Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal Dance Venues

The Dashing Moderator

Ideal Dance Venues

Originally posted by Chicklet
    Haven't seen the accounts so don't know what the balance sheet looks like but what about Ceroc investing in some property ?
    Ceroc could then spec it out as a top class dance venue, take first pick of it's days and nights for classes workshops and parties and hire out the rest to *shock horror* other organisations ???

Ceroc gets the hire out income and we all get to dance in a top class venue!
    Further to Chicklet's excellent suggestion of Ceroc creating a top-spec dance venue - what would such a venue be like?

What features would your perfect, purpose-built dance venue have?

I can think of a few things it could have:
    - a good dance floor
    - air conditioning
    - car parking
    - easy to get to by public transport
    - secondary smaller dance areas for workshops and those 'refresher' classes which taxi dancers do for beginners.
    - water coolers

.. but there must be loads more...
    Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Ideal Dance Venues

Originally posted by DavidY

Yup. DJ should be in chair on trapdoor that springs open to plummet them to swimming pool (with crocs) below when thrown objects hit the 6 ft red and white target suspended behind the decks.

of course the DJ, to keep it fair, should have the Arc of the Covenent next to decks to open in a weird religious ceromony and send gods lightning wrath at all inconsiderate dancers who don't realise what a difficult job it can be DJ'ing for ungrateful opinionated muppets like them.

Fun fun fun

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Originally posted by DavidY

Very quickly (it's lunch time and I've got to go back soon )

more than 2 toilets for the girls and toilet roll in them all (!)
    a decent stage so you can see the teachers
    good lighting
    and a decent shape of dance floor - plus plenty space around it for people who are sitting and their respective luggage

separate coffee lounge/bar area for anyone who's hurt/tired (I've heard of these people but never actually seen one - they do exist right?)
    showers
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Ideal Dance Venues

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    (with crocs)
    Fun fun fun
    jelly crocs for sharing, obviously

The Forum Legend

Originally posted by Sheena
    separate coffee lounge/bar area for anyone who's hurt/tired (I've heard of these people but never actually seen one - they do exist right?)
    Ummm...... I just wish that had really been the case Sheena!!!

Steve

• built in cameras covering the dance floor (normally only turned on for events)
    • cameras trained on the stage {O'Donahughs has this if I remember correctly.}
    • projector screens at various points throught the room
    • large projector screen to cover stage - Virtual teaching
    • Video room - small dance studio with a few cameras and ability to watch/record
    • live web broadcast facilities
    • Have the lounge area (as per Sheena's sugestion) able to watch over/see the stage and/or dance floor
    • cloakrooom lockers with shoe-racks
    • scrolling info bar by the DJ's booth telling the name/artist of the track currently being played
    • direct floor feedback for volume and balance to the DJ booth
    • choclolate vending machine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Gadget
    • live web broadcast facilities
    web broadcast = extra revenue from people who cant always go but want to pick up some moves at home - good idea.....and Ceroc would make the national press for being innovative too so free advertising...result!

chocolate vending machine....? someone would eat it before it could vend anything

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

of course the DJ, to keep it fair, should have the Arc of the Covenent next to decks to open in a weird religious ceromony and send gods lightning wrath at all inconsiderate dancers who don't realise what a difficult job it can be DJ'ing for ungrateful opinionated muppets like them.

Fun fun fun
    I recall that in the religious ceremony it is advisable to close your eyes and not look at what is going on.....................I assume that is the point when the Tramp starts dancing directly in front of the DJ booth

Air conditioning is ok , big dance floor may be necessary, coffee lounge would be nice, - But what about the continuous supply of Budweiser!

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Ideal Dance Venues

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    - But what about the continuous supply of Budweiser!
    not till "after" for me thanks!

very fond of a Bud or two, ice cold and straight from the bottle but am happier without it till I've got my dancin shoes OFF!.

IMH experience, this seems to be a prevailing attitude (am I wrong?) round hereabouts - do we have a N / S divide on this question?

C

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ideal Dance Venues

not till "after" for me thanks!

very fond of a Bud or two, ice cold and straight from the bottle but am happier without it till I've got my dancin shoes OFF!.

IMH experience, this seems to be a prevailing attitude (am I wrong?) round hereabouts - do we have a N / S divide on this question?

C
    No - not north south divide When the dancing shos come off I often have a two hour drive and when I'm not dancing I need something refreshing between pressing buttons. Two bottles a night max unless it is a weekend event then.........

It was said TIC
    p

B.T.C.

Originally posted by Sheena
    Very quickly (it's lunch time and I've got to go back soon )

more than 2 toilets for the girls and toilet roll in them all (!)

showers

But I thought you girls always came prepared ...and wouldn't your own be softer , longer and so much stronger

I remember the girls always complained about our first venue at the Palace in Aberdeen where not only was there often no toilet roll but possibly no seats ( for those who don't hover !!) and no locks on the doors. Apart from that, and the sodden carpet, and the smell, and the lack of taps that worked it was a great venue.

and at least we have showers at Marcos.

So where are we building this wonderful venue???????????????

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Bill

So where are we building this wonderful venue???????????????
    I've got a FANTASTIC electronics factory in East Kilbride going cheap just shortly!!

Sure there must be Scottish Office grants to rip up ESD and put down wood. Easy motorway access, parking, good A/C, toilet roll for 2 years (OK so we've got an overenthusiastic non-inventory purchasing type!!), sound system / tannoy, canteen, CCTV, security, tables and chairs etc etc.

PM me offers all you francise holders!!

Actually, thinking about it, an 8 year old clean environment building in a central locaton really isn't as wild an idea as it sounds...just needs a little er ..vision??

B.T.C.

toilet roll for 2 years (OK so we've got an overenthusiastic non-inventory purchasing type

enough toilet roll for women for 2 years..............good grief the building must be packed............... no wonder no-one can get in there

sound system, cameras, tables.....................

and maybe some dancing as well

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    I recall that in the religious ceremony it is advisable to close your eyes and not look at what is going on.....................I assume that is the point when the Tramp starts dancing directly in front of the DJ booth

The Dashing Moderator

I've got a FANTASTIC electronics factory in East Kilbride going cheap just shortly!!

Actually, thinking about it, an 8 year old clean environment building in a central locaton really isn't as wild an idea as it sounds...just needs a little er ..vision??
    You could sell shares.... How much would each forum member (given there are over 500 of us, although I dunno how many are 'active') need to contribute to buy & kit out such a place?
    Love dance, will travel

Ideal Dance Venues

In amongst all these great ideas some tiny little item has been forgotten. "It has to be self sustaining" It does not add up financially does it?

Guess what we need is someone to convince a club/pub to give us space to dance during the week till 2am. and possibly at weekend maybe.

This is "THE PLAN" We all turn up at a selected venue and take over the dance floor whilst mumbling to any available ear about this great dance style taking over the planet. We all get totally drunk!!!! After the third night in a row we send in our "Ceroc secret agent" who vaguely mentions that he has selected YOUR CLUB first old chap and mentions briefly about a three year contract at a favourable price!!!

The publican taken aback by the huge turnout of drunken bums doing knotty style of dancing decides he has nothing to lose and plenty money to gain signs up!!! JOB DONE

Planned throughout the country at suitable locations naturally

Me thinks a nice cold bottle of millar would do nicely

Originally posted by michael
    We all get totally drunk!!!!
    I like the way you think. Include me in!

Neil

Originally posted by Will
    You're wicked Will!

But anyway, he wouldn't dare, not if I were teaching, would you Steve?

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Blog Entries

Originally posted by michael
    . "It has to be self sustaining" It does not add up financially does it?
    At this point on a Monday morning I really don't know but it has got me thinking. Funnily enough I know quite a lot about the running costs for this building at least and I know that a lot of them are specific to what we try and do here. Let me think about it over the week and run up a little spreadsheet and I'll get back to you. Surely with the number of accountants we've got around here we can MAKE it add up!!

The Dashing Moderator
    At this point on a Monday morning I really don't know but it has got me thinking. Funnily enough I know quite a lot about the running costs for this building at least and I know that a lot of them are specific to what we try and do here. Let me think about it over the week and run up a little spreadsheet and I'll get back to you. Surely with the number of accountants we've got around here we can MAKE it add up!!
    Originally posted by Jon in another thread
    So what if ceroc were to purchase property ~snip~.And when Ceroc arn't using it like during the day you could hire it out.
    I'm going to leave the sums to the accountants - but I reckon that part of the key, as Jon suggests, is to have something that can make money during the day as well...
    Originally posted by Gordon J Pownall in yet another thread
    The next round of the JIVE MASTERS takes place on 27 July 2003 ~snip~The venue is the David Lloyd Centre, Buckhurst Hill on the Chigwell border.
    No idea what this venue is like to dance in, but if someone can build a health club and hire it out as a dance venue in its spare time, how about building a dance venue and letting people use bits of it during the day for the sort of things you'd do in a health club?
    Some of the features of the ideal dance venue:
    Originally posted by various folk
    • cloakrooom lockers with shoe-racks
    • showers
    • water coolers
    ... would work well in a health club, and you could use the dance floor for aerobics classes etc. during the day. You might also put partitions into the dance floor (as long as they don't need runners in the floor) to split into smaller areas.

I'm not sure how:

would fit with the healthy crowd, but maybe that could be hidden away during the day
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information