Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammersmith: your views

Re: Hammersmith: your views

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    My theory:

1. Andy McGregor has hacked the forum.
    2. Andy McGregor can't spell rouge.

DJ wearing makeup - that I'd love to see.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    DJ wearing makeup - that I'd love to see.
    What makes you think I don't?

For me Hammersmith can be a very mixed bag - I generally only go when there are 2 rooms.

Saturday night the music wasn't so much to my taste - far to much clubby type music - even for a ceroc type night

The venue is fine, the floor is nice - not a fan of the trek downstairs to the ladies but on the upside no cue. Given that the Bar isn't a full bar, the prices seem a little steep but such is life.

So overall it was the people that made it for me on Saturday night - starting with the wonderful surprize of Dizzy!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    He is now a lovable rogue moderator
    Is it just me or does he come across all mysterious, manly and masterful since he got that tag?

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Is it just me or does he come across all mysterious, manly and masterful since he got that tag?
    just you

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    What makes you think I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    just you
    I thought so!

I went to the Hammersmith re-opening and loved it.

I know that it's not everyones cup, but I've always been a fan of Hammersmith. The buzz / atmosphere of the place is unique to Hammersmith as it is the only regular freestyle of it's size in the country. So it really does stand out for me.

Anyway the main reason for posting is that through chatting with people in the know, I understand that one of the improvements made whilst the venue has been closed is the installation of Air-conditioning. For those of you who know how hot it gets in there during the summer months, you will appreciate what a bonus that is!!!

Will

P.S. I've not read the whole thread, so apologies if this information has already been posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

Anyway the main reason for posting is that through chatting with people in the know, I understand that one of the improvements made whilst the venue has been closed is the installation of Air-conditioning. For those of you who know how hot it gets in there during the summer months, you will appreciate what a bonus that is!!!

Will

P.S. I've not read the whole thread, so apologies if this information has already been posted.
    No, you're the first one in the 'know' to tell us.

It should be great.

The only problem with AC is

1 It's tempramental

2. venue managers seem to hate turning it up high enough ( are they charged more for the electricity?)

3. If a venue relies soley on AC and it breaks down, then their is no ventilation.

quick bit of info

hammersmith does not have A/C

it has a air movement which removes the hot air out of the room as hot air rises it gets taken out fron the celing.

as hammersmith gets really hot this has helped a lot (well this doesn't help the room downstairs)

Commercial Operator

The one thing that I hate most at dances is overcrowding, very occasionally the music can be so bad that I'll really hate an evening because of it, but normally there are some redeeming tracks, and if there's space to play, then it can be possible to find something interesting in otherwise tedious tracks.

So, as far as London (& nearby) is concerned, the venues that I've never enjoyed because of the crowds are -
    Hammersmith
    Chiswick
    Ashtons
    Fulham
    HMS President
    Woking

That really leaves just two that I have always enjoyed - Greenwich, where I know some events have had limited numbers. A shame that the journey is a pain, and that it rarely seems ot be on when I can get there. The second is Utopia at Twickenham, I've not been able to make that for a while, but hope the numbers still have that restriction.

Yes it is frustrating when I've had a night in, and hear from a friend "Hammersmith was empty last night, it was great!" but it's never been like that when I've been there.

So if everyone could decide not to go to Hammersmith sometime, let me know, and I'll go along...
    Alternatively, if organisers would take the financial pain (why should they?) and restrict numbers at a sensible level, then I'm sure I'd go along far more often.
    There is one event like this that I try to get to every month, but it is run for charity, I can't see Ceroc becoming a charity anytime soon.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    the venues I like are

Ealing
    Ashtons
    Berko
    HMS Presedent
    Twyford
    Simon Borland's Fullham venue

:
    forgot Grenwich

I love it there

Commercial Operator

Oh and I forgot ICE (was that Cheshunt?) I went last year, fabulous music, good floor, great dancers, but the most crowded event I've ever been to, a complete waste of time for dancing

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Oh and I forgot ICE (was that Cheshunt?)
    Finchley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I went last year, fabulous music, good floor, great dancers, but the most crowded event I've ever been to, a complete waste of time for dancing
    You should've seen it the first time - 350 dancers

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Finchley.

You should've seen it the first time - 350 dancers
    On again this year and its tickets only now

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

The only person whom I had any issue with on this front is someone I’ve seen at competitions, and I nearly posted this on the thread that’s running about competition winners, but saying that “I don’t like dancing near competitors”! During one early dance my partner had to keep taking evasive action due to this lead, and at one point he and his partner reversed into us whilst we were actually stationary. Then later, whilst dancing with someone else, the guy did a half splits move – a squat low to the floor with one leg extended out behind him. I only realised this as I suddenly felt something, and looked down to find his foot had been inserted between my feet, and out the other side! Fortunately it was a slowish number, and I was able to extricate myself without incident. But it was an incredibly stupid move to be doing on such a crowded, social dance floor.
    Yes, that episode was a bit annoying and slightly bewildering. Almost felt like we were being chased towards the front during that dance!

And have never had a major problem with the bar either. Once or twice have had a queue and maybe had to wait 10 minutes. And I noticed on Saturday they were doing tap water – 20p for the plastic cup, then free refills which was good. Still bought a bottle, as there isn’t anywhere to put a cup, and have had things spilt before. Agree that the seating arrangements are less than ideal, however they are trying to maximise dance floor space, and at least you’re not barricaded behind tables, so do get asked to dance even if you’re sitting down.
    I queued once for about 90 seconds - and that was a longish queue. Tend to go for the plastic cups myself. Bottles cost more and i always seem to end up putting it down somewhere and forgetting about it, which one it was, etc. Much prefer to just take a short break and finish the cup off in one.

So I continue to like Hammersmith. Whatever anyone else says!
    Havent really got much to compare it to myself but i will continue going

Thread Information