Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dancing & Leading with One Arm

Dancing & Leading with One Arm

A couple of weeks ago i dislocated my right shoulder (stupid but also very spectacular skiing accident) and i am now wearing a brace.

I tried dancing with some friends on holiday but all i could manage was the blues shuffle (up close and personal, with feet in between each others). Even that was a bit of a problem as we couldn't stand in the usual position where our right feet were in between the others (looking over our partners right shoulder). Instead, we had to change positions so we were looking over each others left shoulders. Apart from the "problem" were my braced right hand was constantly dangerously close to my partners breasts all the time (they didn't seem to mind), it felt really wierd for a while but then seemed normal.

Anyway, yesterday i went dancing for the first time and attempted a couple of dances, still ONLY using my left arm! Wow - i managed a very decent MJ, an even more decent cha-cha and a pretty good WCS but i had to do pay a lot more thought to my arm & body positioning and tension to help with my leading.

Has anybody else ever had to (or even just tried) leading or even just dancing using just one hand? If not, try it - it is amazing what you learn about your own dancing. Obviously, i couldn't do any right-handed or double-handed moves but this didn't seem to affect the dances.

LEADS TRY THIS - Try doing a first move WITHOUT using your right hand!! It is possible!

Re: Dancing & Leading with One Arm

Quote Originally Posted by Asif
    LEADS TRY THIS - Try doing a first move WITHOUT using your right hand!! It is possible!
    Ha, piece of cake....

What is much more interesting is dancing with a lady that cannot use her right arm.

(really sorry to hear about your injury though... )

Donna

Well, I have danced with a man who ONLY had ONE arm, so, if he can do it, so can anybody. Takes some getting used to though I'd imagine.
    Have to say it was different.

I know what you mean about learning alot more. I tried doing some WCS on one foot last year when I injured my ankle. Plus in the last couple of months I have danced with two seperate women who had shoulder injuries. One of those ladies had surgery recently and I was even more aware of staying away from her shoulder area. I ended up using her hip more to put her into prep for a turn.

Get well soon Asif. Living with an injury is not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Ha, piece of cake....

What is much more interesting is dancing with a lady that cannot use her right arm.

(really sorry to hear about your injury though... )
    Damnit, bet me to it.

Don't know what I'd be like on one foot though

Quote Originally Posted by Asif
    Has anybody else ever had to (or even just tried) leading or even just dancing using just one hand? If not, try it - it is amazing what you learn about your own dancing. Obviously, i couldn't do any right-handed or double-handed moves but this didn't seem to affect the dances.
    Ive tried only offering the one hand (left and right) during a dance, at first this confused my partner (someone ive danced with a lot) but after a few seconds things calmed down and had some really good dances! He then tried the same on me, he found he had to be a little more creative with his lead inventing variations and we some more really good dances.
    Dancing with only my left hand/arm has enabled me to connect with it much better than before and in turn it has strengthened. Id definitely recommend it!

Wishing you a speedy recovery Asif!

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Ive tried only offering the one hand (left and right) during a dance, at first this confused my partner (someone ive danced with a lot) but after a few seconds things calmed down and had some really good dances! He then tried the same on me, he found he had to be a little more creative with his lead inventing variations and we some more really good dances.
    Dancing with only my left hand/arm has enabled me to connect with it much better than before and in turn it has strengthened. Id definitely recommend it!
    I know what you mean. I've known a few guys who have in the past led me by my left hand, it feels quite alien, but it teaches you an awful lot about following, and really helps you to improve your following technique with the right hand. I don't really know any guys who do that anymore, shame, I used to enjoy the challenge.

Donna

I'll tell you what WILL improve your following technique. Dance with David B if you get a chance!! He does this thing where you dance with your palms facing but not actually touching. It also helps the man to lead and to focus more on where the lady is being positioned and also helps the female focus more on her partner. It's great stuff and it's great fun! Try it!

Food for thought; How would you lead a lady

Who can only use her left arm
    Who can only use her right arm
    Can't lift her arms above shoulder height
    Can't do more than a 180 turn
    So that she's always facing you
    If you can only use your left arm
    If you can only use your right arm
    If she's got an injured foot
    If she's drunk / tipsy / dizzy
    If you're on unstable ground
    If you're on hard ground eg busking
    If she's in heels
    If she's in trainers
    If she's got long loose hair
    If she's nervous

But then I think too much (I've done all the above though)

Take care,
    Christopher

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I'll tell you what WILL improve your following technique. Dance with David B if you get a chance!! He does this thing where you dance with your palms facing but not actually touching. It also helps the man to lead and to focus more on where the lady is being positioned and also helps the female focus more on her partner. It's great stuff and it's great fun! Try it!
    Never done that with David B, but I've done it with a few other people, that's always a fun challenge too.

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you're not in too much pain now. Sounds like you've had some interesting dance experiences as I did when I had my left arm in plaster. It's amazing how an injury affects every movement of your body, including your balance. Get well soon and I'll look forward to seeing you in action.

Love, Kate

The Forum Legend

I once danced for an hour with a broken wrist at the Casbah (slipped and fell on some water on the first dance of the evening, found out later I'd broken it). That was mostly right handed moves for the hour.

I've also danced with Petal when she had a problem with her right arm, just doing left handed moves for several dances.

Both times, I've quite enjoyed the challenge. Although, not the pain on the wrist one...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget
    Don't know what I'd be like on one foot though
    I was thinking about this a while back. Does anyone know anyone who dances Ceroc in a wheelchair, or is completely blind etc?

Take care,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    I was thinking about this a while back. Does anyone know anyone who dances Ceroc in a wheelchair, or is completely blind etc?

Take care,
    Christopher
    Yes there is a gentleman that dances in a wheelchair, often I see him dancing at Ealing, Hammersmith & Oxford...but dont know his name...maybe someone could help out with his name??

Donna

Take care,
    Christopher
    Now there's an idea! Wheechair ceroc!

Quote Originally Posted by senorita
    Yes there is a gentleman that dances in a wheelchair, often I see him dancing at Ealing, Hammersmith & Oxford...but dont know his name...maybe someone could help out with his name??
    I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember ). He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!

Take care,
    Christopher
    Serious Reply
    I once saw a guy years ago, i think it may have been Letchworth, wearing dark glasses when he was dancing and my friend told me this guy was blind. I watched his dancing and was very impressed. His range of moves were limited (as i suppose they would be) but he looked like he had complete control and his partner was enjoying herself too. I often get beginners to close their eyes when i am teaching them to dance and it helps a lot.

Jokey Reply
    I saw a blind guy dancing but the guide dog kept getting in the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddy Tat
    Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you're not in too much pain now. Sounds like you've had some interesting dance experiences as I did when I had my left arm in plaster. It's amazing how an injury affects every movement of your body, including your balance. Get well soon and I'll look forward to seeing you in action.

Love, Kate
    Thanks hun. Pains pretty much gone but it's just very uncomfortable now. I'm now at the stage of creataing pain as i've got to start exercising and strengthening my muscles again.

If you fancy a gentle (close!) dance with me, then i'll come out to play

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember ). He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!

Fred

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I should know but don't remember (I'm so bad with names - bizarrely I find Forum ID's easier to remember ).
    Fred, I believe, according to Clive? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was at Chiswick for the recent Swinging the Blues thing.

He's very good though - very original with ways to make seemingly impossible things work, but discerning enough to know that certain moves are too uncomfortable - and a lovely guy as well!
    Plus, he had some really cool flashing lights on the bottom of the wheelchair.

EDIT: darn, too slow

Thread Information