Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Choreographed moves.

Re: Choreographed moves.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    What's the difference then?

Much as Robd has just said, I’d say an “educated” move is one that requires the follower to do something under certain conditions, even if she doesn’t know what move is being lead. Rob’s example of the trapped arm syndrome is a really good one, but I’m struggling to think of any more off the top of my head in MJ context.

Perhaps moves where the leader and the follower counterweight each other from a closed hold? All the follower needs to know is to sink her weight back in that hold to maintain connection, and the leader can let her stretch back into a counter balanced position to him if she continues to do so.

There are plenty more examples in Tango and WCS at least.

Rather than redefining words to make them mean whatever suits our arguments , here are some dictionary defnitions:-

Choreography=

OED - 1 the sequence of steps and movements in dance. 2 the practice of designing such sequences.

Cambridge (UK)- the skill of combining movements into dances to be performed

Cambridge (US) - the movements used by dancers esp. in performing ballet, or the art of planning such movements

Collins - 1 the composition of steps and movements for ballet and other dancing 2 the steps and movements of a ballet or dance

Which shows that the dictionaries are as inconsistent as we are

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    Cambridge (UK)- the skill of combining movements into dances to be performed
    I like this one, sums it up for me.

Freestyle being lead and follow, corri being for a performance.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    if I am R-R and lead a lady forward then throw her hand away towards my right whilst moving myself forward and to my left to collect her left shoulder blade with my right hand (closest analogy is that it's an MJ version of an inside-out whip).
    Just re-read this in my original post and realised I needed to change the part above in bold. Hardly matters really as written descriptions of dance steps can be confusing to understand at the best of times but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Just re-read this in my original post and realised I needed to change the part above in bold. Hardly matters really as written descriptions of dance steps can be confusing to understand at the best of times but there you go.
    I had tried to visualise what you were describing and concluded it would be much too difficult for me to get round the follower's left - so you must be so much better than me I should just shut up. Now your crown has slipped!

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Much as Robd has just said, I’d say an “educated” move is one that requires the follower to do something under certain conditions, even if she doesn’t know what move is being lead. Rob’s example of the trapped arm syndrome is a really good one, but I’m struggling to think of any more off the top of my head in MJ context. ...
    The so called "Drunken sailor" requires the follower to drop sideways whilst saluting.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    I had tried to visualise what you were describing and concluded it would be much too difficult for me to get round the follower's left - so you must be so much better than me I should just shut up. Now your crown has slipped!
    Well, since the follower will have turned 180 degress whilst being taken into close hold I will have travelled round her left as she then sees it so I suppose either description could be taken as correct but yes, I agree, I must be so much better than you that you should shut up

Thread Information