Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many dancers are in the UK?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How many dancers are in the UK?

Following on from my comments in this post, it just occurred to me that I could be talking rubbish (!) - there could very well be more ballroom than MJ dancers. So I'd like to know the numbers.

Looking at Ceroc.com, there appear to be 134 ceroc venues in the UK (11 in Scotland, 4 in the Northwest, 9 in the Northeast, 29 in Midlands, 7 in the West, 32 in the Southeast, 19 in East Anglia and 23 in London). Ceroc.com also says "Around 55,000 people are learning to dance with Ceroc every month.".

Assuming that's correct, and that Ceroc accounts for (rough guess) just over 50% of the MJ dancers in the UK, let's say there may be around 100,000 MJ-ers (people who regularly go to an MJ event) in the country.

For salsa, I'd guess (very very very roughly) there are maybe about half that number; I'd estimate maybe 400 club nights in the UK a week, based on listings, and maybe 100-150 people per night.

Does anyone have some more decent figures for these two dances?

Also, does anyone have some figures for the number of people doing other types of dancing?

Re: How many dancers are in the UK?

Unfortunately, the Office for National Statistics consultation on topics to be included in the 2011 Census ended on 5 August 2005 (I :heart: Google) - but maybe we could ask for a dancing question to be included in 2021?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Following on from my comments in this post, it just occurred to me that I could be talking rubbish (!) - there could very well be more ballroom than MJ dancers. So I'd like to know the numbers.

Looking at Ceroc.com, there appear to be 134 ceroc venues in the UK (11 in Scotland, 4 in the Northwest, 9 in the Northeast, 29 in Midlands, 7 in the West, 32 in the Southeast, 19 in East Anglia and 23 in London). Ceroc.com also says "Around 55,000 people are learning to dance with Ceroc every month.".

Assuming that's correct, and that Ceroc accounts for (rough guess) just over 50% of the MJ dancers in the UK, let's say there may be around 100,000 MJ-ers (people who regularly go to an MJ event) in the country.

For salsa, I'd guess (very very very roughly) there are maybe about half that number; I'd estimate maybe 400 club nights in the UK a week, based on listings, and maybe 100-150 people per night.

Also, does anyone have some figures for the number of people doing other types of dancing?
    I can't answer your question directly, but your figures don't match.

If there are 134 ceroc nights and you accept the figure of 55,000 people, then that would be (if they all danced weekly) 400+ people for each event. That's much higher than your equivalent figure of 100-150 for Salsa.

In other words, you've got twice as many Salsa events, but only half as many dancers. Are you happy that one figure or the other doesn't need adjusting? Personally I think there are more Salsa dancers than MJers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo
    If there are 134 ceroc nights and you accept the figure of 55,000 people, then that would be (if they all danced weekly) 400+ people for each event. That's much higher than your equivalent figure of 100-150 for Salsa.
    The ceroc figure is venues, not events - venues can run several events a week. But yes, it still seems a little high to me - I'm only quoting ceroc.com, not defending it. I'm happy to accept anyone else's numbers?

Personally I think there are more Salsa dancers than MJers.
    Source?

Whats it matter DJ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Whats it matter DJ?
    What does anything matter, in 5 billion years the Sun will explode...

I'm just interested, really, and wondered if anyone had some figures.

It might indicate the relative strengths of different dances if we knew how many people actually did them - for all I know, there are a million C&W line-dancers out there, swamping everyone else.

What does anything matter, in 5 billion years the Sun will explode...

I'm just interested, really, and wondered if anyone had some figures.

It might indicate the relative strengths of different dances if we knew how many people actually did them - for all I know, there are a million C&W line-dancers out there, swamping everyone else.
    Really 5 billions years?

The ceroc figure is venues, not events - venues can run several events a week. But yes, it still seems a little high to me - I'm only quoting ceroc.com, not defending it. I'm happy to accept anyone else's numbers?

Source?
    Also I'd be surprised if Ceroc "owns" as little as 50% of the MJ dancers, nationally.

Why do I think there are more Salsa dancers? a gross supposition that there are many more than 23 salsa venues in London, and that this pattern is repeated nationally.

My mind is made up - don't confuse me with the facts.

As long as there are absolutely no follow up questions
    There are exactly 673,878 dancers in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    As long as there are absolutely no follow up questions
    There are exactly 673,878 dancers in the UK
    :-)
    Go on ... just one follow up, please:

Is it or is it not the case that 673,868 of them want slower, bluesier music?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab
    Really 5 billions years?
    one week on Tuesday was already taken

Blog Entries

Also I'd be surprised if Ceroc "owns" as little as 50% of the MJ dancers, nationally.
    Probably correct, but 100K is a nice round figure.

Why do I think there are more Salsa dancers? a gross supposition that there are many more than 23 salsa venues in London, and that this pattern is repeated nationally.
    Yes, but:
    - most of those venues are 1 night / week jobs
    - most of them are much smaller than MJ venues (in fact, 100-150 looks much to high now - let's say 50-100 on average)

I only know of about 10 salsa nights a week in the North-ish London area, for example - and I'd be astonished if there were more than 20. Assume 50-ish nights a week in Greater London, - that's probably roughly the same as Ceroc nights, but with fewer numbers. So I win.

OK, fun though this banter is, does anyone know any numbers here?

Commercial Operator

No, David 100k is nice and round in the middle, but jaggy at the edges...

A nice round figure would be.... Lory!!

Go on ... just one follow up, please:

Is it or is it not the case that 673,868 of them want slower, bluesier music?
    Oh go on then I will let you

If it is that sounds like a good demographic to start up a special freestyle night

Now all I need to do is to find out how to attract all 673,000+ of them. Cant be that hard can it?

"How many dancers are in the UK?"

A lot fewer than think they are.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F
    Oh go on then I will let you

If it is that sounds like a good demographic to start up a special freestyle night

Now all I need to do is to find out how to attract all 673,000+ of them. Cant be that hard can it?
    Not hard at all: ChrisA knows most of them personally.

Yes, but:
    - most of those venues are 1 night / week jobs
    - most of them are much smaller than MJ venues (in fact, 100-150 looks much to high now - let's say 50-100 on average)

I only know of about 10 salsa nights a week in the North-ish London area, for example - and I'd be astonished if there were more than 20. Assume 50-ish nights a week in Greater London, - that's probably roughly the same as Ceroc nights, but with fewer numbers. So I win.

OK, fun though this banter is, does anyone know any numbers here?

Some Salsa clubs in London attract far more then a 100

In Hemel id guess there was 85-100 as the salsa club if that helps

There is certainly more 'jive' clubs then i ever thought , e.g Boxmoor beat etc. However what 'I thought' would have a bearing on actual numbers

im going for 670,500 but a lot of duplication

I think the acid text is office christmas parties NO-ONE dancing ceroc/jive. most never heard of it !

so on that basis i review my nos to 370 in the uk

Re salsa - can only comment on here but there are about say 10 classes per week in Belfast, with more in the area say 30 miles radius, but I only one has a class of anywhere near 100, most are classes of maybe 20 or so. Maybe 250 salsa dancers in Greater Belfast? I don't know about Derry. But not as many dancers as you would think there are by the number of salsa nights - just the same core of about 50 people who go to everything!

Point is that numbers of venues can mean a small group of lots of enthusiastic dancers, or a lot of people who go once a week - how do you work out which way to extrapolate it?

(No numbers for MJ to compare - I had an MJ evening the other week at about 10 days notice and had 45, but maybe I'm just very persuasive ).

If there are 134 ceroc nights and you accept the figure of 55,000 people, then that would be (if they all danced weekly) 400+ people for each event.
    DJ's orignal statement was 55,000 a month, which brings it down quite a bit from 400+

Either way, I wish they (the 55,000) would all come and pay us a visit, just once a year mind - I am not greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Saxby
    DJ's orignal statement was 55,000 a month, which brings it down quite a bit from 400+

Either way, I wish they (the 55,000) would all come and pay us a visit, just once a year mind - I am not greedy.
    Yes, I think it's ambigous, 55,000 members, or 55,000 admissions each month? Not quite the same...

Thread Information