Poll Results: Does it matter what you wear to dance in?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wear whatever I'm comfortable in

56 50.91%
  • I always dress up

27 24.55%
  • I only dress up on specific nights/for specific venues

47 42.73%
  • I specifically avoid dressing up

6 5.45%
  • I find people who dress up intimidating

2 1.82%
  • I never take any notice of what people wear

15 13.64%
  • All that matters is that they're clean and don't smell

53 48.18%
  • I only dance with people if I like what they're wearing

3 2.73%
  • Other (please add comment in thread)

3 2.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Does it matter what you wear?

Commercial Operator

Re: Does it matter what you wear?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim
    The standard of dress amongst some male jivers is lamentable. It takes little effort to dress appropriately.
    I think people should show they've made an effort. And I do think that some guys let the women down. Every woman gives considerable thought to her clothes/hair/shoes/fragrance/etc before she goes dancing: some guys go in a t-shirt, jeans and trainers

p.s. Hey Pilgrim, who are you

As much as i agree with what Andy has said ... , I am also a firm believer that whoever you are, you should dress in whatever makes you comfortable. If there is a special party night on, I think you'll find 95% of men and women make the effort....I also think that the same 95% can't / don't want to wear there posh togs all night as they're either impracticle or people just don't feel comfortable in them for that particular environment.

Looking at these posts, I'm obviously one of those lamentable types that wear pyjamas and t-shirts...sometimes even vests... but then again, that's me, that's the style i like. Whether people believe me or not, I pick my clothes carefully and feel they give me the identity I have today, and the one that I want to portray, and not one I think might rub someone up the wrong way. I make sure nothing I wear is offensive or rude, is clean and tidy...and if you don't like it, then.....,then...., you can lump it *harumph*

James x x
    (currently wearing a pair of baggies and a t-shirt........my tux is in the wash )

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    Looking at these posts, I'm obviously one of those lamentable types that wear pyjamas and t-shirts
    I don't think anyone could describe you as lamentable, James!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    my tux is in the wash )
    OH MY GOD! JB in a tux - be still my heart The kilt first now a tux *swoon*
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I don't think anyone could describe you as lamentable, James!
    The few times I've seen James dance I would say his dress code was "funky"

What I was saying earlier is that some guys seem to give their outfit no thought at all and, compared to the women, these guys look like they should have been down the pub rather than pairing up with women who have given their look so much consideration

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Don't go there Sheena: that way madness lies

James, do you think we could have a picture?

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    James, do you think we could have a picture?
    Or several...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    T

What I was saying earlier is that some guys seem to give their outfit no thought at all and, compared to the women, these guys look like they should have been down the pub rather than pairing up with women who have given their look so much consideration
    I would go further and suggest that some guys seem to have come straight from the potting shed or even the gym. Funny how I can never seem to see any female equivalents...

Guys seem to give their outfit no thought at all and, compared to the women, these guys look like they should have been down the pub rather than pairing up with women who have given their look so much consideration.
    In other news, women die for more often to eating disorders. There is a theory that this is caused by the comparatively greater pressure placed on women to look good, compared to men. This, in turn, is theorised to be because men tend to be focused more on outward appearance, where women care more about inner beauty.

Food for thought? Depends how many calories are in it, I suppose.

I think people should show they've made an effort. And I do think that some guys let the women down. Every woman gives considerable thought to her clothes/hair/shoes/fragrance/etc before she goes dancing: some guys go in a t-shirt, jeans and trainers

p.s. Hey Pilgrim, who are you

Spare a thought for the Men who have to wear a shirt and tie all week. WE DO GET FED UP WITH DRESS CODES. Most people who dance get hot and sweaty I think the main issue is to wear somthing clean you can change easily that you are comfortable dancing In nobody likes dancing with people soaked in sweat. Personnally the thought of dancing in formal dress or a zoot suit for that matter as impractical and bizarre. silly hats exempt of course. : waycool:

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cool
    Spare a thought for the Men who have to wear a shirt and tie all week. WE DO GET FED UP WITH DRESS CODES. Most people who dance get hot and sweaty I think the main issue is to wear somthing clean you can change easily that you are comfortable dancing In nobody likes dancing with people soaked in sweat.
    I think people should just dress in what is comfortable for them on a normal dance night but it is nice to see everybody dressed smartly on a freestyle night. If it's something like a 'black tie' night for example whereby the men put their suits on....they don't last for any longer than an hour. Before you know it, the tie comes off, then the shirt replaced with a t-shirt . - about 50 of them in one night!!

I would love to dress up to go dancing. Zoot suits, Evening wear, combat trousers etc. I don't (except for the little red dress for special occasions) for two reasons:

1. Aesthetic. I look at the great, colourful, confusing riot of clothes other people wear to dance. I try out clothes like them. Result: I look a sad, middle-aged man trying to recapture something.

2. Practical: Until someone sells a retail version of the NASA spaceman cooling suit that pumps refridgerent around little tubes next to my body, I will sweat copiously and distractingly when I dance. If I wore anything stylish or tailored I would poach. I have to wear the lightest most breathable fabric I can find. It's not an anti-perspirant thing - it's a physiological thing with me. I wish it were not so. Hence I take 5 T-Shirts a night to a dance - it's the only practical solution.

Oh, if I a lady dances with me and thinks I am too sweaty - tell me. I will change T-shirt. Sorry if this information upsets or offends anyone reading this.

Andy - you will just have to continue despising what I and my kind (sweaty men) wear.

Clive

Glitter Queen

I'm glad this thread seems to have made a come-back, it would be interesting to hear what more of you think on this topic.

I think there's a different between 'dressing up' and 'making an effort'. If all the T-shirts/shirts a man wears to a dancing night are smart and presentable I would consider that to be 'making an effort', as opposed to looking like you've just come out from under a car bonnet or from the depths of a potting shed . 'Dressing up', on the other hand, might be more along the lines of wearing something particularly special that you would not normally wear.

BUT, I think it's all relative... Where as one person might consider 'dressing up' to be a full zoot suit, another might consider putting on a freshly-ironed Hawiian shirt to be dressed up... so I guess it's a matter of degree.

S. x

Unfortunately I too am of the "leaky skin" variety so I wear bright swirly skirts and plain black vest t-shirts. I take along 4 or so black vest t-shirts so that I can change but not change my whole outfit.

It's not just the guys that get very sweaty.

Donna

Hence I take 5 T-Shirts a night to a dance - it's the only practical solution.
    I know someone who takes more than/ and wears more than 5 t-shirts in one night!!

Oh, if I a lady dances with me and thinks I am too sweaty - tell me.
    But...that would make you more paranoid no??

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    I'm glad this thread seems to have made a come-back, it would be interesting to hear what more of you think on this topic.

I think there's a different between 'dressing up' and 'making an effort'. If all the T-shirts/shirts a man wears to a dancing night are smart and presentable I would consider that to be 'making an effort', as opposed to looking like you've just come out from under a car bonnet or from the depths of a potting shed . 'Dressing up', on the other hand, might be more along the lines of wearing something particularly special that you would not normally wear.

BUT, I think it's all relative... Where as one person might consider 'dressing up' to be a full zoot suit, another might consider putting on a freshly-ironed Hawiian shirt to be dressed up... so I guess it's a matter of degree.

S. x
    S. I have to say that you are never less than beautifully and elegantly dressed - it is noticed - and appreciated - adding to that such an accomplished dancer ... well ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    But...that would make you more paranoid no??
    How can I be paranoid if I know what the problem is and take steps to tackle it?

However.

Some might say it would be difficult for me to be more paranoid.

They're there you know. Just because you can't see them - doesn't mean they're not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    It's not just the guys that get very sweaty.
    I also have glowing like a pig tendencies...

Dorothy Perkins black vest tops at a fiver a throw. Fantastic.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long
    S. I have to say that you are never less than beautifully and elegantly dressed - it is noticed - and appreciated - adding to that such an accomplished dancer ... well ...

How can I be paranoid if I know what the problem is and take steps to tackle it?

However.

Some might say it would be difficult for me to be more paranoid.

They're there you know. Just because you can't see them - doesn't mean they're not there.

Hmmmm... you may find this useful then. www.no-bo.com

Glitter Queen

Since some people seem to be voting on this poll again I was wondering...

Is it more difficult to dress up/make an effort with clothing now that there are so many more weekenders and freestyles? With more on offer are people more selective about where they wear their 'posh frock' to? Or is it just an excuse for more shopping and more 'posh frocks'?

Thread Information