Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joining the forum/The Water thing

Re: Joining the forum/The Water thing

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    I have a feeling it is - at least in Scotland anyway. It's not legal to refuse someone tap water if they ask - so if you're in a pub or a restaurant and don't want to fork out £1.50 for half a litre of water, get half a pint of it for free. If you add ice, you can scarcely tell the difference.
    see other threads but they can charge for the glass getting you the water etc

big debate over Ashtons when they started charging 2 and six back in cira 1967 ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I've lost count of the times my drinks have beens swiped at ceroc venues, in fact, I think it has happened at every venue....especially the wine.

I can only put it down to the fact that some/most dancers are so tight that they would prefer to just help themselves to others drinks than get one for themselves, or cant be bothered to wait at the over busy/understaffed bar.

Its easy to nick a drink at dancing.....as you are on the floor more than at the table. I've never actually caught anyone taking one of my drinks.....luckily for them.
    Yeah, would you mind getting dry wine in future, I don't like the sweet stuff you usually have.

I'm waiting for DJ to come and split this thread

The worst place I've experienced for water nicking is Twyford. Lovely venue in all other ways, but I've lost so damn many bottles of water there

I just keep the bottles in my bag now [shrug]

Tonbridge, Kent, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way, The Universe.

Lucky I read this thread.

I was wondering why I've been able to drink so many beers at dancing, never get drunk and yet (arguably) still dance.

Saves me from checking into AA.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    see other threads but they can charge for the glass getting you the water etc
    Not in Scotland (as andystyle said)...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Since 2005 in Scotland, in licensed premises "tap water fit for drinking must be provided free of charge on request."
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water? Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit. If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spin dryer View Post
    Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water? Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit. If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means.
    I doubt anyone is so skint that they can't afford to pay for water whilst dancing, and if they were, they're hardly likely to be shouting about it.

I don't think I do object to paying for it, as such. It can be a little annoying though, when you go from one venue where the staff are happy to freely give you a jug of ice water, a glass and even put a slice of lemon in, to a venue where jugs and glasses are dotted around the bar, then to a venue where you have to pay for it.

Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water?
    They aren't. They are adverse to paying over the odds for tap water. (I don't think people mind a small charge to cover serving, glass washing etc.) And not being allowed to bring water/tap water into a venue with them. I take a bottle of water everywhere I go - if the one place I wasn't allowed to take it was somewhere I was especially likely to need it, I'd be rather annoyed.

If anyone is so hard up that they really can't afford to buy water, they can always cup their hands under a tap and imbibe by that means.
    Drinking out of hands is just silly and brings up hygiene issues. I would guess that if not allowed to bring a bottle of tap water into a venue, you would also not be allowed to bring an empty bottle and fill it at a tap.

Dancers tend not to drink much so the venues aren't going to make much from alcohol sales. There are staff to pay and the venue and the event organisers are entitled to make a profit.
    Hoping to turn a profit on the sale of tap water doesn't sound like a good business plan.

Didn't work for Coca-Cola, at any rate...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why are so many dancers averse to paying for water?
    Does it matter?

Clearly, some dancers have an issue in this area. So from a point of view of customer satisfaction, if nothing else, it's pointless to say "You're wrong, so stop being worked up about it" - the best response is to do something about it, surely?

As a lot of weekenders are now doing, for example, by providing free water.

Thread Information