Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Skegness September 2009 - The Aftermath

Re: Skegness September 2009 - The Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    I remember someone asking me to dance and then asking if I'd done the WCS lesson that afternoon one Southport. When I said I hadn't he just walked off and left me standing there. What happened to leading?
    Well, I understand that this was experienced by you as very rude, but one possible construction on this incident is that he had done the lesson himself and felt he needed someone who had also done it to practise with - not uncommon with novice leaders who haven't got much faith in their own lead. I don't think it's easy to lead WCS on someone who's not familiar with it. He might have wanted to practise the routine while it was fresh in his mind rather than dance MJ at that moment.

However, IF (and maybe he WAS just plain rude) this was the case, a quick explanation to you might have been polite!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisU View Post
    DJing with it on your left hand side is a nightmare!!!!

ChrisU
    It was cold Chris wasn't it

Quote Originally Posted by locoman View Post
    heavy too!
    hey man he aint heavy he's my brother

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    yes i think i got let of with the lesson unlike a few people i know and they know the people/person im on about,
    its just a rest bit you have Breeze to get through

What happened to leading?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

its just a rest bit you have Breeze to get through

Hey, loves ya babe, but I think the word you were looking for is respite. And yet, I'm constantly amazed that these words you conjure up make a quirky sort of sense.

Great night at Evesham. Rachel found nice things to say about my dancing. She really is a delightful girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    There is a big difference between asking a follower 'Would you like to WCS/Tango/etc?' and giving a choice - and asking the same but then pulling a face or walking off if the follower says 'No'.

The former is entirely appropriate - esp if the music is suitable for a particular style of dance. The latter is just rude.

If I was dancing MJ with a lead and it was say a WCSable track and he asked if I wanted to try WCS I'd think he was being considerate - asking rather than just assuming.

thanks lynn this is correct if a man wants to dance a different type then they should ask and not pull faces or saying do you west coast in they way i got asked by a few men, what ever happened to being nice and not rude.

I remember someone asking me to dance and then asking if I'd done the WCS lesson that afternoon one Southport. When I said I hadn't he just walked off and left me standing there.
    The brevity and curtness of his reaction was just plain rude. Even if his explanation was that he had come along to Southport to learn to dance WCS, it was the only dance that he knew and he was desperate to practice it would at least have explained the situation.

In the sorts of rooms that are common at weekenders, where you get a mix of music that is siutable for WCS, swing, MJ, cha cha and Tango it is often difficult to find a partner that you know will be comfortable with a particular dance style. You look around desparately to find people that you either know can dance a particular style or that you met in a lesson. It would be so much easier if we had different coloured affinity bracelets to show which dance styles we were comfrotable with. Perhaps even multi coloured badges signifiying our dance styles that we were comfortable with.

Almost anything would be better that the scrabble that goes on between songs when the music style changes as you try to find a partner that can feel comfortable with a particular dance style. I suppose we almost all (I once met a lady who could only dance tango at a MJ weekender) have the fall back position of dancing MJ but I must tell you that the feeling of dancing MJ to tango music now just feels bizzare in a way that it just didn't before I started learning AT.

:What happened to leading?
    In WCS I just lead the initial direction and any changes of direction. I cannot lead you to stick to the rhythmic structure of the dance, to stay in your slot and to maintain your frame - you have to do that yourself as it is part of your role in the dance. If a follower doesn't maintain rhythm then she is not on the foot I expect her to be, when I expect and all my carefull preparation for a pattern fails. If you go out of your slot (unless I lead it as a redirection) then you are not in range for me to lead. If your frame is not resiliant in the horizontal direction but relaxed in the vertical direction then it is almost impossible to lead anything.

If the conventions of a particular dance are ignored by followers (or leaders)then its makes that dance impossible for the partnership as a whole. WCS is more than just MJ in a slot. Tango is more than just twiddling your legs about a bit. A leader, however good, can only achieve so much with and unknowing follower.
    Last edited by Chef; 28th-September-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Hey, loves ya babe, but I think the word you were looking for is respite. And yet, I'm constantly amazed that these words you conjure up make a quirky sort of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    , what ever happened to being nice and not rude.

Its possible that some leads are lacking in other areas of there life and this is a way of them feeling superior

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    The brevity and curtness of his reaction was just plain rude.

It would be so much easier if we had different coloured affinity bracelets to show which dance styles we were comfrotable with. Perhaps even multi coloured badges signifiying our dance styles that we were comfortable with.
    Lory would need a lot of badges!
    but I must tell you that the feeling of dancing MJ to tango music now just feels bizzare in a way that it just didn't before I started learning AT.
    That's true for me too, even though I'm only a beginner.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

Its possible that some leads are lacking in other areas of there life and this is a way of them feeling superior
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    The brevity and curtness of his reaction was just plain rude. Even if his explanation was that he had come along to Southport to learn to dance WCS, it was the only dance that he knew and he was desperate to practice it would at least have explained the situation.
    He should have explained the situation.

You look around desparately to find people that you either know can dance a particular style or that you met in a lesson.
    I'm assuming that's what the man was doing when he rudely walked off and left Ruby Red standing there. Although of course, it's far more likely that he was acting out his deep-seated anxieties about the inadequacies of his miserable human existence. He may also have been suffering from a severe and untreated case of DSSS.* Tsk.

There should be parapsychiatrists on call at every weekender to deal with these pathetic cases. I suggest immediate stun-gun therapy.

*Dodgy Social Skills Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'm assuming that's what the man was doing when he rudely walked off and left Ruby Red standing there. Although of course, it's far more likely that he was acting out his deep-seated anxieties about the inadequacies of his miserable human existence. He may also have been suffering from a severe and untreated case of DSSS.* Tsk.

Not really I just spotted a girl with larger tits across the dance floor

Thread Information