View Poll Results: I would prefer that Forum 'policy' on photographs of members be:

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • People *must* be asked *before* photos of them are posted

4 10.00%
  • Photos can be posted but *must* be removed if anyone in them objects

21 52.50%
  • Whether to remove photos remains at the poster's discretion

1 2.50%
  • Don't even bother asking to have them removed.

8 20.00%
  • No one ever takes pictures of me anyway.

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum photos: policy poll

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Forum photos: policy poll

IN response to a recent thread about the posting of photos with or without permission.

Re: Forum photos: policy poll

Having voted "people must be asked" (obviously), I'd just like to point out that this only applies where the people are the 'main subject' of the photo.

As Piglet has very reasonably pointed out on the other thread it would be impossible to ask everyone in the background - or everyone in an 'audience' shot.

I'd say "Photos can be posted but *may* be removed if anyone in them objects, at the moderators' discretion."
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I'd say "Photos can be posted but *may* be removed if anyone in them objects, at the moderators' discretion."
    Do you want to burden the moderators with the thankless task of arbitrating between a photographer and their unwilling subject? ("I look silly in that picture" - "No you don't, it's a great picture!" - "MODERATOR!!")

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    Do you want to burden the moderators with the thankless task of arbitrating between a photographer and their unwilling subject? ("I look silly in that picture" - "No you don't, it's a great picture!" - "MODERATOR!!")
    I wouldn't expect moderators or myself to make qualitative judgements. If anyone is unhappy about their photo being on the Forum (and that could be for many reasons as well as privacy) then I would remove the photograph, or if easily achieved, crop it to remove the person involved.

So, to answer from my perspective, please post photos, we love to see them, but check with the (main) subjects if they are happy to appear publically.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    ... but check with the (main) subjects if they are happy to appear publically.
    That'll be a whole morning to be spent PM'ing people for Danielle.

What about photos where you don't know who the subject is? Or if they don't reply?

And to draw a distinction as to whether someone is a (main) subject or "in the background" is a nonsense. If you grant me the right to veto a photo of me on the Forum (or demand that my permission be sought first) it should apply to any and all photos in which I'm recognisable. (..."You're in the background" - "Oh no I'm not" - "oh yes you are"... "MODERATOR!!!")
    Last edited by El Salsero Gringo; 22nd-September-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That'll be a whole morning to be spent PM'ing people for Danielle.

What about photos where you don't know who the subject is? Or if they don't reply?

Or if someone in the background objects? What difference if they're the subject or not, since the same "many reasons other than privacy" apply.
    No extra work for Danielle as she is hosting the photos on another site (ie not the forum). I'm only talking about posting photos on this site.

As I said in my post, you don't need to check first, especially if you don't know who they are or can't get a reply, but if a subject complains the photo will be edited / removed.

I have no interest in preventing people taking / sharing photos.

As for privacy, I guess I didn't phrase my meaning very well. Most reasons would be about privacy, though some people might have other issues and I feel no need to argue with them over it.

edited to take edit in considerationThe main subject thing was just a courtesy before posting a photo. It seems to me courteous to make sure your friends are happy to have their photo posted publically.

To clarify once more: Anyone who doesn't wish to appear in a photograph on the Forum can ask to be removed. Asking prior to posting is only courtesy.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

I can understand if someone was the only person in a photo and asking permission for that to be posted. Thats how I voted . HOWEVER

Where they are one of 2 ,3 or 5 or more people that becomes silly

I have had to delete some lovely pics , and will not post any more because a certain individual took offence to it (even if they were one of 5 faces etc)

Ive had some horrendous pics of me posted and i dont care, when people meet me they will realise i look a lot nicer in the flesh.

If you need to ask permission of the whole group in a pic it becomes silly

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi
    I think the subject of the photo should be asked first, if it gets posted, they object, then it gets removed, its too late! Everybody would have seen it already. There may be a very good reason why they wouldn't want everybody to see it.

Danielle was an official photographer - so I presume that people who had shots taken by her *knew* that they would be publicly posted and by having their photo taken, agreed to this.

The photos of me were taken by a friend, who has already displayed caution about posting pictures of other people on this site without their permission. Apparently, however, those scruples did not apply to the photos taken this weekend. If I had known they were going to be posted, I would not have been willing to have them taken.

I think Franck's answer is perfectly clear. I complained, the photos were removed. Thanks Franck (and Lory, who did the actual deed).

Quote Originally Posted by Franck
    No extra work for Danielle as she is hosting the photos on another site (ie not the forum). I'm only talking about posting photos on this site.
    So, if anyone has pics of naked NewKid, or LMC on LSD, post 'em on geocities and drop us a link here.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    Danielle was an official photographer - so I presume that people who had shots taken by her *knew* that they would be publicly posted and by having their photo taken, agreed to this.

The photos of me were taken by a friend, who has already displayed caution about posting pictures of other people on this site without their permission. Apparently, however, those scruples did not apply to the photos taken this weekend. If I had known they were going to be posted, I would not have been willing to have them taken.

I think Franck's answer is perfectly clear. I complained, the photos were removed. Thanks Franck (and Lory, who did the actual deed).
    And there was I, thinking we were looking for "Thoughts please? - on a general policy rather than this specific incident."

And there was I, thinking we were looking for "Thoughts please? - on a general policy rather than this specific incident."
    That was the other thread

I think i understand now no one should post any photos ever again with out getting the permission of everyone and i mean everyone in that photo (did anyone get the bar tenders name ill need to write her a letter as she is in a back shot)

see below pics of southport 2006

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    I think i understand now no one should post any photos ever again with out getting the permission of everyone and i mean everyone in that photo (did anyone get the bar tenders name ill need to write her a letter as she is in a back shot)

see below pics of southport 2006
    How about you *both* leave your personal issues at the login page?

No, but ultimately it will come down to the moderator when the original poster is no longer able to edit their post.

I think Franck's guidelines are pretty much just common sense...

That said, I've posted group photos here before without getting anyone's permission, and I figure Ill probably do so again. I am unlikely to publish an individual's photo here without their permission, but I may choose to do so on my own web site.

Oh, I posted a picture of a couple taken during the Scottish Ceroc Comps without seeking permission, but at they are almost unrecognisable, I didn't think they'd mind.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Does the photographer ask permission to take a picture?

My opinion is that if i wish post a picture in a non malicious manner, i can do so, as they are my picture from my camera. If an individual sees them and wants them removed it should tkaen up with the controllers of the site.

If the picture is malicious, then the person posting them should be publicly shamed!!

Lee
    Last edited by Lee; 22nd-September-2005 at 01:18 PM.

I can understand this if someones photo appeared in a publication, but on a forum like this I cannot see what the problem is. Surely its flattering if someone posts a picture of you?

What I have found so far (short time on here) everyone wants to meet other forumites its like a family / community, with all the bickering , debates and opinions that go on but generally the majority of people are interested in is having a good time and being the best they can to themselves and others around them. Maybe I am just naive.

*think i have just left myself open to people posting hideous pics of me* but who cares lifes to short, if you cant laugh at yourself then there is no hope for you.

Anyone else want this soapbox?

Quote Originally Posted by wittybird
    I can understand this if someones photo appeared in a publication, but on a forum like this I cannot see what the problem is. Surely its flattering if someone posts a picture of you?

What I have found so far (short time on here) everyone wants to meet other forumites its like a family / community, with all the bickering , debates and opinions that go on but generally the majority of people are interested in is having a good time and being the best they can to themselves and others around them. Maybe I am just naive.

*think i have just left myself open to people posting hideous pics of me* but who cares lifes to short, if you cant laugh at yourself then there is no hope for you.
    Anyone else want this soapbox?
    what is the problem or what was the problem with the photos (exception THAT photo of Andy McG)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I think Franck has made it quite clear enough. POST ALL YOUR PHOTOS

Then if and only IF anyone feels they don't want THEIR photographed image posted it will be removed.

Shall we move on now please!

Thread Information