Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum: good or bad for beginners?

linny lou!

Re: Forum: good or bad for beginners?

Ive only been to Ceroc once so far and notice my mum on the forum so decided to join myself the other day.So far I would say its a good thing for a beginner like myself as its a good way of meeting people who have just started Ceroc or dancers who have alot of experience.I've also found everyone very welcoming and helpful!so keep up the good work!
    p.s i love the random posts too!

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

I found the forum useful initially for advice on technique and for realising that others had experienced the same issues I was facing as I tried to improve my dancing.

I have found this forum very useful and I first started using it when I had done about 15 lessons. I did find that there was overload of information, jargony type terms etc, but then I looked at how long some people have been doing ceroc and I understood. If I seriously thought that I was on the same level as someone who has been doing it for 10 years then I think it would be my problem.

When I started browsing through the forum though it was quite alarming to hear how many different issues people had with other dancers. I couldn’t help thinking that I must be some sort of nightmare dancer! I think that I did have a spell being a bouncer as I found it useful to mark the beat. However, I think that this had largely stopped by the time I started on the forum and hopefully it doesn’t happen at all now. The nicknames for different dancers as well worried me a bit, although these appear to be good-natured.

However, the things that you can really learn from are those where you already doing something wrong so learning that you are doing something wrong is not a bad thing. A new beginner might be put off though as they may feel that they are doing everything wrong. They may expect this to some extent but learning they are doing lots of things wrong might lead them to think that there is too much for them to learn.

In a similar way, I would also suggest that reading this forum might put off someone who is thinking about starting as there would be so much to take on board. But then I would dissuade anyone from looking at a forum about something they don’t know anything about as people are always going to be talking about things that go way over their head. I think that, at least for a man, the right stage is when they are fairly new to being an intermediate. This is where (IMO) you can feel a bit lost as you take a step up, are taught new moves but don’t (in my case) have the ability to use them in freestyle without the whole move breaking down. This is ok for the first few lessons but after a while it makes you think that you are not getting anywhere.

I know that people say that the best feedback comes from asking people you have danced with. However, it is awkward and a bit embarrassing to ask someone after you have finished dancing with them. If i quizzed someone then they might assume that I was really worried about something, and if there was nothing major, then they may want to reassure me by saying I was doing fine, etc. Or, if things went really badly, then they might want to just run off. So it is difficult to know what someone truly thought. Maybe I should take along a survey, was my timing, a) very good, b) good, c) adequate, d) poor, e) you were actually trying to keep time? The relative anonymity of the forum makes it much easier to learn about what is bad as I know that things are not being directed at me personally (yet! ).

Several things that I have read in this forum have reminded me of occasions when something went a bit wrong but I was not sure what, and I carried on with the dance putting it to the back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I felt like I needed a standard disclaimer on my posts - "just a beginner, wrong about everything, don't listen to me, listen to the clever guy who will post next."
    Yeah, i feel like this. I also can't help thinking that there are lurkers out there who will recognise me and be thinking, 'you're complete rubbish, just give it up, you don't know anything.'

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

However I have never tried to push the forum to others at my regular venue as I believe that anybody who is likely to want to use an Internet discussion group about Ceroc really should have no trouble finding it.
    I have mentioned it in passing to someone that i know quite well. I generally worry that there might be various stereotypes flying around about internet forum users so i wouldn't mention it to people who i didn't really know.

I did actually come across this forum in my early days (after just 2 or 3 lessons) while doing an internet search on ceroc. However, I thought it was just one for Scottish people and the subject that came up was not that interesting so I didn’t do anything after clicking on the link. I guess if i had really been that keen then i would have had a better look though.

In short, a good forum

I am relatively new to both dancing and the forum and have to admit I have found it to be useful and entertaining. I found it particularly useful (in beginners corner) to compare my progress (or lack of!) with the experiences of other learners. The number of times I have found myself saying "I thought I was the only one who thought/did that!" Sometimes it's much easier to have a virtual chat rather than face to face, especially when you may make a prat of yourself. I do dabble in some of the other sections, but at the moment it's mostly trying to pick up as many tips as possible.

However it would also be nice to find out which forumites participate (nearly said dance there, but then I remembered how rubbish I am!) at the same venue and perhaps break in to real conversation.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by the whale View Post
    However it would also be nice to find out which forumites participate (nearly said dance there, but then I remembered how rubbish I am!) at the same venue and perhaps break in to real conversation.

D.
    Oh that's easy.....you become a forum bore like the rest of us and ask practically everyone you dance with "are you on the forum?"

Failing that...you need to meet Witty Bird....She knows everyone and will have you mingling like a goodun in 5 minutes flat.

DT

Not good enough to dance with anyone yet! Far less dance AND talk at the same time!?!

D

DT

Not good enough to dance with anyone yet! Far less dance AND talk at the same time!?!

D
    Rubbish...! If you know 4 moves you can dance all night...with anyone..!

I have been dancing (If you can call it that) for 3 years and I still cant talk while dancing.

DT

Does that mean you stop dancing lots, or do you only talk on the forum?

sorry couldn't resist!

D

Does that mean you stop dancing lots, or do you only talk on the forum?
    You can go off people you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I have been dancing (If you can call it that) for 3 years and I still cant talk while dancing.
    Now you know why people ask you to dance so much.

Gav runs and hides

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Now you know why people ask you to dance so much.

Gav runs and hides
    I wouldn't like to be in your shoes at the moment You're in soooo much trouble

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    You're in trouble
    He'd better not be...I'll kill him.

Failing that...you need to meet Witty Bird....She knows everyone and will have you mingling like a goodun in 5 minutes flat.
    Oh those where the days

He'd better not be...I'll kill him.
    Hence why I said trouble rather than Trouble because otherwise I knew there'd be trouble, or rather double trouble.... oh god this is getting far too confusing

Care to comment Gav?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Care to comment Gav?
    He can't. I've killed him and buried him under the patio (Brookside stylee)

Blog Entries

He can't. I've killed him and buried him under the patio (Brookside stylee)
    You DIY skills aren't up to much are they hun? I'm baaaaaack (sean of the dead stylee).

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

The Forum is a tad intimidating at first.. there's so many people, nobody uses their proper name so you have NO IDEA who they are (just think of the trouble that could get you into - note trouble with a small t not a Capital T - just in case Gav gets into more Trouble sorry.... trouble!)

But.. it's really friendly and you don't get shot down in flames too often - and it's done in a witty way!! It's been really helpful for me. I can't dance right now because I'm rehearsing for a Show and rehearsals are on 3 nights a week. It's been like that for almost 8 weeks now and I'd really have missed my connection with Ceroc if it hadn't been for the Forum.

Also, it's helped with my dancing. I've always found the "which leg"thing a bit of a problem and the forum has helped me sort it out. Also the tips on spinning and so on. I've had good advice on children's vaccinations - support when my husband didn't turn up with a wedding anniversary present - advice on what to do when he did turn up with a present...

The Forum is part of my recreation... I love the time I spend on here and would recommend it to anyone.. beginner or otherwise!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    nobody uses their proper name so you have NO IDEA who they are (just think of the trouble that could get you into - note trouble with a small t not a Capital T - just in case Gav gets into more Trouble sorry.... trouble!)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    The Forum is a tad intimidating at first.. there's so many people, nobody uses their proper name so you have NO IDEA who they are
    Ahem... I suspect some of us would disagree with you on that, for example Andy McGregor, Marc Forster, Franck, etc.

Of course those names could themselves be aliases (I always thought "Franck? Who's called 'Franck'? That's gotta be a made-up name...")

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ahem... I suspect some of us would disagree with you on that, for example Andy McGregor, Marc Forster, Franck, etc.

Of course those names could themselves be aliases (I always thought "Franck? Who's called 'Franck'? That's gotta be a made-up name...")
    Very true, i have often wondered why someone wondered why someone would want to associate themselves with an error-prone goalkeeper. Maybe they are well-known for dropping women during aerials, drops, etc?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Very true, i have often wondered why someone wondered why someone would want to associate themselves with an error-prone goalkeeper. Maybe they are well-known for dropping women during aerials, drops, etc?
    See here for an explanation (ooh, my second ever post, how time flies...)

Thread Information