View Poll Results: Would you be a taxi dancer?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Show me where to sign!

9 11.39%
  • I'm already a taxi dancer and am happy with the system

13 16.46%
  • I'm already a taxi dancer but I think the system could be improved

11 13.92%
  • I would if the perks were better...

2 2.53%
  • I'm not yet confident enough in my dancing abilities to consider it

4 5.06%
  • I used to be a taxi dancer but gave it up...

14 17.72%
  • No way!

19 24.05%
  • I can't decide...

7 8.86%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you be a taxi dancer?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Would you be a taxi dancer?

Do you need to be a good dancer to be a taxi or just an acurate lead/dancer ( i have put lead as most female taxis i know have to be able to lead)???

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
    Yes, I would definately want to do it once I got to be a better dancer
    I love to help new dancers anyway, so to do it officially would be great! Must be so rewarding, especially the look on someones face when they manage to get to grips with the move they've been having problems with But, i'm not sure if i'd be able to do it-don't know if I could ever lead a dance-I don't know how you girls do it

Ash x

(A wannabe taxi )
    Yes, this is the main reason I do it - I like teaching/healping people. But I also like the admit one tickets I must admit.

I taxi every other week, and am not bothered by the commitment angle, as I would be there anyway - but I don't want to do it any more regularly than that, as I find it quite tiring, and also it tends to get to my shoulders a bit. A lot of the beginners will yank you until they're explained that this isn't really very comfortable - some still yank you even when you have explained better ways to lead, as it takes them a while to get the hang of things (or they're very stuborn?!).

As to the question from the other thread about whether it improves or degrades your dancing, by the end of a night of taxiing my dancing is defintely worse - sometimes because I'm tired and sometimes because I will use backleading to get a point across to a beginner man, and then fall into it with non-beginners without realising. But overall it probably improves my lead, as I have to be very precise and directional to get beginner women to follow, and I also have to understand the beginner moves precisely to be able to explain them to people who are struggling.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trish

I taxi every other week, and am not bothered by the commitment angle, as I would be there anyway - but I don't want to do it any more regularly than that, as I find it quite tiring, and also it tends to get to my shoulders a bit. A lot of the beginners will yank you until they're explained that this isn't really very comfortable - some still yank you even when you have explained better ways to lead, as it takes them a while to get the hang of things (or they're very stuborn?!).

I have to agree with you here! I think you need to be very patient and also a strong dancer (not in the muscle sence, altho it helps)! I too have went home with sore shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Is this the same as my world-renowned "stretch limos" (super-taxis) proposal of, oh, 6 weeks ago?
    Actually, forget it: Been thinking some more on the drive home; that's what the teacher is for.

I looked for a simple yes answer, but there is not one. I already act as a part-time "loose cannon"/rogue/impromptu/amatuer one.

I reckon it'd be cool, though I don't think I'm a good enough dancer yet, and I just don't enjoy having to address groups of people – especially when I'm having to make it up as I go along!

Reminds me of cringe-worthy games of charades.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I think it's because i don't like the fact i'm committed to turning up ever other week without fail at the same time.

If dancers want to help the begginers there's nothing stopping them from doing so as a regular customer. You don't have to wear the black t-shirt to be of help
    I am nowhere near good enough to taxi - but really love to "pay forward" all the help I've had by helping complete newbies in the beginners class on the very occasional occasion that I actually feel I can give some worthy advice.

But I wouldn't want to be on duty to do that - a) I'm far too irresponsible and b) I hate T-shirts with sleeves, the sleeves would have to go

You forgot an option - I would if I had the time - I have exactly 1 night a week available for Ceroc, and that is also half-booked with ballroom lessons!

I was a taxi dancer for two years, then had a break, and am now a taxi again. I quite enjoy helping beginners, but agree with the sore shoulder thing.... Some people can be quite a challenge to teach, particularly when it comes to yanking, and waving arms around wildly......!

I normally get a very nice response from my group of beginners at the end of the class, which is good, and both men and women come to ask me for a dance or just to chat. Unfortunately you do occasionally get a beginner who thinks you're there just for him (or her) the whole night, and they don't want to understand that you're meant to be available to other beginners, too! Have anyone else had this 'problem'? There has been a couple of occasions where beginners have stalked off in a huff after I've declined to dance with them for the fifth or sixth time in one night, despite me trying to say I have to be there for other dancers, too.

What I really enjoy, is seeing dancers develop from really awkward and clumsy dancers, to really stylish and confident dancers! I particularly remember one guy I was a taxi for many years ago, who had a grip like steel, would always stare at the floor, and was about as flexible as a brick wall. He's now FANTASTIC! I love dancing with him, and he's taken up lots of new styles, too. He's smooth!

The best thing, however, is to see someone who's never had rythm all of a sudden go "Aha!!!" and start dancing on the beat!

Oh, and I do enjoy getting in for free the nights I'm not on duty.....

Monkey

Myself & my comp partner at present (Shera!) are taxi dancers for CeRoc Gloucs at their new North Bristol class - it's fun & good to give something back - best of all I feel I am part of an exceptional CeRoc outfit,(Debs & John Baker, H, etc) having done taxing before I didnt think I would return to it, but I am glad I have... and we get a nice blackish t-shirt :-). Shera is also getting her first gentle intro to teaching..., hey john want a DJ? he he

G

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    Inspired by recent discussions...

... would you?
    No. I'm not nice enough!

Daisy

(A Nasty Little Flower)

To me taxi-ing (and/or demo-ing) could be seen as a "rite of passage". Myself and many of my MJ friends had been dancing for 12-18 months, become a taxi for about the same length of time, and have since given up. Usually they cite too much committment and/or missing the intermediate lesson means a lack of progression (only in terms of move content). Has anyone else had the same experience?

Having said all this, its probably something that I would do again, and its certainly no prerequisite to becoming (or not) a better dancer.

Is running the taxi class of more benefit to the taxi man, learning the subtleties of leading anyone? It strikes me that the female taxi benefits less from the taxi class herself, but the beginner men benefit more from her being there. But then I feel this is a whole different can of worms?

Quote Originally Posted by Gladrags
    missing the intermediate lesson means a lack of progression (only in terms of move content).
    The nights when i taxi and miss the intermediate class, i ask one of the experienced male dancers to teach me the intermediate moves, so that i'm not missing out. But some weeks they do the moves anyway during the final half hour freestyle, i think trying to catch me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    I particularly remember one guy I was a taxi for many years ago, who had a grip like steel, would always stare at the floor, and was about as flexible as a brick wall. He's now FANTASTIC! I love dancing with him, and he's taken up lots of new styles, too. He's smooth!
    That's not the gentleman I had to mention the other night because I soooo enjoyed dancing with is it? If so, praise be to anyone , teachers and taxis who encourage such men

Is there a taxi application form or do people get asked to do the job?

I thought it was on an 'ask basis' ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie
    Is there a taxi application form or do people get asked to do the job?

I thought it was on an 'ask basis' ???
    I've never seen the application forms, but heard some people mention them.... And I've now been a taxi twice!

I certainly never applied to become a taxi dancer, but was asked both times.....

A Taxing (or should that be Trying?) Little Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by JoC
    That's not the gentleman I had to mention the other night because I soooo enjoyed dancing with is it? If so, praise be to anyone , teachers and taxis who encourage such men
    That'll be the one! Fab, isn't he???

Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles
    ... would you?
    No.
    My memory for names and faces isn't up to the challenge.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Sounds good to me, but then I love helping people to learn and I love dancing, so sharing that passion and helping people learn at the same time would appeal to me. No options for that here, as yet...
    That's why I've been doing it for 3 and a half years now! Love it!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    I am nowhere near good enough to taxi - but really love to "pay forward" all the help I've had by helping complete newbies in the beginners class on the very occasional occasion that I actually feel I can give some worthy advice.

But I wouldn't want to be on duty to do that - a) I'm far too irresponsible and b) I hate T-shirts with sleeves, the sleeves would have to go
    I personally don't think you have to be a good dancer, afterall, you're only doing the beginner's moves, and rarely in time to the music! What you do need is the desire to want to help people, you need to be friendly, approachable, patient, and able to communicate with people, and have the ability to make everyone feel good about their own personal acheivements.

Of course dancing ability is important, but not at a high level, if you can think through all the points of a beginner's move, lead them all, and perhaps the odd simple intermediate move to throw in when someone following is doing well, that's fine.

I personally also think that its important for either sex to be able to lead or follow. As a guy, you may not be freestyling with the guys, but in the review class it can be useful to step in and walk through the move with both partners, to see where something is going wrong.

Thread Information