Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lifetime contribution to Modern Jive award.

Lifetime contribution to Modern Jive award.

A question came out of a discussion tonight, watching the Jivemasters DVD...

Who would win it, and why?

Commercial Operator

Re: Lifetime contribution to Modern Jive award.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA

You would, Chris.

And the reasons stand on their own, they need no explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    You would, Chris.

And the reasons stand on their own, they need no explanation.
    Well, I was hoping for something a little more serious than this.

I was watching Viktor, and thinking that his style is so far ahead of anyone else's that he's a total legend.

Then there's Nigel and Nina, who brought blues and musicality into the mainstream.

More recently there's Amir, whose abilty to teach diffcult, technical stuff is IMHO unparallelled, and who, more than anyone else that I've seen, inspires by actually looking like a dancer...

... these are just people I've had the privilege to encounter over the last few years. I'm sure there are others. I just thought it might be interesting to see what other people's perceptions were.

Your perception is pretty obvious as usual, but I wasn't really looking to hear that this time.

Chris

Commercial Operator

Your perception is pretty obvious as usual, but I wasn't really looking to hear that this time.
    Really?

I'm sorry, Chris. How about the next time you start a thread, you maybe put "CJ's opinion not welcome" in the subject and I'll know not to input anything.

For what it's worth, Franck would have to be a nominee. (But sure as hell not for his dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Well, if you were going to include West Coast Swing.....

me and the missus watched Jordan & Tatiana from Rebel Yell 2004.....and were absolutely blown away.

They are without doubt, the coolest, smoothest, innovative, highest quality dancers we've ever had the pleasure of watching.....

....and even better, they'll be at Southport in June.....

Nice one John & Wes

So, in my humble opinion, they'd come over here and kick some British, Australian and anyone else's butt who dared get in their way.

JB x x

How about the likes of James Cronin for setting up Ceroc and bringing MJ to the masses ?
    Sure there are other independants, and other organisation have done their bit to promote MJ (LeRoc down Bristol way for example), but you can't deny the overwhelming coverage and market saturation that Ceroc holds. Just take a look at the class listings on UK-Jive and see the percentage of classes that are Ceroc.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC
    How about the likes of James Cronin for setting up Ceroc and bringing MJ to the masses ?

More recently there's Amir...
    Isn't he a bit young for a "lifetime achievement" award?

Commercial Operator

And how about Franco? He's been a pioneer with his dance weekends.

And how about me? If it wasn't for me there would be no guys entering competitions in a dress

Well apart some of the previous suggestions:
    How about Nicky Haslam -- who else has got an entire continent doing MJ
    Or on a slightly smaller scale, Michel Gay -- most of the Bristol classes can be traced back to his original Bristol Ceroc (pre-trademark).

SpinDr.

Unpopular as he may be with the Ceroc Gods, Robert Austin for introducing the Le Jive Championships, from which so much has flowed.

Commercial Operator

This was the primary reason for me suggsting Franck. He and Jean brought MJ to Scotland and took it to many cities.

This forum, itself, and all it stands for: OPEN discussion (not always, historically, the Ceroc way!! ) and general love of MJ.

His willingness to go the extra mile for MJ, and those who have an interest in it.

Legend is often over-used but, in time, he may well become one.
    Last edited by CJ; 10th-January-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie

me and the missus watched Jordan & Tatiana from Rebel Yell 2004.....and were absolutely blown away.

They are without doubt, the coolest, smoothest, innovative, highest quality dancers we've ever had the pleasure of watching.....
    Did you do their classes? One thing everyone I know commented on was how focussed they were on competitions and judging. A particular one I remember was Jordan explaining if your foot wasn't pointed in the right direction you'd be marked down. Given all the horror whenever anyone suggests 'formalizing' Modern Jive, I'm not sure we're ready to emulate Jordan & Tatianna.

FWIW, Skippy Blair would probably be regarded in the US as the 'WCS Lifetime Achievement Winner'. From the few routines I've seen, I'd also say Mario Robau and Robert/Deborah had pretty big influences in making WCS look like it currently does...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock
    ...........Franck would have to be a nominee. (But sure as hell not for his dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    I would give Franck the nominee for Scotland - DEFINITELY ! And his dancing is fab fab fabby. ... .. .. he gets my 10 out of 10

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

James Cronin.

Without him I would still be holing up somewhere practising guitar and hoping to be the next Michael Landau ( possibly the world's greatest session guitarist).

Then again maybe I would have been the next Michael Landau!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    .........And how about me? If it wasn't for me there would be no guys entering competitions in a dress
    That people would have noticed

Remember the story about Paul (sorry Paula) - she (he) with her (his) partner Robert Heaven were the pioneers of Air Steps in Sussex (possibly the whole modern jive scene) in 1994

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie

....and even better, they'll be at Southport in June.....

Nice one John & Wes

So, in my humble opinion, they'd come over here and kick some British, Australian and anyone else's butt who dared get in their way.

JB x x
    if ypu dont want to wait till June Katy has booked them for Camber in March - it was Katy who introduced us to them at her last Rebel yell
    LL

I trust we are giving out more than one lifetime achievement award. Whatever else Franck has done for MJ may in the end may be surpassed by what this forum achieves. Great things happen when the right idea reaches the right mind, and the right partnerships form. The Le Jive championships were important for that reason, and Franco was nominated for his weekenders. This forum may well turn out to be the site of a major milestone.
    Graham Le Clerc and other early Cerocers and Lerocers have done their bit too. Whosoever initiated the class format should be on the list, if not already.

Come on now guys - what about our very own Roger Chin - been around form day one and has stayed faithful to modern jive

And the Barkers of course) David & Lily imortalised on the famous 'Jive Bunny' video - IMHO David is one of the best leads on the MJ scene and Lily the best follower - between them they must have dance with most of the UK MJ jive scene

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    Come on now guys - what about our very own Roger Chin - been around form day one and has stayed faithful to modern jive
    I would like for somebody to gather together all the various accounts of the formative years of MJ. I thought of Roger, and knew he had been around, but only know of a very few of his contributions to competitions. I am sure that we owe a lot to many unsung heros and heroines, but there is very little written record. (Shall I dance or shall I write?) No-brainer!

Thread Information