Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Craft

Floor Craft

Ok, thought I'd start a new thread to see if anyone's got a tip or two to share about floor craft.

Mine are pretty obvious:
    0). Stay close, keep a good connection -- you may need to suddenly stop, or take avoiding action.
    1). If you've had to take some evasive action -- then explain why to your follower.
    2). If there is a problem area on the dance floor, then show your follower where they should avoid, e.g. with a quick glance, or nod.
    3). If it's getting crowded behind your follower, then lead them into a basket (or similar) so that they can see the area that was behind them -- and so that they can dance accordingly if/when they go back there.

Thoughts?

SpinDr.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Floor Craft

its the end of the day, so....

Originally posted by spindr
    0). Stay close, keep a good connection -- you may need to suddenly stop, or take avoiding action.
    0 ? Who starts at 0 in a list ? weirdo But I agree with you, best to get a friend to use duck tape to make sure your follower can't escape.

1). If you've had to take some evasive action -- then explain why to your follower.
    Ninjas ! Pirates! Ninja pirates ! Jeremy Beadles trying to cut in ! Dancer with BO ! .......run away, run awaaaay. (it IS best to explain why you're dragging her along whilst secured by duck tape)

2). If there is a problem area on the dance floor, then show your follower where they should avoid, e.g. with a quick glance, or nod.
    And feel guilty as she falls down the mineshaft whilst wondering where you got that nervous tic from.

3). If it's getting crowded behind your follower, then lead them into a basket (or similar) so that they can see the area that was behind them -- and so that they can dance accordingly if/when they go back there.
    If the congo line is still there after you signalled for them to bugger off, its acceptable to use your follower as a weapon. Especially if its Debster, the shoes'll sort em out.

Thoughts?
    Nope. None. None you'd want to hear anyway, ill just try and refrain from pressing the 'Submit Reply' button.....nnnghh....

Three suggestions.
    Given a reasoanble amount of space, dance in a slot - as though on tramlines. Your partner will know where she has to go.
    Given less space, use rotary moves around each other and keep the steps a short and flying arms and legs minimal.
    Remember your partner's safety - always be prepared to abandon a move at short notice. So be aware where there is space and where there is none.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

edge or not?

Dancing near the edge of the dance floor gives you one less side to watch out for other dancers, but you've also got to watch out for people coming onto the dance floor, who seem to pay less attention than when they've started dancing.

Back to the competition vs. social dancing thread, I've been told that for competition I should extend my arms more, but for almost all of my social dancing there's never room to do that, so I end up training myself not to.

When all else fails

And what about when its really too packed .... even if you were on the dance floor first, you should have the confidence to take yourself and your partner off the dancefloor. Only ever heard one instructor pass on these words of wisdom.

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

Re: When all else fails

Originally posted by Gus
    And what about when its really too packed .... even if you were on the dance floor first, you should have the confidence to take yourself and your partner off the dancefloor. Only ever heard one instructor pass on these words of wisdom.
    I guess so. Sadly only the most considerate and careful dancers will think to do this, leaving the floor that bit more dangerous

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Floor Craft

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

0 ? Who starts at 0 in a list ? weirdo But I agree with you, best to get a friend to use duck tape to make sure your follower can't escape.

Ninjas ! Pirates! Ninja pirates ! Jeremy Beadles trying to cut in ! Dancer with BO ! .......run away, run awaaaay. (it IS best to explain why you're dragging her along whilst secured by duck tape)

And feel guilty as she falls down the mineshaft whilst wondering where you got that nervous tic from.

If the congo line is still there after you signalled for them to bugger off, its acceptable to use your follower as a weapon. Especially if its Debster, the shoes'll sort em out.

Nope. None. None you'd want to hear anyway, ill just try and refrain from pressing the 'Submit Reply' button.....nnnghh....

Love your post.

But seriously. When on a really crowded dance floor the sad fact is that the vast majority of dancers out there get too caught up with the person they are dancing with to notice anyone around them. And as a consequence collisions are inevitable.

Generally if I see a collision coming I try and position myself in-between the girl and offending object and this hurts them more than me (unless that object is the Tramp ). And I also make sure that I pick my dance space carefully. Just by watching the floor for a couple of minutes you very quickly workout who watches their space and who is likely to grab the girl by the wrists and swing her around in a big circle like a merry-go-round. So by dancing in the middle of a group of dancers with good floor craft one will have an easier time on the dance floor.

As far as floor craft from a teachers standpoint goes, Nicky and I do try and make a point of it whenever we can (though I get the feeling we can't ever do it enough). The worst offenders we have are people who insist on doing big aerials on crowded dance floors. But despite our best attempts some people just don't listen.

Re: Re: Re: Floor Craft

Originally posted by Robert Winter

The worst offenders we have are people who insist on doing big aerials on crowded dance floors. But despite our best attempts some people just don't listen.
    I recently watched some guy swinging his girl far too high such that her heels were inches away from other dancers faces.
    After the next track I took him to one side and told him of his bad floor technique, but started with the words "I know I will only have to bring this to your attention once....." It gained his respect and I have noticed he has changed/calmed his routines when he is amungst other dancers, and leaves the flamboyant moves for when there IS space.
    Maybe we should tackle the problem (because it IS a problem) in the same way.

Good luck

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Too late!!

Re: Floor Craft

Ok, thought I'd start a new thread to see if anyone's got a tip or two to share about floor craft.

SpinDr.
    Agree, If I see my dancing partner is going to be slapped in the face etc I pull her out of the way and explain why later

They will be then internally greatful buy you drinks for the rest of the night maybe even a meal followed by a new car ?

Obvioulsy if they don't look good a slap won't make much difference but I still try to 'protect' them

The space you normally dance in is rarely as simple to allow a straightforward 'slot' or 'circle' style movement:
    Tips for managing the space you have...
    The dance it's self generally involves in-out movement with your partner {oo-er missus } -
    • You can hold and/or rotate the 'in' stage untill an area to go 'out' again appears. (eg moves like a basket, wrap, comb...)
    • Developing close move transitions will help if your planned 'out' space vaishes and on crowded dance floors. (eg moving from a basket to a comb without an 'out' stage)
    • If there is more space on the opposite side of your partner, develop moves to reach it (eg an 'open out' in that direction and then shoulder slide yourself into the space)
    • Always try to free-spin your partner on the spot and move to intercept them if necissary; try never to free-spin them on a crouded dance floor - you have no contact during a 'free-spin' so can't haul them out of collisions.
    • A 'sharp tug' or 'waist grab/block' are the best ways to re-direct your partner to avoid collissions
    • If stepping back, only use small steps; if the "look" involves a large step, check behind you first.
    • Don't remain rooted or static in your dancing: The 'center' of your dancing should not be you; it should be a place somewhere between you and your partner. Side steps, turning, walking round, slides, etc should be used to give yourself as much space as you give your partner.
    • If you are going to use 'arm throwing' stylings (and signals), then accompany it by watching where you're arm is going.

A couple of other points:
    It is part of the lead's job to make sure that you are both dancing in a 'safe' space.
    If collisions do occur, remember that it was not soley the other person's fault and they are dancing within the same space confines you are.

Personally, half the reason I stopped going to a particular night (O'Donohughs) was because I was beginning to learn the "combat" variation of ceroc {deadly ninja unwrap, rooted stepping, manspin signal of doom,...} - not as much fun.
    Last edited by Gadget; 21st-January-2004 at 02:20 PM.

An Eclectic Toaster

Original mad blather by Dreadful Scathe

/snip hysterical (in both senses) gibbering/

You're really trying hard to become the Forum's "Holy Fool", aren't you, DS?

I know personally I'm a bit of a sinner when it comes to collisions. Must learn to use "but the dance floor's really busy" as an excuse for Up Close dancing...

If I'm asked to dance when the floor's really busy, I ask the lady to hold off until the next track. People moving late onto a busy floor is a major bugbear of mine - if I had my way, an electrified fence would pop up around the dance floor when the intro of a track ends

Originally posted by Stuart M
    People moving late onto a busy floor is a major bugbear of mine
    Cound not agree more. I notice also that novices often leave the evening once the taxi dancers have finished, and they walk straight thru a busy dancefloor.
    Why don't teachers teach just some basics of floor technique ?

Over time I found that look then look again before hoping to occupy a new piece of dancefloor helps. You would do it in your car so why can't it be the same with a human being.

I can't remember a class teaching a recreation of the slam that wrestlers use to put their opponent in the corner so why do people do it on a dancefloor. It takes time to perfect (still working on it but getting better). If you want to retain the smile on your partners face at the end of the dance the above does help.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Gadget
    A 'sharp tug' or 'waist grab/block' are the best ways to re-direct your partner to avoid collissions
    A sharp tug is absolutely NOT the best thing to do. It can often cause more damage that the collision you are trying to prevent. You can only do it if the lady has finished her move, is facing you, and is just stepping back.

The 'waist grab/block' is far safer.

Useful techniques to add to your learning curve include turning to face the direction that you are taking yourself in.

Originally posted by Robert Winter

Generally if I see a collision coming I try and position myself in-between the girl and offending object and this hurts them more than me (unless that object is the Tramp ).
    Hey a good one to remember Robert - I will watch those flying elbow moves more closely (for those who don't know, just jesting)

Me I try to do the Nigel and Nina trick, take up lots of space and go for it - be prepared to "make small" at any time, and look out for those people with "no clue", move to a new space... Columbian or a very large traveling first move can bring you into a more "safe" place...

Actually, thinking about it -- I guess I also tend to reduce the amount of space I use if I'm not so sure of how the follower will move -- so that if they break a shoulder, or move unexpectedly then the overall room we take up is still about the same. I guess when you get to "advanced dancer status" (N+N) then it might look like you are taking up more room -- but actually being able to stop on a sixpence (50 euro cent piece) means you're really taking up the same as everyone else? [Since everyone pays the same entrance fee Hmmm, does that mean double troublers should only get an extra 50% space to move in?]

SpinDr.

P.S. C coders number from 0, Fortran hackers from 1

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Gadget
    The 'center' of your dancing should not be you; it should be a place somewhere between you and your partner.

If collisions do occur, remember that it was not soley the other person's fault and they are dancing within the same space confines you are.

Personally, half the reason I stopped going to a particular night (O'Donohughs) was because I was beginning to learn the "combat" variation of ceroc {deadly ninja unwrap, rooted stepping, manspin signal of doom,...} - not as much fun.
    You mean the centre is in the middle ? .........between the two of you ??

many collisions are one persons fault because the 'less aware' are dancing in their own and often 2 or 3 others' space I was recently thumped when simply standing still ( as I usually do !) by a couple who were completely ignoring what was going on around them. I'm usually quite good at spotting 'invaders' and taking evasive action but not easy when you're hit from behind.

And O'Donoghues can be a nightmare which is why - like Gary suggests - I usually dance at the edge nearer the bar - then I always have an 'escape route'

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread

Rarely will I venture to criticise the ladies; as most people who have the misfortune to read my ramblings will know, I strongly believe that it's mostly the guys' faults when it goes wrong on the dance floor.

But one thing I've noticed is that many intermediate ladies seem to find it very hard to dance a return on the spot in freestyle. They can all do it in the lesson, since the slot is enforced by the lines, but as soon as the lights go down a bit, they can't return without travelling.

The consequence of this sometimes is that despite my efforts to stay in the slot on a busy dancefloor, if I lead a non-travelling return, the lady will travel a bit, thus forcibly rotating the slot clockwise through about 90 degrees.

I'm getting better at preventing this without it being too obvious, but I'm still quite puzzled by the fact that they can all do it in class but not freestyle.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisA; 21st-January-2004 at 06:21 PM.

Thread Information