Thread: What constitutes a strong and clear lead?

Unregistered

Unhappy What constitutes a strong and clear lead?

Apparantly I'm not a clear lead. However I don't understand what is meant by this. I've been told various contradictory thing, none of which help. The only real explaination I've been given though is that clear leads tend to move their hands more. However I don't understand how I can do anything except move my hands my the amount dictated by the length of my arms, the move in question and the speed and which I'm dancing.

Re: What constitutes a strong and clear lead?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Apparantly I'm not a clear lead. However I don't understand what is meant by this. I've been told various contradictory thing, none of which help. The only real explaination I've been given though is that clear leads tend to move their hands more. However I don't understand how I can do anything except move my hands my the amount dictated by the length of my arms, the move in question and the speed and which I'm dancing.
    A good question,{ and one that has been covered before; I’m sure that someone will post a link }
    First, there is a difference between a “Strong” lead and a “Clear” lead:
    - A strong lead gives your partner little choice but to go in the direction you are leading them: without a precise lead, you will be leading them into the wrong places to do what you want.
    - a clear lead outlines exactly where you want to move your partner and invites them to move there.

The clearer the lead, the less strong it has to be. The better the partner, the less strong it has to be AND they can sometines compensate for a ‘fuzzy’ lead. However you may find that beginner partners may need a stronger lead so they can feel it.

So, what is a clear lead? A lot of it is confidence on your half and trust on your partners. You have to guide your partner and make it obvious where you expect her to go/be.
    it’s not just where you move your hands, but more the pressure you keep through the contact.

Bit pushed for time at the mo' -- but I've got some notes at www.afterfive.co.uk -- some of which deal with some ideas about leading --- normally, I'd put this in a PM.

I'll try and do a proper reply later.

SpinDr.

Thread Information