Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Following a lead!!

linny lou!

Following a lead!!

hello peoples!
    well i went to the Edinburgh class last night and had a great time!Thank you to everybody that i danced with and made the night so enjoyable!I just wanted to ask a bit of advice on following a lead.I found that often I missed a lead into a few moves,ne advice?
    fankooooooooo

The Forum Legend

Re: Following a lead!!

Keep practising.

Very few people are perfect on their first night...!

Glad you enjoyed it - welcome to the dark side

My advice would be to ask a taxi or one of the experienced guys on here about this - because they will be able to "feel" what might be going wrong for you.

Sorry, that's not very helpful! - but if you can give a bit more detail on what you think is going wrong, maybe we can help on forum as well? - for instance, is it that you're expecting one thing to happen and something else that happens instead, or is it that you can't "feel" which direction the lead wants you to go - or something else?

Some of the older threads in this section might be useful too

linny lou!

on the whole i managed to follow most of the leads because I used to dance b4 but yeh my problem was sometimes i didnt know where they wanted me to go

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by linny lou!
    on the whole i managed to follow most of the leads because I used to dance b4 but yeh my problem was sometimes i didnt know where they wanted me to go
    You really need to ask someone you've actually danced with. The only way to know what is really going wrong in lead and follow is to feel it, I really can't see that anyone could really help on this forum. Ask one of the taxi dancers to help, that's what they're there for.

And, as Trampy said, you really can't expect to get it on your first night, even if you have danced before. All dance styles are different, even down to how you lead and follow, so don't beat yourself up for not getting it immediately, it will happen soon enough.

linny lou!

yeh i know i cant expext to get it straight away, i was just wondering if theres certain things you can do in Ceroc that might help in following a lead

All we would really be able to give on here would be general advice - some of which might be confusing, or which you might already have "got" if you've danced before - and there's too much to take in when you're a beginner as it is!

If you felt like you were following most things, you're doing well, so try not to worry, just enjoy!

linny lou!

okay dokey,fankoooo!

The Forum Legend

yeh i know i cant expext to get it straight away, i was just wondering if theres certain things you can do in Ceroc that might help in following a lead
    Follow people that can actually lead??

linny lou!

lol! meeeoow!

The Forum Legend

lol! meeeoow!
    It was just a thought!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp
    Follow people that can actually lead??
    he he

Trampy has a point - if I can follow a move with one guy, but not another, then I figure it can't *all* be me...

linny lou!

good leaders will have to start wearing signs wen they see me coming then lol!

The Forum Legend

I'm just a beginner...

linny lou!

teehee meee tooooo! u been here b4?!

From what I recalled you could have had a little more tension in your arms it would be easier to draw you into moves. I don't have any compliant though for a second (?) timer you followed excellently. Most of the time I'd had despaired over someone joining the intermediate class so soon (says the guy who did it on his 5th lesson) but you coped really well .

If you want feedback from me just say at the start of the dance and I'll pay more attention to what you are doing and provide feedback if you like. If you just want a social dance though then I'd be happy to do that as well.

Tension:

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=7097

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5487 ( )

But there's still no substitute for "doing it" - and getting some advice from a taxi. Make the most of 'em while you're still in your first few weeks

I'm sure killingtime, as well as many other Edinburgh bods, know a few exercises that might help.

I've got to say I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about these things, and keen to learn. I'm sure you'll be a fab dancer in next to no time.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

linny lou!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime
    From what I recalled you could have had a little more tension in your arms it would be easier to draw you into moves. I don't have any compliant though for a second (?) timer you followed excellently. Most of the time I'd had despaired over someone joining the intermediate class so soon (says the guy who did it on his 5th lesson) but you coped really well .
    aww thank you!
    If you want feedback from me just say at the start of the dance and I'll pay more attention to what you are doing and provide feedback if you like. If you just want a social dance though then I'd be happy to do that as well.
    yeh that would be brilliant!

TiggsTours

OK then, general advice:

1. Relax.
    2. Keep a small amount of tension in your arm, but not so much that you're fighting the lead.
    3. Relax.
    4. Never fully straighten your arm.
    5. Relax.
    6. Don't use your thumb, ever!
    7. Relax.
    8. Don't try to pre-empt moves.
    9. Relax.
    10. If you get a flat hand, it generally indicates a spin, give a little extra pressure against it, to give the spin more momentum.
    11. Relax.
    12. Don't ever learn a move, you never know what's coming. You need to learn to follow the move, he's led me towards him, I step forward, he's turned me out to his side, I turn, he's turned me back, I turn back, he's turned me under his arm, clockwise, I turn, he's returned me anti-clockwise, I return. This is a first move, don't learn the first move, learn how each stage actually feels.

oh, and in case I didn't mention it before, RELAX!!!

Thread Information