Thread: New approach to Swarovski costumes...

New approach to Swarovski costumes...

Someone's come up with the idea of sticking a million crystals on a model, and auctioning off each stone to be removed:

http://www.millioncrystalbody.com/

[Swarovski Geek Mode]
    Surface area of skin for average human is ~1.8m^2 = 1,800,000 mm^2. Which means the crystals will average < 1.5 mm a side (probably < 1mm given practicalities of sticking them). The smallest SS I've found is SS5 at 1.8mm a side (~3mm^2). For comparison, most dance costumes are SS16 or SS20 (~20mm^2) - I've used SS12 and they are pretty darn small!
    [/Geek Mode]

Donna

Re: New approach to Swarovski costumes...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin
    Someone's come up with the idea of sticking a million crystals on a model, and auctioning off each stone to be removed:

[Swarovski Geek Mode]
    Surface area of skin for average human is ~1.8m^2 = 1,800,000 mm^2. Which means the crystals will average < 1.5 mm a side (probably < 1mm given practicalities of sticking them). The smallest SS I've found is SS5 at 1.8mm a side (~3mm^2). For comparison, most dance costumes are SS16 or SS20 (~20mm^2) - I've used SS12 and they are pretty darn small!
    [/Geek Mode]

Hmmm it certainly has given me an idea for my next dance costume!!! Mind you, not a good idea if it means they will end up falling off bit by bit... if you know what I mean. Could always superglue them on the skin I suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    Hmmm it certainly has given me an idea for my next dance costume!!! Mind you, not a good idea if it means they will end up falling off bit by bit... if you know what I mean. Could always superglue them on the skin I suppose!
    Would that not really jag/scratch/hurt the person you are dancing with though?

(OK I'm aware that many guys would argue I'm missing the point, but hey! )

Hmm, you didn't see Sparkles' avatar costume for the 2004 BFG then...

R-K

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi
    Would that not really jag/scratch/hurt the person you are dancing with though?
    Actually, crystals have relatively smooth edges, so they're not too much of a problem compared with sequins (sharp edges) or glitter (sandpaper!). And the smaller they are the less you notice them as well.

Whether they stay attached is another issue! One time I had a slight fumble during an aerial which meant my hand slid about a foot down Bryony's costume while still holding up most of her weight on it. There was a small hail like patter as many stones sheared off the costume. (Interestingly, when crystals come off a costume, it's usually the manufacturer's attachment between the foil backing and the crystal that is the problem - it is much rarer for the glue holding them to the fabric to fail).

Donna

or glitter (sandpaper!). And the smaller they are the less you notice them as well.
    Hmmm yes. I was left with a slight rash under my right arm through the glitter on my costume. In fact, the smaller the stones the more effective they are. THey catch the light better.

One time I had a slight fumble during an aerial which meant my hand slid about a foot down Bryony's costume while still holding up most of her weight on it. There was a small hail like patter as many stones sheared off the costume.
    In the middle of a comp?! I can imagine. In fact, somebody I was talking to in Hammersmith said the amount of rhinestones they brush up after is unbelievable! I did offer to help so I can keep them all so to stick them on my next costume after!

(Interestingly, when crystals come off a costume, it's usually the manufacturer's attachment between the foil backing and the crystal that is the problem - it is much rarer for the glue holding them to the fabric to fail).
    Yeah! How annoying! I'm now left with bits of foil on my costume which doesn't look too pretty. I've got loads to replace but hope they stick properly over the top.

Hmmm yes. I was left with a slight rash under my right arm through the glitter on my costume. In fact, the smaller the stones the more effective they are. THey catch the light better.
    Though there's something to be said for the appearance of SS30 as well IMHO...
    In the middle of a comp?! I can imagine.
    Nope - during a practice. Have lost a stone or two during comps but no more than that.

Yeah! How annoying! I'm now left with bits of foil on my costume which doesn't look too pretty. I've got loads to replace but hope they stick properly over the top.
    My recollection is it's usually all right as long as it's just foil. The trick to reduce the chance of this happening in the future is to use enough glue so that it overlaps the edges of the stone slightly - then your glue is also helping hold the stone to the foil. Of course, if you're using small stones it's hard to overlap the edges without getting glue all over the stone.

Donna

Nope - during a practice. Have lost a stone or two during comps but no more than that.
    I'm not surprised with all that weight lifting!

The trick to reduce the chance of this happening in the future is to use enough glue so that it overlaps the edges of the stone slightly -
    But it takes me 2 whole days just to stick them on any old how! Resulting in a bit of a stiff neck afterwards!

then your glue is also helping hold the stone to the foil. Of course, if you're using small stones it's hard to overlap the edges without getting glue all over the stone.
    Or all over your fingers!

I'm not surprised with all that weight lifting!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF
    The trick to reduce the chance of this happening in the future is to use enough glue so that it overlaps the edges of the stone slightly -
    But it takes me 2 whole days just to stick them on any old how! Resulting in a bit of a stiff neck afterwards!
    You should be applying the glue to the fabric, in which case getting the glue to overlap the edges is just a matter of using the right amount of glue. It just takes practice and a reasonably fresh bottle of glue (it's much harder with a bottle you've had lying around for months).

To make life easier, don't do one stone at a time - make 20 or so glue dots, and then put down 20 stones. Not only is it quicker, but it means the glue has time to get tacky, making it easier to stick the stones.

As far as getting glue over your fingers, you shouldn't use your fingers if you can avoid it. Get a matchstick, and drip some candle wax over the wooden end (or use beeswax if you can get it). The candle wax will stick enough to pick stones up, but not enough to compete with the fabric glue.

Glitter Queen

You should be applying the glue to the fabric, in which case getting the glue to overlap the edges is just a matter of using the right amount of glue. It just takes practice and a reasonably fresh bottle of glue (it's much harder with a bottle you've had lying around for months).

To make life easier, don't do one stone at a time - make 20 or so glue dots, and then put down 20 stones. Not only is it quicker, but it means the glue has time to get tacky, making it easier to stick the stones.

As far as getting glue over your fingers, you shouldn't use your fingers if you can avoid it. Get a matchstick, and drip some candle wax over the wooden end (or use beeswax if you can get it). The candle wax will stick enough to pick stones up, but not enough to compete with the fabric glue.
    My work here is done

linny lou!

[/Geek Mode]
    hahahaha thats ace!

Donna

It just takes practice and a reasonably fresh bottle of glue
    Hi Tack glue is the best! (It makes me high! )

That's what I started to do... after losing my patience with them. They still came off though. Wouldn't dare use super glue as it will burn through the fabric.

As far as getting glue over your fingers, you shouldn't use your fingers if you can avoid it.

I was thinking tweezers?

Get a matchstick, and drip some candle wax over the wooden end (or use beeswax if you can get it). The candle wax will stick enough to pick stones up, but not enough to compete with the fabric glue.
    Wouldn't that make the stones look dull?

Glitter Queen

Hi Tack glue is the best! (It makes me high! )

That's what I started to do... after losing my patience with them. They still came off though. Wouldn't dare use super glue as it will burn through the fabric.
    Buy a decent bottle of fabric glue from Chrisanne - it really is worth it. Just remember, when you cut the top off, to make the hole as small as possible so that you can be as accurate as possible with it when you apply it.

I was thinking tweezers?
    I tend to use tweezers, but it can be a bit of a pain when the stones 'ping' off around the room . DF's way is better - if you can be bothered melting candle wax.

Nope. The wax doesn't stay on the stones. And if you're really that worried then when they're completely dry you could always give them a rub with a dry clean cloth to really make them sparkle .

S. x

I would think the glue you're using would be OK, as it's what we use as well quite often. And we've done moves like the doughnut drop and the Dulaine (neck roll) many many times with stoned outfits, with very few stones lost. In fact, I've not replaced any stones on Bryony's most recent dress after about a year of use. I don't know what the Chrisanne glue is like, but from what I hear about their professional outfits, I'm not sure it's any better, and probably worse in terms of ability to wash the result. (The story of someone hand washing their $$$ Chrisanne outfit, and then desperately trying to find a way to dry it flat because the stones started sliding off as the glue turned to mush had me go . Whereas we just machine wash ours!).

If you're losing stones, my advice would be to use more glue; I'm guessing that you're worrying too much about whether any glue is visible - the judges and audience will be much too far away to notice. It does dry pretty close to invisible, after all.

The other thing you could try is using something like E6000 glue - by all accounts it sticks far better than HiTack or Chrisanne, but it is much harder to work with - evil fumes and very stringy.

I used maybe 20 drops of wax in sticking nearly 2000 stones on a dress for Bryony; that's not a lot of wax per stone to worry about. (And in practice, you don't lose wax on the stones; it falls off the matchstick over time). The wax trick doesn't work too well with the larger (SS30+) stones though - they're too heavy!

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King
    Hmm, you didn't see Sparkles' avatar costume for the 2004 BFG then...

R-K
    It was almost impossible to see it.

John

Donna

And we've done moves like the doughnut drop and the Dulaine (neck roll) many many times with stoned outfits, with very few stones lost.

Hmmm this move sounds interesting (pm me on how this is done? )

In fact, I've not replaced any stones on Bryony's most recent dress after about a year of use. I don't know what the Chrisanne glue is like, but from what I hear about their professional outfits, I'm not sure it's any better, and probably worse in terms of ability to wash the result.
    Well I've been advised to use HiTack glue and I'm sure Chrisanne is no different from that.

(The story of someone hand washing their $$$ Chrisanne outfit, and then desperately trying to find a way to dry it flat because the stones started sliding off as the glue turned to mush had me go . Whereas we just machine wash ours!).
    And they don't come off in the machine? I think I'm going to handwash mine just incase. At least then which ever ones do fall off I'll be able to stick on again.

If you're losing stones, my advice would be to use more glue; I'm guessing that you're worrying too much about whether any glue is visible - the judges and audience will be much too far away to notice. It does dry pretty close to invisible, after all.
    When they come off my white outfit you can't see the patches of glue where the rhinestones were.. apart from the patches of foil of course.

The other thing you could try is using something like E6000 glue - by all accounts it sticks far better than HiTack or Chrisanne, but it is much harder to work with - evil fumes and very stringy

So I'll need a mask to use the E6000 glue then? I always take the glue and some spare rhinestones with me to comps everytime I've had to use it again and again.

Hmmm this move sounds interesting (pm me on how this is done? )
    See LilyB's avatar. No way I'd try to teach it - David and Lily are the only couple I'd trust with that responsibility. The relevance to the discussion is it's also nicknamed "the neck burner", because the ladies costume makes a lot of heavy contact against the man's neck.

As for machine washing stoned costumes - I just put them in a pillowcase, tie the open end of the pillowcase in a knot, and wash on a delicate cycle. I don't think I've ever lost a stone using that method.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy
    It was almost impossible to see it.
    Glad you liked it, John - though I think it could do with a few more crystals

Thread Information