View Poll Results: What do you think of WCS?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never tried it

21 9.63%
  • Tried it, don't like it

18 8.26%
  • Would like to try it

43 19.72%
  • Love it!

136 62.39%
Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: West Coast Swing

Commercial Operator

West Coast Swing

We need a WCS thread here surely....

There is a new UK West Coast Swing site if anyone's interested, it's run by Catriona Wiles - http://www.westcoastswing.co.uk

Re: West Coast Swing

There's no option for "tried it, meh".
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. Yes, the best WCS dancers look stunning, but I reckon that's because they're great dancers, not because of the dance.
    I reckon I need some more classes before I can appreciate it. So, going to http://www.westcoastswing.co.uk ...

This website is designed to be the "one stop shop" for all information pertaining to West Coast Swing throughout the UK.
    ... and it goes on to mention one weekly class, two one day events... and that's it - "throughout the UK". Is WCS dying or something?

WCS is yummy

We have a fab WCS teacher here too, Louisa, she's magical.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper
    I reckon I need some more classes before I can appreciate it. So, going to http://www.westcoastswing.co.uk ...
    ... and it goes on to mention one weekly class, two one day events... and that's it - "throughout the UK". Is WCS dying or something?
    I looked at the same web-site and found details on 6 weekly classes, venues including Bristol, London, Oxford, Cheshire and Edinburgh, a series of regular monthly workshops, and 2 other workshops. Like many other dance website run by teachers/promoters, it gives prominence to her own classes, and mentions other venues on the 'Links' page.

WCS is definitely not for everyone. Neither is Modern Jive, or Lindy for that matter. Some people don't like the music, others don't like the technique. Perhaps the most frequent reason from experienced dancers is the idea of going back to being a beginner again. However there are more people regularly dancing WCS in the UK now than there ever was in the past.

David

The American Gigolo

There's no option for "tried it, meh".
    I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    WCS is an extremely stylish dance which is open to loads of interpretation by both the lead and follow, much more so than many other styles. It can be danced to a variety of music types, and shows extreme control in moving your body.

Yes, the best WCS dancers look stunning, but I reckon that's because they're great dancers, not because of the dance.
    Not so sure about this. Southport this past June was a great example. A couple of evening cabaret performances by all equally good dancers, but which got the biggest applause, screams, etc. If I remember right it was Tatiana & Jordan with their amazing WCS routine.

WCS is not dying at all! A couple years ago there was very little WCS and now we have world professionals visiting the UK on a regular basis along with several venues designated strictly as WCS. WCS is a challenge to most of the general MJ dancers, so it will take time for them to get to grips with the basics, but I reckon once they have the basics and see what they can do with the dance most will be hooked.

Brady

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Nope WCS is definately on the up in the UK.

Paul Warden teaches at Oxford on a Monday, Farnham on a Tuesday and Surbiton on a Friday as well as running monthly Sunday workshops at Bisley.

So with Cat running Wednesday's at Hammersmith and hopefully some more T dances (please as I couldn't make the last one!!!) as well as workshops, I'd say it's definately on the up.

Also Angie puts out a WCS Newsletter that includes all details of WCS classes etc (not just restricted to the London area) She can normally be found at Hammersmith or Surbiton but if you don't know her please PM me if you would like to be added to her mailing list. (we love Angie )

Angel xx

Well I guess there was a point where Modern Jive didn't exist in the UK and look where it is now.

I have nibbled at WCS for a while now with taster classes at weekenders and workshops at Bisley but the lack of regularity of that approach meant that I never got the dance "in my bones". The excellent course of 6 lessons that Cat gave at Beach Boogie sorted that out and really made me want to go to regular classes.

Being in the wilds of Kent and feeling like I have to commute to West London for almost everything out of the ordinary I was resigning myself to the idea of having another dance style to add to my list of things to commute for.

Fortunately a local (to kent) organiser has sorted something out and now Cat will be teaching at Dartford every thursday from the new year. Yay!

If you have been dancing for sometime then it is never fun being at the bottom of the learning curve again when learning a new dance. You have to have a darn good motivation to put yourself through that pain (it is even worse when learning the 10 dances of ballroom and latin). For me, that motivation is the smoothness of the dance, being able to utilise a wider range of music, the ability of the woman to take over the lead,...the list could go on.

At present I feel that WCS is growing but has not yet achieved some degree of "critical mass". I don't know if it ever will but I still think it is a dance that can feel and look both graceful and exciting.

So many things I want to do and only one lifetime to fit them all in.

I had done one or two 'taster' classes at weekenders and never really got 'into' it. I then did 2 classes 2 days in a row at Southport and that seems to have been enough to get me very interested. Alas, no classes in NI so its never going to be anything I get very far with, but I would love to learn it and will take any opportunities that I do get to do so.

Blog Entries

I have tried it a few times and loved it.
    The thing that I particularly liked about it was the "ooze" element but it is beyond me to describe that in words to anyone who doesn't feel it instantly.
    There's a scene in GI Blues where Elvis is romancin Juliet Prowse, herself a wonderful show dancer, where a German squeezebox band are playing a traditional song in traditional style and she asks him how he likes the music and he makes a face and says it don't ooze, Juliet says "was is dis ooze" so he grabs a gitar (sic) and turns it into "Tonight's All Right for Love" and there we have "ooze".

It's the lazy element I think, WCS lends itself to dancing off the end of a beat, which means more control and emersion in the music than many MJ dancers currently enjoy...IMHO, the ability to hear this and act on it is what will make WCS work so well and feel so good, but don't know if this is teachable, might be something that people have the ability to do or don't have the ability to do, and the teaching just brings it to the fore if it's there already?

Anyone with me?
    Or is this just in my head?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I looked at the same web-site and found details on 6 weekly classes, venues including Bristol, London, Oxford, Cheshire and Edinburgh, a series of regular monthly workshops, and 2 other workshops. Like many other dance website run by teachers/promoters, it gives prominence to her own classes, and mentions other venues on the 'Links' page.

David
    can't see Bristol ....

if anyone can please let me know

Ohhh, really interested in the Wednesday night WCS class at Kent House. Is the beginners class for real beginners - those that have not tried it before, not even a taster at a weekend beginner?

Wouldn't want to make an **** of myself and turn up at the wrong class. Does anyone else go there?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Ohhh, really interested in the Wednesday night WCS class at Kent House. Is the beginners class for real beginners - those that have not tried it before, not even a taster at a weekend beginner?

Wouldn't want to make an **** of myself and turn up at the wrong class. Does anyone else go there?
    Yes, it is possible to come as a complete beginner to this class. Cat does try to vary the beginner's class a bit each week, so that the non beginners who still come don't get bored, but there are still a lot of basic patterns and techniques covered each time. Come along, don't be scared, we're all very friendly and don't bite (unless you ask nicely).

Is there any point in learning WCS, as so few people dance it?

Compare the set of WCS classes to the set of modern jive classes?

Of course, I could be missing some -- so sign me up for the newsletter

The Bristol forum mentioned http://www.crazygang.biz as having a WCS (one off?) class soon.

SpinDr

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy
    can't see Bristol ....

if anyone can please let me know
    Copied out of Angie's WCS October Newsletter: (Thank you Angie )

Sunday 16th October
    SUK Beginners Workshop in Bristol

West Coast Swing. Join Us For This 3 Hour Workshop.
    WCS can be danced to a varied range of Music from Blues to Country, from
    Soul to Pop, making it one of the most versatile of couples dance forms.

1. Will involve a combination of basic 6 count patterns.
    2. Easy & Fun dance patterns.
    3. Basic technique, lead & follow.

Come along & bring your partner or friends. Find out more about the dance
    team and socials. You don¹t want to miss this one.
    Sunday 16th Oct 05. time: 12pm - 3pm. Cost: £20.00 couple - £12 single
    Venue: Scotch Horn Community Center, Brockway Road, Nailsea, Bristol, BS48
    B1Z

online at http://www.crazygang.biz/
    tel: 07796 140205
    email: chrisadams266@hotmail.com

Hope that helps

Angel xxx

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spindr
    Is there any point in learning WCS, as so few people dance it?
    If everyone took this attitude, then I don't think anybody in the UK would be dancing anything apart from traditional folk dances and perhaps ballroom.

While it may not be for everyone, there certainly seems to be a growing number of people in the UK dancing it and it may be worth jumping on the bandwagon early to get a wee head start.

I absolutely love it and can't wait till January as a few of us are heading across the pond to learn a bit more and dance it for a week

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    WCS is definitely not for everyone. Neither is Modern Jive, or Lindy for that matter. Some people don't like the music, others don't like the technique. Perhaps the most frequent reason from experienced dancers is the idea of going back to being a beginner again.
    Would any of the people voting "tried it, don't like it" care to pop in and say why they didn't like it?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet
    The thing that I particularly liked about it was the "ooze" element but it is beyond me to describe that in words to anyone who doesn't feel it instantly.
    I think you did a pretty good job of describing it! But I would say don't expect to feel this instantly, because I don't think it can really come until you've got the basics mastered, and you're not worrying about footwork, compression, tension, what you're leading, etc..

After some years of doing WCS, it is still rare that I really hit that high of being able to freestyle without conscious thought, and it just being the music that's in control, but when that happens, it's more than just oozing!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Would any of the people voting "tried it, don't like it" care to pop in and say why they didn't like it?
    Perhaps there should be a "Like it" option.

There's nothing between don't like it and love it.

WCS rocks!

But how many years do I have to do it before I don't feel like a beginner anymore

Seriously, there are more and more people who are getting to grips with this luscious dance style, and so more and more occasions when you get a dance that just begins to 'hit the spot'. Those occasions when you feel it instead of think it.

M

Well I just have to echo the positive vibes mentioned so far.

When I first saw WCS I knew I just had to take it up.

Living in Woking I seem to be at the epicentre of WCS. I am so lucky I feel guilty

Of course it isnt as big as MJ, for example. The comparison is totally void but I believe the potential of it is greater than any other style around today. It has so many appealing elements - the music, the lady focus, the grounded nature of the patterns and the fact that it is leadable (the singular most important point in my book).

I just wish more people had access to it. Maybe one day

Thread Information