Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V&L - Dance gods, or just gods??

The Forum Legend

V&L - Dance gods, or just gods??

Okie, I thought it was time I was controversial.....

Question:

Everyone raves about Viktor and Lydia. If he was bald, fat and overweight, and she was plump with spots and bad hair, do you think that they would get quite so many rave reviews, even if they danced exactly the same way.

They are undoubtably great dancers, but does the fact that he's muscled and fit, with a great smile, and she's gorgeous, fit, with a great smile and that hair add to their legend. Or would they be the same if they were just normal human beings??

Jealous? Hell yes, of course I'm jealous!!

Steve

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: V&L - Dance gods, or just gods??

Originally posted by Gus
    PLease Delete
    Please delete what ? did you change your mind about something controversial or are you talking to theTramp ?

Anyway, dancing well and looking good has nothing at all to do with body shape, looks or anything other than style, musical interpretation and ability. Why I even saw this guy once who was a simply superb dancer even though he looked like an American football linebacker, wore a green zoot suit and glasses. He was probably born in Wales (Im a good judge).

Confirmed Forum Plant Basil Brush (Forum Plant)'s Avatar

Re: V&L - Dance gods, or just gods??

Originally posted by TheTramp
    If he was bald, fat and overweight, and she was plump with spots and bad hair, do you think that they would get quite so many rave reviews, even if they danced exactly the same way.
    No. I think it's about the 'look' as well as the style....

I saw that guy in the green zoot suit as well - who WAS that?

Re: Re: Re: V&L - Dance gods, or just gods??

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Please delete what ? did you change your mind about something controversial or are you talking to theTramp ?
    Fraid I was not asking for our plump Green garnished friend to be deleted ..... I had merely reflected on my post (which gave an example of great dancers who may not have been gifted with adonis like features). I made the wise choice that calling someone an 'ugly git' on the forum was possibly not the best way to make friends and influence people ... so I withdrew my post.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    No thats quite OK. I AM an ugly git after all

Honestly?

To be compleeeetely honest,

yes, the "look" can be part of the dance. Watching an awesome dance partnership is a thing of beauty, and you get an edge in a partnership from every ounce of beauty you can bring to it. It's the reason that competitors in Ballroom Internationals have numerous costumes for each style; and I've been told that each ladies Waltz outfit can have a replacement value in the region of 500 pounds / US$750 / AU$1500. At that level, you want to be as stunning as money can (and can't) buy.

If you're born with "The Look," so much the better for you; I just wish I had a little more of it.

The disclaimer: being beautiful doesn't make you a better dance partner, though. My favourite dance partner isn't a covergirl, but on the dancefloor, she gets my heart racing like nobody else can.

Live passionately,

The look

Don't try and tell me the look is unimportant.

I have performed my own personal experiment at Ceroc... What I am wearing has an enormous impact on my evening dancing.

Admittedly it was at one of the more harsh London venues (the same place I used to see V&L), where I have found that if you show a bit of skin in a fashionable outfit your chances of getting a dance are mutliplied tremendously. It's also the only thing that has brought compliments from the teachers of the class.

You'd think that the guys could maybe remember the fun you had with them and your dancing skill and ask for a dance the following week also, but unless the 'look' is there too, it just isn't the same (or as enjoyable). Many guys just don't ask unless you qualify as attractive. And if it was only the guys who didn't care about dancing that applied to I'd understand, but it relates to the good dancers too.

On the original question - I agree that someone with a less than svelt figure can look good dancing, but it's got to be harder for them just in the loss of flexibility alone.

(BTW the ballroom dresses are actually worth much MUCH more than £500 )

The Forum Legend
    I agree that someone with a less than svelt figure can look good dancing, but it's got to be harder for them just in the loss of flexibility alone.
    Ummmm..... Bigger people have less flexibility?? Not sure that I can agree with this one.

Steve

On re-reading my reply several times, I feel a little bit harsh...

I have many friends I have great fun and dancing with at that venue now, whatever I wear.

I'm just jealous/mad that some of the other good dancers there don't know I exist until they can see my legs...

Ummmm..... Bigger people have less flexibility?? Not sure that I can agree with this one.
    OK, maybe I just can't see their hips moving in isolation or the range of movement in their back...

The Forum Legend
    Now, now Debs. There's no need to be fattist!!

You wanna pick any skinny person you like, and I'll compete against them in the flexibility stakes, and also in the hip wiggle stakes too

Steve

PS. I think you've got great legs

My legs thank you Steve for your appreciation

And I'm not saying you couldn't beat the butts off anyone, and you know I really enjoy dancing with you too!!

But I am sure people like us who are not blessed with perfect bodies have to work harder to do as well as V&L to look good on the dancefloor (Even if we could dance as well!).

The Forum Legend
    and you know I really enjoy dancing with you too!!
    So, when am I going to get to see you for a dance then??

Are you coming to Bognor this year?

Steve

Hi Debs

Long time no see. Happy New Year!!!

Just for the record, you do know that I would dance with you even if you were wearing an Nuclear protective anti-radiation suit.

Will, I am so tempted to try that out...

Anyone know where I could get a Nuclear protective anti-radiation suit? Preferably in black with some sparkles

D

The Forum Legend
    Debs....

I've got one right here. I'll bring it along to the next dance.....

Are you coming to Bognor this year??

Steve

B.T.C.
    I don't doubt that the way V&L looks adds to their overall appeal and the visual impact they make but I reckon even if they weren't as good looking as they are they would still be seen as great dancers.

Being a very good dancer can also make someone appear to be more attractive to others. On the other hand a good looking dancer who can't dance very well might still get a few dances but wouldn't have the same appeal for many men/women.

This has been touched on before on several threads but as for what you wear I think that a dancer might stand out - whether they are good or bad - depending on what they are wearing and it's not necessarily a decision based on attractiveness. So many dancers at Ceroc classes wear black that people can almost blend in so if a woman wears a bright colour and a dress she might be noticed more.

When I look around for someone to dance with the most important criteria is whether the woman is smiling ( and therefore might say yes !!) If a woman looks very tired - or has just come off the floor I might not ask as she may want a rest and if she isn't smiling I might pass by. There isn't that much time to dance during a normal class night but at a party where you might not know some of the dancers it's a case of asking and hoping she says yes.

A smile is much more important to me - and I'm sure many other dancers than a colourful or 'revealing' outfit.

And yes V&L are wonderful.

Confirmed Forum Plant Siobhan (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    I think that looking the part makes you feel better about yourself and often dance with more confidence. But truly amazing dancers always look great- but can look even better if they are gorgeous too in my opinion.

Victor and Lydia are nice, but I have seen better.

Originally posted by Siobhan

Victor and Lydia are nice, but I have seen better.
    Interesting comment .... V&L have been fairly dominant in the UK for some time and I've always wondered when who would be the next 'New Thing'. I've heard great things about Robert Cordobo ... but never seen him ... also heard good things about Adam Nathanson ... but also sadly have yet to see for myself..... who would you suggest is 'better' .... keen to see.

The Forum Legend
    Robert Cordoba is amazing to watch (with Debra (and I'm not even going to attempt to spell her surname)). V&L, good though they are, aren't even a patch. However, I don't think they count as either the Next great thing - I think they've been around together for quite some time. The main reason that you don't hear about them much, is because they are based in the States. They are also WCS, rather than jive.

Anyone booking them to teach in the UK though is guarenteed one person at least at the class. And I can't remember the last time I paid to do a class!

Adam is an extremely good teacher - I'd put him right up there with any other UK teachers (interestingly enough, he was originally turned down 5 times to be a ceroc teacher!!)

Steve

Thread Information