Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Specsavers

Re: Specsavers

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    You shouldn't need to get them retested if your prescription is less than two years old (or however long it is before your retest is due)

I've used prescriptions from other opticians at specsavers etc before with no problem
    Ok this is going to sound silly and obvious but i've never done this before......how do i get the prescription from my opticians? Do i just ask them for one? Is it on a piece of paper? What do i do if i do find a pair of glasses i do like in another optician branch? I had my eyes retested ealier this year for glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Ok this is going to sound silly and obvious but i've never done this before......how do i get the prescription from my opticians? Do i just ask them for one? Is it on a piece of paper? What do i do if i do find a pair of glasses i do like in another optician branch? I had my eyes retested ealier this year for glasses.
    It is a legal requirement that your optician issue you with a copy of your prescription at the end of the eye examination. If they didn't, go back and ask them for a written copy. If they get shirty, threaten to report them.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    The only thing to be wary of with any type of soft lens though is that you are more likely to get eye infections, and my understanding is that the longer you leave the lens in, then the greater the chance. So having them in for a month at a time is the worst kind.
    I know someone who had a serious eye infection from the "leave-them-in-all-month" type of lens. She has permanent vision damage in one eye (everything is permanently like looking through frosted glass).

I think the experts told her you're quite a few times more likely to get an infection from that sort of lens.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Aye aye i had my eyes lasered about 3 years ago.

I now have perfect vision but need reading glasses.

I would highly recommend this to anyone.

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    I've got bad eyesight, but don't really fancy the laser option. The risk of side effects is still too high for me to consider having the operations. It works really well for some people but lots of people are recorded to have problems, especially at dusk/nightime in low light conditions.

My sister used to live next door to an eye surgeon, and at the time was having problems with contact lenses and was considering getting laser surgery. She had a chat with her surgeon next door neighbour, and he strongly recommended against getting it done. Apparently there are a lot of eye surgeons and their relatives still wearing glasses/contacts.

Anyone else had the operation and can recommend it - I do hate being blind (-6.25 in my left eye and -6.75 in my right eye)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Anyone else had the operation and can recommend it - I do hate being blind (-6.25 in my left eye and -6.75 in my right eye)
    I had it done a couple of years ago myself. Best money I've ever spent bar none.

There's a good thread about this here:
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/c...ct-lenses.html

I couldn't upload that thread because my laptop is being slow!!! But whats the disadvantages of eye laser surgery? I'd love not poking my eye on a daily basis

I a speccy git and have been since Primary one (I found my old glasses I used as a 5 year old a few years back. turns out My little sister had been given them to play with on her Dolls! )

I've dabbled with contacts and loved the feeling of not having to wear glasses... unfortunately the feeling of having to wear contacts detracted from that somewhat.

I'd LOVE the laser surgery but it scares the bejeezus out of me!. I've had many operations on my eyes when I was a kid but all done under general anaesthetic. I was fine with that until one day I caught one of these real life hospital "docu-wossits" where they follow a hospital for a week. I saw a young teen getting one of the same ops as I had and made myself sick. Since then I'm incredibly squeamish about eye ops!

Another thing that scares me .. .. is the price! what is it these days? £1200 -£1500 per eye? That's up to £3000 for the pair.. and well out of my price range at the moment.

I'm Confused about the LASEK. LASIK, WAVEFRONT, etc etc all these options.. I don't really understand what's what.

it's something I'd really love to do if I had the money though but a luxury I can't justify at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I a speccy git and have been since Primary one (I found my old glasses I used as a 5 year old a few years back. turns out My little sister had been given them to play with on her Dolls! )
    Join the club except i started becoming 'blind' when i was 10 (9 years ago soon to be 10 years ago )

I've dabbled with contacts and loved the feeling of not having to wear glasses... unfortunately the feeling of having to wear contacts detracted from that somewhat.
    i prefer contacts than glasses except when im at a foam party because it's horrible the foam getting into your eyes and you just have to becareful which is hard when everyone is wet and wild .......at a foam party

Another thing that scares me .. .. is the price! what is it these days? £1200 -£1500 per eye? That's up to £3000 for the pair.. and well out of my price range at the moment.

it's something I'd really love to do if I had the money though but a luxury I can't justify at the moment.
    i don't think i could ever afford it. There was an advertisment about getting eye laser surgery for £400 or £500 something per eye.....i still wouldn't be able to afford and it's literally take me YEARS to save up to the total amount

Blog Entries

I'm Confused about the LASEK. LASIK, WAVEFRONT, etc etc all these options.. I don't really understand what's what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    i don't think i could ever afford it. There was an advertisment about getting eye laser surgery for £400 or £500 something per eye.....i still wouldn't be able to afford and it's literally take me YEARS to save up to the total amount
    I've looked into it quite a lot and I have statistics that tell me it couldn't be much safer, but I also have reports of people with permanently dry eyes (having to use eye drops every couple of hours), people whose eyesight has not improved/got worse.
    The information I have leads me to think that it's worth the risk for me.
    HOWEVER, although I could get both done for £800, I'll be waiting until I can afford to spend £3-5000 on it.

Basically, the more expensive the procedure, the less material they have to remove from your eyes because of better technology to map the contours of your eyes.
    My opinion is that if you can't afford the most expensive/advanced procedure, it isn't worth the risk.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Basically, the more expensive the procedure, the less material they have to remove from your eyes because of better technology to map the contours of your eyes.
    My opinion is that if you can't afford the most expensive/advanced procedure, it isn't worth the risk.

I got mine done at Moorfields - £3.5K, but worth it for peace of mind.

Yeah that's my philosophy too.. Sure I could get the "Tesco Value" brand shine Job for a pack of 20 menthol Kools or I could wait until I could afford the better more expensive proceedure.

eyesight is far too important to take money saving shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

I got mine done at Moorfields - £3.5K, but worth it for peace of mind.
    I remember when my manager at a place I worked had expensive surgery on his eyes at Moorfields.

The firm paid for it.

When he came back to work, it wasn't long before he was caught with his fingers in the till.

He was sacked of course.

Thread Information